Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boat Anchor computer parts  (Read 5594 times)
WB6DGN

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »

I realize that chances are slim to none but may as well give it a try.
I have a Compaq ProLinea 575e (original Pentium P5 processor @ 75 MHz) computer that I use for programming older radios.  I need some replacement parts, both mechanical and electrical for it.
If anyone has one of these lying around unused that they'd be willing to sell or, better yet, strip some parts off of and sell, please contact me at <callsign_tom at att.net>  Thanks for looking,
Tom WB6DGN
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:28:18 AM »

If it is  not   a laptop then  you are in some luck...

once you take the covers off a desk top  they are all pretty much  generic..

diskette drives disk drives..  display  cards..  serial,,  parallel,, modems..  all generic.
there are some that  use jumpers and do not work well or easy  with  'plug and play''

memory  is sometimes tricky..  same memory  lokking  but  different speeds.
60 nano  and  70 nanosecond   for  example.   they dont play well together.

processors  are another story..  you have to really know your stuff to be swapping them around..

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »

in that era, there were a lot of manufacturer-specific power supplies, drive mounts, sometimes goofy cables inside computers, and Compaq was one of the oddballs.  the hard drives were ATA-1 parallel, almost the old Shugart specs.  and just try to find a set of Compaq mounting rails these days!

his best bet is Craiglist or eBay, but there are some boneyard dealers out there.  a Google Shopping search for the individual parts may be a good thing to try.
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 03:02:06 AM »

Nothing generic about Compaq, if you don't believe me just try to put a US Robotics modem in one. good luck.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 04:39:42 PM »

There are very large used parts operations for PCs, they work with leasing companies, outsource service companies, and major corporations.

Spare Parts Warehouse is ONE of many out there.
http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/Compaq,Computer,Parts.aspx

Recycled Goods - Ventura, CA
http://www.recycledgoods.com/products/Compaq-Prolinea-575-Intel-Pentium-75Mhz-16MB-Ram-Tower-Computer.html

Memory and CPUs are most traded parts
http://www.kahlon.com/result.asp?modelid=1233

Here is IBM Support document for Compaq 575
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/PS2_MOST/ACROREAD/TSSFACT/TFSPC/COMPAQ/2005022.PDF
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:51:07 PM by W9GB » Logged
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 11:22:55 PM »

W9GB,
THANK YOU!  That's what I was hoping to find.  Some years ago, there was a supplier of legacy parts in the SF Bay Area but he appears to be gone.  Will get to work checking these out.  Many thanks,
Tom
WA5BL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 08:03:36 PM »

You might also check out the Goodwill Computer store. You can google it.
WA2HKA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 01:41:59 PM »

Try ebay.com or craigslist.  Some good finds on there.

Why do you have to restore this computer?  In your post, you stated you use it to program some radios.  Is there a com compatibility issue there?

Mike

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 02:28:38 AM »

Why do you have to restore this computer?  In your post, you stated you use it to program some radios.  Is there a com compatibility issue there?
Mike

Hi Mike,
My main "niche" in ham radio at the moment is refurbishing and using vintage (can't call 'em boat anchor, they're not big enough) commercial two-way gear.  Many of the first generation computer programmed (as opposed to EPROM programmed) radios were designed around the time of the 386 and 486 generation of computer.  CPU speeds at the time were in the range of 16 to 66 MHz.  The software, therefore, was designed to work with those computers.  Not being a computer "guru" I'm not sure of all the details but I understand that "timing loops" inherent in the software were designed for that range of speeds.  Long story short, that software will not work with the the "faster" computers, communication between the two being the main issue (apparently the software does not wait long enough for a reply from the radio).  That's how I understand it, anyway.  Hope this answers your question.
Tom
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 06:36:15 AM »

I have quite a pile of older computers and parts, from 386 to PIII, from boards and memory sticks to full computers.

What do you need?

73 de Jim, N2EY
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »

I have quite a pile of older computers and parts, from 386 to PIII, from boards and memory sticks to full computers.
What do you need?

Hi Jim,
Many thanks for your post.  I guess the best way to answer you is to describe what I had which I considered almost ideal for my use.  There's a lot of latitude in what I can use, however; the main criteria being SLOW.
The computer I was using, which has died, was a Compaq ProLinea 575e low profile desktop.  It used the original Pentium P5, 75MHz processor and had 16MB of RAM.  It was slow enough to handle all the DOS based programs I had encountered to date but was fast enough to run Windows 95 which allowed me to use the same computer for my SatStat program which I need for my GPS disciplined frequency standard.  It also supported a CD reader which I also need to load SatStat and some later programming software.

That computer still runs, but the Secondary IDE port has died.  It will no longer recognize a drive (my CD) connected to that port.  I did go into CMOS setup and checked the configuration and, then, rewrote it in the hope that that might clear the problem.  I also replaced the 2032 memory battery.  No help.  I wish I could find a motherboard and daughter board for that computer (two pieces due to the compact case) as I'm familiar with it and it does what I need but, at its age, I don't hold out much hope.

Hope this paints a recognizable picture of what I'm looking for and thanks for the offer of help.
Tom
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »

WB6DGN,
If you pay for shipping and handling I'll GIVE you a huge old Gateway computer. Everything over built!!! Big, heavy, has every drive you can think of and Windows XP SP 3. I do not know if any telephone modem though. PM is interested. I swear this horse must weigh close to 45 lbs.
Fred
And others mention good resources. I have good luck with eBay and have bought entire mother boards and power supplies when weird things happen.

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: