Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 meter 144 MHz CW Interest in Houston  (Read 686 times)
K5END

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2008, 01:25:02 PM »

Just looking to see if anyone in the Houston area is interested in the CW portion of the 2 meter band for LUNCHTIME morse code QRP CW QSO's.

I'm not talking about the FM tone thing on 2 meters, but real CW, so as to not interfere with FM phone.

There is a good, covert spot in my high rise office window for a two meter horizontally polarized 2 or 3 element yagi or even a small corner reflector antenna.

As yet, I don't have a proper CW 2 meter rig that I could dedicate for lunchtime use, but if there is any interest, I'd get that set up sometime after FD.

I'd think it would even be a relatively simple and small rig to build, if it were to be used only for QRP CW morse code limited to the CW-only portion of 2 meters.

Again, if there is any local interest, I'll start shopping or looking for home brewed schematics.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 04:31:56 PM »

Not in Houston, can't help on that one.

But wouldn't 40m be a better place for this?  You wouldn't be restricted to just the Houston area, and there's *always* CW activity, 24 hours a day, on that band....
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 05:18:57 AM »

Steve, you're such a kidder. <grin>

How could I conceal a decent 40 meter antenna to work the window in my high rise office?

As I said, a 2 meter antenna would fit the office nicely and it would not be blocked by any structural members--except glass.

This is for lunchtime qso's and practice.

Or maybe I could daisy chain a two strings of mini blinds and feed them as a horizontal dipole? :-)

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »

"How could I conceal a decent 40 meter antenna to work the window in my high rise office? "

Little magloop?

http://www.n3ox.net/projects/magloop/magloop1_lg.jpg made me 70 easy contacts around the country on 40m in my brief field day operation last night ;-)

Of course, a four foot octagon might be a bit much for your window...

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 05:21:43 PM »

Mag loop is idea.  I have an MFJ "Super Hi-Q Loop" antenna that's only 3' in diameter, would fit in a window easily, and actually works quite well on 40.

When camping, using the mag loop at 6-7' above ground hanging from a tree limb with a rope, a midday it makes contacts out to about 250-300 miles.  At night, much farther.

It works "far" better than a good whip antenna on 40m does.

WB2WIK/6
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 07:43:05 PM »

Yes, the loop would fit just fine with more than enough room, with half the field going out the window and the other half of the field permeating the office space.

And it would look GRAND, for anyone who loves ham radio.

See the problem now? Check the OP, for someone wanting a quiet, useful low-profile pastime during lunch.

Not to belabor the detail, but again, the 2 m would fit nicely in the area and remain covert.

If 2m is not a good project for local CW, that is what it is.

It begs the question why we have a CW 144 MHz section if it's not worth using or no one is using it?

Same question applies to 222 MHz.

KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 10:18:48 AM »

144MHz CW & SSB seems to be pretty popular in certain areas, e.g. the densely populated Northeast US.

Likewise, I understand 222 MHz FM is popular in the RI/S.E. MA area among others. Don't know about 222 weak signal modes though. Trouble w/ 222 is it's exclusive to region 2, so there's less gear than for 6, 2 & 70
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »

144 MHz CW is most definitely used, and I use it myself pretty often.

However remember 2m CW is a "weak signal" band and mode and as such most operations are chasing "DX" via meteor scatter, moonbounce or very extended tropo, and not local chit chatting which can be done with much less equipment via FM repeaters.

I've been on 2m CW for 43 years and have never heard any "daytime" activity other than during the occasional contest weekend.  That's because people are at work during weekdays and "range" on two meters is such that you would not routinely be working people thousands or even hundreds of miles away; as such, the quantity of people within your local working radius who are properly equipped, while using a small window antenna is very, very small.  I'd say in most places, it would be about "zero."

Almost all 2m CW activity is at night (after dark, when tropo conditions peak), during meteor showers and when the moon is visible so the band/mode can be used to its best advantage.

That's why I recommened 40 CW instead.  Greater range using extremely modest equipment, larger population using the band.

I've used the MFJ Loop in a window lots of times, mostly from hotel rooms, and nobody's ever commented on it.  Outside on the balcony's better.

(I started a list of hotels having accessible and usable balconies attached to rooms, specifically for hams who travel a lot -- because many hotels don't have this feature at all, and in many hotels the windows don't even open!  The Disneyland Hotel complex in Anaheim is very ham-friendly as all the suites have sitting balconies with sliding patio doors for access, and I've  worked the world from them.)

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: