Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Symetrix 528e w/746Pro and Heil PR-781  (Read 2290 times)
KC8DDQ

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2013, 06:04:20 PM »

Hey everyone. I have and audio question for you audio guru's out there. I have a Symetrix 528e that I aquired from my company since they no longer have an AV department. They were just going to toss it and I snatched it up very quickly. I would like to utilize it with my 746PRO and my Heil PR-781 microphone. How should I hook everything up to make this work? I don't run any more power other than what the 746 puts out. I want the best sounding, clean, and articulate audio I can get. Please feel free to email me with as much details as possible. I have heard some hams on the air that sound sooo good it sounds like broadcast quality audio. I have been told that the Symetrix 528e is a VERY good unit to achieve this with.

Thanks and 73's

Paul

kc8ddq@aol.com
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »

A 528E is great for wideband broadcast use...but for ham use, the built in compressor on your ICOM and your mic will do just fine....FCC rules require good engineer practice in operating your station. The ICOM has likely a filter that cuts the SSB audio at 2700Hz or close to that. Trying to get "broadcast" audio is an oxymoron....feeding wider processed audio into the radio will likely result in splatter....You cannot get better audio out of the ICOM than it will allow....and it wont allow audio over 3kHz or so to pass....I have been in broadcast engineering since the 70s and have two 528Es myself for broadcast use...I dont use them on amateur gear because it would be a waste of the equipment..the rig and Heil mic will do just fine as is. (If they were going to chunk it, I would be suspect of whether it works ok...have you had it checked? 528Es are NOT cheap)

Chris
WB5ITT
KC8DDQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »

I would say it is probably work. This company was just cleaning out an area of old equipment that was sitting around. They used to have alot of AV equipment that they used for conferences and corporate meetings back in the day. They downsized years back and now the 528e is no longer used. I don't want to cause any interference issues by running it with my 746. What would be a good price to ask for? How could I go about getting it checked out? Any ideas? I think I would rather take the money from the sale of it and use elsewhere.

Thanks
Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: