Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Damn this Modern Stuff is Good!  (Read 4705 times)
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 01:47:43 PM »

I had a G Shock back in the late 90s that kept lousy time.  It was off 3 minutes every month.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »

I believe "G-Shock" is a model of Casio watches, not a brand by itself.

As far as alarm clocks, my hearing has gotten so bad that I can't rely on a regular alarm beeping to wake me up if I'm really sound asleep.  So, enter the Casio Hunter/Fisherman Watch.  I've never hunted, and haven't been seriously fishing for a few decades, BUT this watch has a vibrating mode that would wake me up if I was dead!

About the only thing I don't like about it is that I can't put a regular band on it - like a Twist-o-flex®.

Best watch I ever had was a Casio with thermometer.  With its internal adjustment, I could regulate it to within half a second every 3 months.  The thermometer was accurate as long as it stayed on my arm and was therefore at a pretty constant ambient.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »

My favorite scene in Planes Trains and Automobiles was when John Candy tried to rent a hotel room with $2 and a "Casio".

"I'm gonna have to say good night."

I know the G Shock is a line of Casios.  Undecided  I looked at the thing for years on my wrist until the battery died.  That was the exact moment I started relying on my Nextel i1000 for the time, which, BTW, kept better time than the "Casio".

Not sure if it still applies, but CSX made Timex watches the standard for all employees because of their accuracy.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 05:19:49 AM »

My favorite scene in Planes Trains and Automobiles was when John Candy tried to rent a hotel room with $2 and a "Casio".

I just duplicated that scene the other night to my wife when my $27 Casio Time Wave arrived, sweeping the unstrapped watch across my shirt sleeve.  "Mmmm.... what'd you get in the mail today?  ".......a CASIO..!!"  A very memorable movie scene.
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »

I recently had a couple Accutron watches repaired. They were my uncles, then my dad's and now that they are both dead, I got them. At the time they were made, they were state of the art (prior to quartz watches). I was surprised that after only one day, the time was off by a couple minutes. This prompted me to do an hour or so of internet reading on watch accuracy. I was amazed at how inaccurate watches were, not so long ago. I never before wondered what was considered accurate for a watch.
I have since taken a number of old mechanical watches in to be serviced and repaired. Watches that have been in our family for over 100 years.

I guess this is something that some people "get" and others don't. To me, they are cool and I enjoy owning them and using them. No, they are no where near as accurate as the four Casio G-Shocks I own. No, they don't set themselves to WWV, no they arn't waterproof to 10 atmospheres and you have to wind them: no solar. But, I think they are cool anyway. How many times have you had the conversation: Ham Radio ? I can use my cell phone to call anywhere in the world, what's the big deal about talking there on a radio. Well.....you either "get" it or you don't.

People enjoy owning old cars. They are not reliable, they need babied.... but they think they are cool to own and drive. These people don't care that they arn't state of the art, in fact, that is the point of them owning them. There are people who own, shoot, and hunt with muzzleloading rifles and bows. These certainly arn't on the cutting edge of technology but they add a certain something to the experience. Other people (I am one of them) enjoy owning and using tube radio gear. My tube radio gear is totally unrelaible and requires constant work to keep it going. The receivers arn't as good, they don't have DSP, no digital readouts, you have to tune up the transmitters....but, that is what pulls my chain. Owning a mechanical watch is the same train of thought. It isn't about technology, it's owning a piece of gear for the sake of owning that piece of gear. Some people "get" that, and some people don't.

AB8KT

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 04:20:58 AM »

I have a Citizen Blue Angel Skyhawk that is all titanium. it does everything and sells in the 400 to 500 range. Have had it 8 years now and very happy with it.  Grin
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 05:13:24 AM »

I've dabbled in Frequency Measuring Tests. Most hams know about that screwy sub-hobby. QST regularly mentions it.  

But did you know there are also hobbyists who spend fortunes in the quest for accurate time?
http://www.leapsecond.com/

There is a fair sized Yahoo Group called Time-nuts which is similar to the FMT-nuts group:
http://www.leapsecond.com/time-nuts.htm

Also, there is a Yahoo Group for people who agonize over precise measurement of voltage and other electrical units-- Volt-nuts:
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.volt.nuts
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:16:43 AM by K0OD » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 09:14:44 AM »

I have a Citizen Blue Angel Skyhawk that is all titanium. it does everything and sells in the 400 to 500 range. Have had it 8 years now and very happy with it.  Grin

Quick question, if you don't mind?   I looked at the Citizen "Skyhawks" (several models, I think) a year or two ago when I needed a new watch.

I'm the guy with the two cheap solar-powered WWV Casios I leave to GMT and use for logging, I mentioned them earlier in this thread.  They're darned handy for radio use but I do not like to wear a plastic watch and I will not wear a digital watch.  (Grouchy old man pet peeve. I bought a cheap analog automatic-setting watch but it was ugly, and it was hard to read besides.)

I looked at the Skyhawk/Blue Angel the last time I was looking for a watch, and it had most of what I wanted in an ideal watch: metal case, auto-setting, dual zones.  I was never sure about THIS though:  Can you set the Skyhawk's main analog dial to LOCAL time, and have the small digital display on GMT time?   And both of them are automatically set by radio signal?  That would make it a darned nice general-purpose AND ham-radio watch.

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »

The Citizen Skyhawk AT Blue Angels watch will display GMT and local time, is solar powered, and is set by WWV.  My problem is that anymore, I have a hard time seeing the damn dials and digital readouts!  I can barely make out the date under the "cyclops" magnifier on the crystal of the one I'm wearing now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:17:15 AM by K3GM » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 12:57:52 PM »

The Citizen Skyhawk AT Blue Angels watch will display GMT and local time, is solar powered, and is set by WWV.  My problem is that anymore, I have a hard time seeing the damn dials and digital readouts!  I can barely make out the date under the "cyclops" magnifier on the crystal of the one I'm wearing now.

Thanks!  The one part of the question I forgot is if the GMT time can be in 24-hour (military) format for logging--none of the photos I've seen make that clear.

I've got the same problem with tiny dials; the last watch I bought is a Seiko "dive watch."  I don't do scuba diving, but it's way easier to read with my old eyes than a regular watch.  Wink
K0JJM

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 09:31:31 AM »

The most accurate watch I  ever had was from Godfathers Pizza as a promotion about 20 years ago.  It keep almost perfectly accurate time until the battery wore out about 2 years later!  Never was the same after I replaced the battery.  Talk about a cheap,plastic watch!  Even the band was cheap, but, man, was it accurate!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: