Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much CB is still out there?  (Read 12803 times)
KD0PFK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 05:54:03 PM »

Along with my 2m/70cm radio, I have a CB.  I drive a lot and the CB has saved me many hours when the truckers discus where to get off the interstate and what route to take.  Also, if you CB has weather warning it can be a life saver.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 02:35:05 AM »

I used to have one when I was younger and all my friends had em'. That thing made one heck of a speed trap detector.. you knew where every single "smokey" was on the highway. You also knew what every traffic jam was and it was more entertaining to listen to than most of the AM or FM broadcast stations. It was pretty darn useful. I've found that having a 2m mobile on the highway is useless. I've tried tuning to 146.52 during traffic jams to find the radio silent. I just wait them out silently, yearning for the days of CB when I'd already know how far it was backed up, and what exit I could jump off to get around it. These days I don't really need the "smokey" info anymore as most of the time I tend to just keep up with traffic in the middle lanes Smiley

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 07:20:06 AM »

A modern smartphone has maps with real-time traffic info. Saved us some time during a road trip this summer when the highway came to a crawl and we used the cellphone to show us where to get off and how to navigate through the nearby town and where to get back on the highway. It's surprising how many people I talk to who don't realize their cellphone will show accurate real-time traffic conditions for major roads and highways. Google's product is best but the new iOS map app has it too.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 04:17:30 AM »

A modern smartphone has maps with real-time traffic info. Saved us some time during a road trip this summer when the highway came to a crawl and we used the cellphone to show us where to get off and how to navigate through the nearby town and where to get back on the highway. It's surprising how many people I talk to who don't realize their cellphone will show accurate real-time traffic conditions for major roads and highways. Google's product is best but the new iOS map app has it too.

The only problem with that is the charges that appear every month for apps on some smartphone bills.  I just got a smartphone, and the charge for my phone would be $6 a month for that app.  If you use enough of those apps, the extra charges easily double your smartphone bill.

What I use is my tried and true GPS navigator with its traffic receiver.  Since I have one with lifetime map updates included, it costs me nothing (except the original purchase price of the GPS) to use.
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »

I recently drove from Southern Nevada to Ohio. I was by myself and somewhat bored. I have the CB frequencies programmed into my mobile HF rig, and I spent probably 20 hours listening to "Channel 19" during the trip. The trip was on major freeways the whole way other than maybe 50 miles.

I think I heard maybe three people on CB, channel 19 during the whole 20 hours. Not much entertainment value in that.

I probably spent a total of two hours on 17 meters SSB during the trip, and worked all kinds of DX FWIW. It was all run of the mill EU stuff, but DX never the less.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 07:27:22 AM »

I think I heard maybe three people on CB, channel 19 during the whole 20 hours. Not much entertainment value in that.

Did you think about putting out a call?
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 08:35:49 AM »

No
I wasn't really interested in working anyone on CB.
Secondly, my mobile HF ham rig doesn't transmit on the CB band.

I turned it on just to see what was on there and to possibly give me some entertainment during the drive. FWIW: this is a drive of three  L O N G  days.
But, there was nothing to hear. Obviously my set-up wasn't optimal for CB. The antenna was tuned for the 10 meter band.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 08:55:27 AM »

Guess it depends where you are.

Where I am in suburban Los Angeles there isn't much local CB activity at all.  I can tell that by lack of interference on the low end of 28 MHz (CW/digital section) -- there really isn't any at all, unless the band's wide open then some stuff comes in from other regions.

Probably more CB activity close to major interstates between metro areas, where a lot of truckers will be using it.
MDNITERDER

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 12:45:54 PM »

I still hear local activity here in so cal in the day and even in the evening. I have one installed in my truck, You never know, some things they talk about are actual normal conversations not the typical neanderthal conversations I used to hear 15 years ago.
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 01:08:23 PM »

I don't see why you thought it was nessessary to bring the neanderthal down to their level.  Angry

MDNITERDER

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »

LOL your quite right, its like saying its so easy even a caveman can do it, why hurt the poor caveman and neanderthals Wink
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 04:31:29 AM »

...But, there was nothing to hear. Obviously my set-up wasn't optimal for CB. The antenna was tuned for the 10 meter band.

For receiving, your set-up was fine.  An eleven meter antenna wouldn't get you anything more than you did hear.
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 08:54:55 AM »

Whether or not it is worthwhile depends where you travel.  In addition to 2 meters, I toss a CB in the car a few times a year when I drive from northern California to Idaho. There are some stretches, eh vast moonscapes, across the Nevada and SE Oregon desert where there is phenomenal coverage from 2 meter systems completely void of activity. Cell coverage is very minimal.  The truckers on that route wait til they get a visual on each other, call by trailer name, and exchange some road info, and then go back to driving. Or they just broadcast out hazards. The road info has been useful enough at times that I always keep a CB with me. A stretch of road whited-out in the winter and a night time accident blocking a blind curve up a canyon near the Idaho boarder come to mind. When the band is open CH19 is a freakish bedlam. I hope your CB has an RF gain control. Smiley
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 08:18:04 PM »

The rf does not know if its electrons are being used on a ham band or cb....Smiley

Some of the CB operators apparently don't know either  Grin

<LOL>  
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 08:33:32 AM »

Everyone knows the CBers of old have moved to 75 meter phone...

Gene
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: