The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roller inductor or band switch  (Read 10786 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »

Paul:  Checked out your work.  Very nice!!  It's always a pleasure to look over such beautiful construction.   Smiley

Al - K8AXW
WN7T

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 10:41:29 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

So if you really want frequency agility, go solid state.
The cost per watt has been steadily dropping and the number of high power devices increasing.

I love tube amps and their care and feeding. However, the supply of inexpensive Soviet era tubes and components isn't going to last forever and eBay is the great equalizer as far as pricing is concerned. When VOA shutdown most xmitter sites, there was a glut of high power components on the market. Now those same Sangamo G3 any G4 mica caps that went for $20 to $30 in auction are now commanding over $200 on eBay. Same for roller inductors. When is the last time you went to hamfest/flee market and found that pristine $20 vacuum variable cap?

Components to support high power solid state amps OTOH, seem to be more abundant these days. Couple that with light weight switching power supplies with clean output and "new" high efficiency modes of operation (i.e. class E) and you have a winning combo. 

Some of the new high power RF transistors are mind blowing with their specs and low cost. And we as hams, have not even begun to tap into the coming supply of military-grade diamond film high power semiconductors.

It's fun to see computer engineering savvy hams meld their expertise with micro controllers with high power solid state amps. I think we are going to see some beautiful sophisticated homebrew solid state amp designs in the years to come.

There's my 3 cents worth!

Paul WN7T
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: