Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much CB is still out there?  (Read 14782 times)
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2012, 01:11:02 PM »

And 14.313
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 03:39:45 PM »

And 14.313

That's where the psychopaths hang out.

Gene
AD5VM

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 08:45:28 PM »

Dang! I clicked on this link to see how many people flamed this guy for asking for opinions on installing a CB! What I saw was a couple dozen legitimate arguments FOR installing it. Hell, I'm sold!! I want a CB now!
   In the 80's I was way too young to drive but I had a Cobra 142 GTL base station in my bedroom and there was a lot of local CB traffic in my town, it was a blast getting on there at night and talking / listening to the people cruising main street. There were several other kids around town that would "hang out" on "our" channel and do "fox hunts" (more like Marco-Polo on the air)  Plus, working a foreign station on SSB was a real thrill, Hell, working someone in the next town was a thrill now that I think about it.
I agree with all of you, I'm tired of spending money on VHF/UHF gear just to have it sit in my truck and every once in a while give a repeater ID.  looking on Amazon,  Uniden has a new one with a color display, SSB and weather band for $150.

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BEARCAT-980SSB-Sideband-WeatherBand/dp/B007B5ZAES/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351654521&sr=1-1&keywords=uniden+ssb
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 02:05:04 PM »

Sorry but I can't help you here .... tried CB one time in 1976 and decided there had to be a better way. Got a Novice ticket and have been a ham ever since. Never even turned on or listened to the 'CRAP BAND' in over 36 years.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 02:10:37 PM »

I toss a CB in the car a few times a year .......

I tossed one UNDER a car once Smiley

Nice call .... my previous call was KI6LO

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »

Put a CB in the shack.  Hook it to a low gain antenna like a 3' firestick.  Turn the Squelch up to at least S7-8.  Best cheap 12/10 meter band opening detector you can find.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »

Sandy recently paid a visit and took out all power, landlines, cell phone repeaters, ham repeaters, and just about everything else.  The only non hams in the area who could still use communications to request information or assistance, were the ones who had CB radios in their trucks and cars.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »

5VM:  Ham radio is about the many facets of communications.  Like it or not, CB is a form of communications. 

I've been hamming since 1956 and have tried and or use AM, FM, SSB, CW, Satellites, QRO, QRP and yes, CB.  I will also say that I used to have a great deal of fun with CB and talking to the locals in town and chatting with truckers going through to all parts of the country. 

As a ham I also was able to help many CB'rs with their antenna problems and even worked on their radios.  I was also able to convince many that they were trashing all 23 (and then 40) channels with their "power mics" and that their so called "linears" were not linear.

While most of us look at CB as a never healing ulcer, those with a clear mind will understand that there are times when CB is invaluable..... like when traveling or when all communications have been knocked out. 

This is why the "flaming" didn't happen when the question, "How much CB is still out there?" was asked.

Al - K8AXW
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »

Back when I was in junior high school several of my friends and I got CBs. This was also when most CB channels were still fairly civil and everyone used their FCC-issued call signs! I met a lot of nice folks on the air, joined the local CB club and really had a ball. While in high school I got my ham license and left CB behind, but by then the airwaves had become a free-for-all.

A few years ago I had a job that kept me on the road quite a bit, so I carried a CB with me. It was very handy for traffic information and directions, and I actually had a few nice conversations with other drivers. I also discovered that if I carried a wattmeter and some wire with me I could make a few bucks by fixing faulty antenna installations. Truckers will let you know when their radio doesn't "get out" and most of the time it was due to lack of a counterpoise (darn fiberglass bodies!) So yes, there is still some CB activity and it still has some usefulness.

73, Vince K4JC (or KQU-8960...remember, if you held a Class C or D CB license it was converted into a lifetime license!)
AD5VM

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2012, 05:33:05 PM »

AXW;
   I agree with you 100%! But in my twelve years as an occasional eham thread reader, it seems like whenever someone brings up CB, they get blasted. Now, I'll admit, I haven't had a CB in twenty years, but last week the UPS man delivered the aforementioned Uniden 980SSB and a Browning NMO 11 meter antenna and magnetic mount. I put it on my truck and have been monitoring the band on my way to and from school. I've actually had a few lengthy civilized conversations on it. It seems the CB equivalent of CQ is to call for a radio check. I've answered quite a few of these with a 'sounds good here on blah blah highway near exit so and so, what's your 20?' and a nice conversation has always followed.
   Right now it's just sitting in the passenger seat but I might have to go ahead and mount it somewhere! Or at least put it in the shack next to the 7600. 
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2012, 03:05:25 AM »

CB is great for local ragchewing without the annoyances of having to remember to follow protocols. You can discuss, rant and rave about all the topics that should never be heard on a repeater (politics, religion). It is a far more freer form of communications. When out on the road in the USA at least it is still a useful tool and you're more likely to find a random person travelling the same way to have a conversation with than you are on 2 meters.

CB has its place and fills a need like any form of communication.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2012, 08:31:03 AM »

Back in 1990 my wife and I was traveling by car through Europe.  We pulled off the Autobahn someplace in Germany and I noticed a big truck pull into a parking spot across from me. 

Naturally the first thing I noticed was the antenna on the truck roof.  I was immediately curious and went over to the truck with the idea of talking to the driver so see if they used CB in Germany or something else.

I was startled to see a woman driver drop down from the cab but decided to attempt to talk to her..... especially since she saw me coming and had that "what the hell do YOU want" look on her face!

Shortening this story, they in fact did use CB back then and even used "handles."  Her handle was "Undercover Lover!"  (Literal translation)

K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2012, 09:00:43 AM »

The rf does not know if its electrons are being used on a ham band or cb....Smiley 

Some of the CB operators apparently don't know either  Grin

You win, you were the first to leave a negative comment, and on only the second reply to the thread!
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2012, 11:55:06 AM »

The rf does not know if its electrons are being used on a ham band or cb....Smiley 

Some of the CB operators apparently don't know either  Grin

You win, you were the first to leave a negative comment, and on only the second reply to the thread!

Negative comment?  More like a very funny comment.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »

I talk every night (to 2 other hams, no less) on restored TRC-455. I never move off channel 32. Might as well be a one channel CB. We just ragchew. Nothing else. Anyone can join, and every so often we get someone to chime in. As far as wise-asses, we simply ignore them. Don't even answer. They are trouble for like 5 minutes, and then they are gone. No funny lingo. Just English.

For the road, a CB is superior for road info. The 2M/440 crowd cannot touch it. The truckers are a wealth of info.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: