Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to manage curly cable?  (Read 916 times)
K7RNO

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:26:47 AM »

I have a 55 ft "roll" of LMR400 waiting to be installed for a new antenna. What is a good way to get the curls out of it when I lay it?

It will come into a gable, run through the attic, then down into the garage, along ceiling and wall for a bit, and then through an inside wall into the shack.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:34:14 AM »

To start with, unroll, rather than pulling the cable off the end of
the roll.  That keeps it from accumulating a twist.

Then pull it straight and leave it a few days (preferably in a warm place)
to let the plastic reset itself.
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:00:52 AM »

If the cable is on one of those cable spools, stick a piece of 1/2" to 1" conduit/pipe through the ends and set the pipe onto two chairs up against the back of the chair. Pull the cable slowly and in a straight line away from the chairs, the back of the chair facing you to help hold the pipe on the chair.

Anything close to this will greatly help you keep away from the yelling and swearing.

If the cable is NOT on a spool but just wound into a coil, cut off any ties holding into a coil shape. Next, get the most accessible end of the cable and place it under something substantial in size and weight. Then slowly unroll the cable as you walk away from the weighted end by holding the coil with at least one hand holding the coil together. Similar to the way you would walk a car tire across your yard, hand over hand, just continue slowly unrolling it.

Not the best explanation, but hopefully you understand how I am trying to explain it.

Joe / AJ3O
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:01:37 AM »

Thank you for the tips. As soon as it stops snowing and warms up a bit, I will straighten it in the backyard. I think bending it straight as it comes off the roll will help too, no?

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 08:33:32 AM »

Thank you for the tips. As soon as it stops snowing and warms up a bit, I will straighten it in the backyard. I think bending it straight as it comes off the roll will help too, no?

Most of the curl isn't from the wire, but from the plastic jacket. Straighten it out and let it sit.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
G7DMQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 10:43:41 AM »

I had a roll of probably 100' of thick walled RG8 which had been on the reel for 20 years or more and set almost solid!

I sat the reel in the bath having sealed the ends with tape and let it sit in very hot water for half an hour - after which time it was as flexible as RG58.  Unrolled it in the garden and pegged it out in a straight line.  Once it cooled, it had lost almost all the curl.  I rolled it up again but with a 3' diameter.  A couple of weeks later when I came to use it - it laid in a fairly straight line.

Best wait for your XYL to go out before putting it in the bath - it goes down as well as using the dishwasher to clean engine parts!

Si
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »

it goes down as well as using the dishwasher to clean engine parts!

Hey... never though of that. First, I'll fluff up the bed in the dog house.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: