Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it a requirement to have a Pactor II or better modem to join MARS?  (Read 9172 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2014, 07:35:23 AM »

Is it a requirement to have a Pactor II or better modem to join MARS?
The application says Pactor, but doesn't specify which Pactor. I could probably run Pactor I as it is available on older TNC's. Not sure if I could swing the $1500 for a SCS modem.

"Is your station capable of transmitting and receiving a approved waveform?
(Such waveforms include MIL-STD-188-110A Serial PSK, Wide Shift FSK (RTTY), Olivia, MT63 and Pactor) "

Still using Windows XP Pro.
WD8DBY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »

There is no requirement to purchase a Pactor modem or be required to run the Pactor mode in order to join any MARS service.  The digital modes the MARS services use are all available via typical amateur software or via a freeware software program that emulates military standard communication schemes.
AFA6MD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 10:24:17 PM »

...and you don't need a new computer for those computer programs. One of the programs is FLDIGI and the NBEMS suite of programs. All runs fine on my old Windows NT laptop.

Yes, many will object that NT isn't supported anymore and could be infected by new malware, but maybe one shouldn't ever directly connect an EmComm computer to the Internet! Always remembering the motto "when all else fails" (including the Internet!).

In summary, if you don't have any computer, then your investment into an older machine will be small.
To my knowledge, DOD does not use PACTOR, so I assume it will fall completely by the wayside somewhere down the road. Feedback from the trenches: MT63 and Olivia beat all for getting through when bands are bad. Another MIL- SPEC free software you'll get upon joining, will take care of the higher speed data transfers.

W8NSI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 06:11:20 AM »

Is it a requirement to have a Pactor II or better modem to join MARS?
The application says Pactor, but doesn't specify which Pactor. I could probably run Pactor I as it is available on older TNC's. Not sure if I could swing the $1500 for a SCS modem.

"Is your station capable of transmitting and receiving a approved waveform?
(Such waveforms include MIL-STD-188-110A Serial PSK, Wide Shift FSK (RTTY), Olivia, MT63 and Pactor) "

There is no "requirement" for any of that. As for having a TNC, a PK232 can do PACTOR1 just fine and it is accepted.

If you can not find a PK232, you can always use RMS Express and the software WINMOR modem. This operation only requires a computer and suitable sound card interface. The cheapest (best) is probably a USB SignaLink. With just a computer, signalink, and radio, you can be ready to send and receive MARS messages via WL2K or any of the listed sound card digital modes.

Yes, 110A, PSK, RTTY, Olivia, MT63 are all sound card digital modes.

PACTOR is the only hardware mode but I again say that you get the same job done using WINMOR for passing messages in the WL2K world.

73 de w8nsi/nnn0uzw jim

73 de w8nsi/nnn0uzw jim
N9KWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 04:50:16 AM »

Your do not need a p1 modem or any other pactor modem for MARS. However you will find that on most nets sound card modes are used.  On Winlink especially on the MARS side, almost all stations are running p2, and now 4 as well as Winmor.  Some will allow a connection to P1 but most do not. The main reason is simple speed and connect time issues. Since they scan multiple frequencies they do not like to be tied down on any one frequency for long. The older  SCS modems are dropping in price as the new P4 Dragon is the new modem of choice. 
I will also say this, once you have run a P4 modem you will never go back to a P1 modem ever again. Winmor is about the same speed as a P2 modem and runs on just about any PC made in this century. As a side note would recommend using windows 7, 8 works but it is a pain to get up and running well.
N9KWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 05:43:31 AM »

Your do not need a p1 modem or any other pactor modem for MARS. However you will find that on most nets sound card modes are used.  On Winlink especially on the MARS side, almost all stations are running p2, and now 4 as well as Winmor.  Some will allow a connection to P1 but most do not. The main reason is simple speed and connect time issues. Since they scan multiple frequencies they do not like to be tied down on any one frequency for long. The older  SCS modems are dropping in price as the new P4 Dragon is the new modem of choice. 
I will also say this, once you have run a P4 modem you will never go back to a P1 modem ever again. Winmor is about the same speed as a P2 modem and runs on just about any PC made in this century. As a side note would recommend using windows 7, 8 works but it is a pain to get up and running well.

I should note Winlink using RMS express.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: