Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need help on antenna install  (Read 2353 times)
WT4T

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »

Have done many installs in a lot of cars,but my new car ,a chrysler sebring convertible is hard to figure out. The top is self storing and fully automatic,with a automatic boot cover. All the normal places that you would have normally put a antenna, either with a mount or even a mag mount  won't work here because of all the moving panels. Also a lot of plastic around that part of the car. Anyone maybe has found a solution for this type of car. I could do a MNO  install on the front fender top edge,but hate to touch the body panel and mess up the paint. The panel edges around the top  parts are very tight and close spaced a normal edge mount ,lip mount won't fit in place.   any one have any ideas?
thanks for reading
dale wt4t
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:45:19 PM »

Looking at images on Google as we don't have them here in the UK, the radio antenna is on the trunk lid?

What about the rear quarter panel just in front of the rear lights? Yes you will have a hole but surely it wouldn't cost much to fix in a bodyshop? Here in the UK you'd be looking at maybe £300 to get the hole filled and repainted.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »

Many hams in our area use windshield glass mount antennas for VHF and UHF and say they work fine. In metro areas where there is not a lot of distance between you and the repeaters, it should be a reasonable compromise for your situation.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:50:13 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 03:39:50 AM »

Why don't you see if you could put an trunk edge type mount on the trunk or the hood?  Yes, you would have to be careful to make sure the moving panels wouldn't catch the cable when they're moving, but there would be no holes you would have to make.
WT4T

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:01:00 AM »

thanks for the ideas, maybe I will sit in a chair and stare at the car, hopefully will come up with a good idea or location. I think I will drop the top part way to see what might hit what when the auto top is operating. thanks to all for the suggestions.
dale wt4t
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »

Top down, steel hat, and a mag mount?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »

go under the car at the drivers side rear and weld or bolt a steel or aluminuminumiunmum bar  sticking out the corner  from under the car. mount this flat plate by bolting or welding to the sub frame or even putting a flat plate inside and outside of the spare tier well, sticking out the back. this little "trailer hitch style" antenna mount can now be drilled for any type of mount you choose, this can be done on most ant vehicle, and you do drivers side rear for a couple of reasons.  it is in the center of the roadway so the trees are taller, it is away from the sidewalk so little fingers don't "twang" the antenna, and you can see it in the rear view mirror.   a plate or bar  bolted or welded to the under side of most any car, truck,  or even dune buggy will give you a good solid well grounded mount.
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 03:27:07 AM »

How about a new vehicle like an F250.  Lots of options there.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 05:42:07 AM »

Dale, I took a look at pictures of your car and the Comet HD-5 lip mount on the hood or on the outside edge of the passenger door will work. Here's a link to pictures of the mount.

http://www.tarheelantennas.com/accessories
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »

Dale,

If your car as a fender mounted mast antenna for AM/FM radio reception, check www.sti-co.com.  They make VHF and dual band antennas that replace the factory AM/FM antenna.  They retain their ability to send good time signals to the car radio and you can't tell them from the factory jobs.  Not cheap, but a clean option.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: