Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI in neighbors Grundig radio 640khz  (Read 1581 times)
W4VKU

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2012, 07:28:22 AM »

Hi all,
 I have a neighbor talk to me about picking up RFI on 640Khz, when i am on HF. I am certain that it is picked up due to
 either local proximity to my station or poor filtering in the grunding.

All i have is that it is an AM/FM radio. Has connectors in the back to plug an
 external antenna etc(ext antenna is not in use now).
 Don't have a model number as yet.

Rather than chase the ghost, i plan to may be purchase a good Rx and offer it to him instead. One that is known to
 not have such issues. He listens to AM BC Dx at night and i want to help him out. Next stage is to make a Rx loop for
 him, but that comes later.

Need to solve the immediate issue. Any suggestions for a good Rcvr models say below $200?
 I have a Sony ICF7600 and on 640khz, i can hear the tone change when i key QRO on 10m.

My station is clean. Resonant antenna (steppir yagi), Yaesu ft990, Alpha 9500 amp.  I say so because, the same
 neighbor has been hearing me on one of their older TVs and the cable company came and ran some tests and said that
 they did not see any interference from a spectral purity standpoint. We plan to run some more tests next week
 and i will offer snap on ferrite chokes to wrap power cord for the TV to help out.

73s
 krish
 w4vku
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 09:32:47 AM »

If the neighbor's receiver has a coaxial input for the AM BC band the MFJ-956 Pre-selector may help. It is a series resonant LC that will attenuate your signal.

Here are the SW receivers Universal Radio stocks (none of them are close to $200): http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr.html
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:39:22 AM by WX7G » Logged
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »

Thank you for the pre-selector tip.
I think the neighbor has this grunding - http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0750.html
It looks good with all those extra antenna connectors for 50 ohm and 500ohm inputs
-krish
w4vku
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »

I have a Grunding 'yacht boy' YB400PE  that at times is absolutly swamped by an AM station about 2 miles away. Even if I flip the DX/LOCAL switch (an attenuator). Its getting into the IF section somehow. It got so bad I built a notch filter for it. Only reciever I have with the issue so maybe its a Grundig architecture thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: