Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling/buying used equipment (LONG)...  (Read 5329 times)
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 10:51:50 PM »

You need to study gun laws. In the left coast registering gun sales between individuals may be required but not in the rest of the world, especially Texas.

Clif

Yeah, I know about Texas. Left there many years ago. Never went back except to drive thru on I40 or fly thru DFW. I've heard the 'Everything is done bigger & better in Texas' story way too many times Grin

But before you start another 'left' coast comment, let me say I don't like CA either. It was relatively a not-so-bad place 30 years ago when I came out here after NASA shot it's wad with the Challenger accident and I was left holding a pink slip.

I'm close to retirement now and we're bailing from CA just as quick as we can after that. Where to unknown at this time but definitely not the Houston area from whence I came west back then. I do like Dallas area and it's not too far from my mom's place in Arkansas.

And WRT gun laws, I simply stated what I have heard people talk about around here. I only own 1 firearm and it is registered so no problem there. The point I was making is I doubt there is any traceability in MOST private firearms sales regardless of state.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WB0CJB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »

They would have to go after everyone and anyone, be it at a hamfest or yard sale. There isn't enough prisons in this country to hold every man woman and child who violated the rule if it becomes law. This country has a BUNCH more problems to deal with than some stupid first sale bill.

What did the comic character Pogo say? "We have met the enemy and he is us"

Being able to enforce that bill if it becomes law is akin to stemming the supply of illegal drugs into the US. They can't begin to do it because for every person they arrest another 50 will slip through and keep it up. IMHO they are seriously wasting their time.

WB0CJB
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »

This is specifically about copyright goods that are made and purchased overseas, and imported into the USA without permission to be resold.

It will never have impact on anything except copyright protected things purchased overseas and then imported to the USA for sale.

I think Wiley and Sons are correct. Someone bringing millions of dollars worth of foreign made copies of copyright books into the domestic market specifically for sale without permission is wrong.  Wiley should sue him, and Wiley and Son should win.

11-697 KIRTSAENG V. JOHN WILEY & SONS, INC.
DECISION BELOW: 654 F.3d 210
CERT. GRANTED 4/16/2012
QUESTION PRESENTED:
This case presents the issue that recently divided this Court, 4-4, in Costco
Wholesale Corp. v. Omega, S.A., 131 S. Ct. 565 (2010). Under § 602(a)(1) of the
Copyright Act, it is impermissible to import a work "without the authority of the
owner" of the copyright. But the first-sale doctrine, codified at § 109(a), allows the
owner of a copy "lawfully made under this title" to sell or otherwise dispose of the
copy without the copyright owner's permission.
The question presented is how these provisions apply to a copy that was
made and legally acquired abroad and then imported into the United States. Can
such a foreign-made product never be resold within the United States without the
copyright owner's permission, as the Second Circuit held in this case? Can such a
foreign-made product sometimes be resold within the United States without
permission, but only after the owner approves an earlier sale in this country, as
the Ninth Circuit held in Costco? Or can such a product always be resold without
permission within the United States, so long as the copyright owner authorized
the first sale abroad, as the Third Circuit has indicated?
KK4IKO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »

I think the reporting on this case is more alarmist than factual.  The link is to the US Supreme Court blog on this case.  The several links on the blog show the actual briefs which we can read for ourselves, before we get all up in arms based on the interpretations of others (media).  I'm of the opinion that this involves copyright law and will be interpreted by the court as such.  A similar case "Costco vs. Omega," which was found in favor of the defendant, might have had a much larger effect on resellers of goods under the First Sale doctrine.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/kirtsaeng-v-john-wiley-sons-inc/

Happy reading!'

Bruce, KK4IKO
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »

there is more commerce in illegal narcotics than all the copyright goods in the world.  so, how's one more greedhead with a room full of rabid lawyers going to keep me from buying some moldy old piece of radio junque so I have a complete set of Sparkenflamben 1000 hardware?

the more I think about this, the more I think the case should be returned as "certiorai granted in error."  alias, "go sit on your writ."
NM8D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 08:42:03 PM »

:oThe sky is falling!!!

Please, dont thint that can ever happen read
the story.
they guy was buying books overseas
Selling them in usa for 1/3 the price, its the booksellers fault,
my 1 cent  Obamas inflation
Michael
nm8d
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up