Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Begali ?  (Read 9298 times)
M0AWN

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:43:18 PM »

I'm finally intending to treat myself to a Begali twin paddle.

Trouble is which ?

I've read all the reviews and all owners sing their praises with no real short comings  Undecided Undecided Undecided

So come on men ! what is the best paddle for a 60 year old that trolls along at 25-30 wpm !!!    Grin Grin Grin
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 02:37:32 PM »

Dont drive with a formula 1 in city traffic. Too expensive.

Bencher. (Never change a winning horse) for 25 - 35 wpm.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »

I have a Begali Simplex Basic and it is perfect.
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »

I have the Begali Simplex Professional---with the black base and the red finger pieces, and it's perfect for me.
Ernie
VE3GNU
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:22:01 PM »

I also have a Begali Simplex which I really like. It is worth mentioning that the Simplex differs from
most of the other Begali paddles in that it uses springs for the return force rather than magnets.
Magnetic return is not for everyone .. I find that there is a bit of "sticky-ness" with magnetic return
so I like the Simplex. I do recommend splurging and getting the optional fingerpieces as the Simplex
usually comes with plastic ones. 

My suggestion is ask around and see if any local hams that you know have Begali paddles and ask if you can give them a try, before you buy.  All of the Begali paddles are wonderful.

Cheers,

Michael VE3WMB
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:59:54 PM »

I bought a Begali Simplex and after 3 months I sold it. I hated it! I found that at >40 wpm I was getting extra dits. I think it was K0RS who had the same problem and attributed it to a design flaw in the placement of the fulcrum. We both know how to send CW. Regardless, I sold it for a slight loss. I thought the Begali would replace my Kent paddles, nope. In my opinion Kent is the best.

For <40wpm it really does not matter what you use. The Kent keys, for the money, are a STEAL!!!

paul
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 08:22:34 PM »

What's the matter with a Kent paddle?
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 02:03:21 AM »

Again: Don't use a formula-1 racing car in city traffic.

That is a waste of money.

Listen to Paul  K3STX, he knows where he is laking about, he wrote:"For <40wpm it really does not matter what you use" (Same so with headphones)

Kent dual paddle, indeed is a perfect key when you don't like the spongy construction of the Bencher.

Here in Holland PA3DEB replaced the bending Kent  plastic finger pieces with Begali stiff metal. Look at
http://www.ksites.nl/pa3deb/pics/IMG_0132.jpg and
http://www.ksites.nl/pa3deb/pics/IMG_0135.jpg

you better do that  with brass screws with recessed head, and thread in the paddle arm, no nuts.

73 Bob
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:33:51 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 04:10:04 AM »

Again: Don't use a formula-1 racing car in city traffic.
That is a waste of money.

Bob, maybe you'll like my portable paddles for QRP work:

http://www.duke.edu/~kuzen001/mousetrap3.html

They really do work pretty well!   Wink
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 04:19:02 AM »

I've used a lot of keys over the years (and I still have them all).  But my Begali Sculpture is the finest I've ever used.  Extremely smooth at my 25-35 WPM typical speeds.  It just feels right.  I can't imagine using another key in the future.

Phil - AD5X
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 04:47:25 AM »

I bought a Begali Signature (SN42) many years ago and still enjoy it every day.  (Be sure to get the gold contact option -- it makes a difference -- I did the retrofit.)  The adjustments are set for nearly zero clearance and they hold that way forever.  What a joy to use! 

Regarding the car driving analogy -- well I also used to drive a VW diesel Rabbit...  and I used to use a Bencher...  very comparable.  Do yourself a favor -- get the Begali and don't look back in the rear-view mirror!

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI  Grin   
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 08:24:57 AM »

I got a Simplex several years ago and am very happy. Only when the subject comes up on E-ham, do I even think about the brand name of the key, it has become such a essential part of the shack.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 09:24:39 AM »

[Is that not the guy living in wealth by selling overpaid products?

Just for the record, I do NOT have anything against Mr. Begali or his paddles.  Smiley  I'm just cheap and wanted something light and inexpensive I could carry around outside, something that I could easily replace if I left it outside in the rain.  Wink  73!
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 11:30:16 AM »

Simplex anything.  Hated paddles until I got mine.

My 2 cents.

73, JP, K8AG
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 08:10:44 PM »

Begali Sculpture.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: