Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham for a month, and I hate contesters already.  (Read 14369 times)
GILGSN

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2012, 05:27:49 PM »

Especially this week-end! Can't you guys stay away from QRP calling frequencies, CW band segments and the Maritime Net on 14300?
Last night I had to find refuge in the lower part of 40m, and even there, it was hard to find a quiet space. I heard SSB stations with their 3kHz wide signals in the Extra CW part of the band! Forget 7030 and it's vicinity.. I couldn't get away from the contesters there. I just can't understand such a lack of respect. It's bullying at it's best. I've been a ham for a little more than a month, and I can't stand contesters already. I don't bother you with my hobby, don't bother me with yours!

From what I hear, WARC bands are not immune either.

You guys give Ham Radio a bad name.

Gil.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »

I think you need to learn a little bit more about how ham radio works.

Mike N2MG
WA4053SWL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 08:37:27 PM »

Do not worry, this happens only a few times a year, CQ WW DX, WPX, Arrl, If you are already tired maybe you chose the wrong hobby Cheesy, I have 28 years I've been listening to amateur contest (phone and cw) and is the part that I like, maybe you've heard before transmitting it would take more taste to hobby.
73 wa4053swl
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 02:14:15 AM »

Stop stamping your feet and join the fun. Just because you don't get it (jet) doesn't mean you will not enjoy it if you try it.
There's a very good chance you will put a couple of new DXCC's in the log.

It's like the previous poster said, these big contest are only held 2 or 3 weekends each year and you happened to stumble on THE BIGGEST contest there is. So if you really dislike contesting just turn off the radio or go to the WARC bands for this weekend.

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 04:38:17 AM »

Try not confining yourself to one mode if possible.  During these big contest, theres usually not many other contest going on in any of the other modes.  PSK, RTTY and CW are pretty normal in use during big SSB contest and vice-versa for other mode big contest.  By the way, where do you find a list of the QRP calling frequencies?
Randy
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:34:55 AM »

Go AWAY !

Come back when you have a faint IDEA of what you speak.

For now, you are not dry behind the ears.

By the way, poeple have been complaining about contests for YEARS.
DON'T THINK YOU ARE SPECIAL.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 06:10:26 AM »

This weekend is the biggest SSB contest, world wide, in the entire year.  So phone portions of bands will be filled to overflowing.  Not the time to expect "ordinary" ability to operate SSB.  CW should still be fairly normal (until the CW version of the contest).  Seems to me that your newish ham experience might be similar to a newer driver who has been driving around during mid day, or SUnday morning, and suddenly takes a drive during the peak of rush hour. 

The phone segments are crammed because this is a big deal to a lot of hams.  Will return to normal this evening.  Work some CW, if you know code, watch some TV, or take a walk, let the blood pressure drop.  Don't give up on ham radio, or contesters.
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 07:27:05 AM »

Last night I had to find refuge in the lower part of 40m, and even there, it was hard to find a quiet space. I heard SSB stations with their 3kHz wide signals in the Extra CW part of the band!

Other countries allow phone basically everywhere. It's not the "Extra CW part of the band" for everyone. It's been that way since World War II.

No contests in the WARC bands. However, there are still DX pileups and other popular activities, though, and people use WARC to get away from the contests. So they can be crowded at times.

The bands are a shared resource. Contesters have the same right to use the frequencies as you do. You're not going to have "full quieting" QSOs on HF.

Narrow filters do wonders for CW ops in these conditions.

With a little more experience you'll learn how to work around the contests. For example, this weekend is a phone contest. Thus, there is plenty of room in the CW and data segments right now. Worked some great DX on 15 meters this morning, for example.  The low end of 40 gets crowded at night but at the moment it's practically deserted. So operate 40 during the day.

In a couple weeks, it will be a CW contest and the SSB bands will be available.

Or go mow the lawn or take your wife shopping, and operate during the week.

Or . . . give contesting a try. You might enjoy it.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 07:28:47 AM »

Especially this week-end! Can't you guys stay away from QRP calling frequencies, CW band segments and the Maritime Net on 14300?
Last night I had to find refuge in the lower part of 40m, and even there, it was hard to find a quiet space. I heard SSB stations with their 3kHz wide signals in the Extra CW part of the band! Forget 7030 and it's vicinity.. I couldn't get away from the contesters there. I just can't understand such a lack of respect. It's bullying at it's best. I've been a ham for a little more than a month, and I can't stand contesters already. I don't bother you with my hobby, don't bother me with yours!

Gil.

Try joining a contest...  It will make contest weekends a lot of fun! 
73's

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 10:07:10 AM »

I have a very good idea of what I'm talking about. When the Maritime Net on 14,300 can't operate because of contest calling, that is wrong. I'm glad I'm not at sea calling mayday, someone would reply with a contest number.. When a band is overrun with people calling contest every four seconds on QRP calling frequencies, that is wrong. There is no two ways about it. You guys ever heard of the "DX code of conduct?" Do your contesting all you want, I don't care, but keep in mind that you're not the only ones on the air. You're bothering a lot of people, and for what? A piece of paper? You guys need to keep your egos in check and be more considerate. If I was trying to keep you from contesting you'd be pissed off, right? So, yeah, I'm frustrated because every week-end there are some people bullying everyone else out of the bands. Why don't you clean up your ranks, establish some considerate contesting rules and maybe gain back some respect? It wouldn't take much. Just stay clear of well known calling frequencies, especially the QRP ones, and stay clear of 14,300. That would go a long way. The Maritime Mobile Net today has a hell of a time trying to operate. There are people at sea who may have a dire need to pass traffic. God forbid any emergency. Check 14300.net, it's a world-wide very well known and respected frequency.

No, I'm not going to join the "fun." I like talking to people... I'm not criticizing contesting. I don't understand the motivations, it's just weird to me. But I believe one should be able to enjoy their hobbies. The problem is when one's hobby is stepping on another and potentially hindering emergency communications. I'm sure some of you guys are great people, but many contesters could learn about basic human interaction and decency. Do contest organizations publish guidelines? From what I hear, I sure don't think so.

Gil.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:15:21 AM by GILGSN » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 10:46:26 AM »

No, I'm not going to join the "fun." I like talking to people... I'm not criticizing contesting. I don't understand the motivations, it's just weird to me. But I believe one should be able to enjoy their hobbies. The problem is when one's hobby is stepping on another and potentially hindering emergency communications. I'm sure some of you guys are great people, but many contesters could learn about basic human interaction and decency. Do contest organizations publish guidelines? From what I hear, I sure don't think so.

Hi,

I hope your amateur radio career over the next few decades goes better than it has so far...  BTW, what is your new callsign?

73's Dave

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »

Maybe you should consider another hobby. The Maritime Net knows all about contests and
has adjusted to it for YEARS. It does not happen every weekend. Just a few weekends a year.
As for the qrp calling frequencies........those are not mandated frequencies, but, like a lot of
"calling frequencies" are by gentleman's agreement, not by law. And there is NOTHING to prevent
anyone else from using them.
 The WARC bands ARE immune to contests, because all of the contests do not count contacts made on them. It would be a waste of time for someone to use them and try to submit the contacts for contest points. What you are hearing, as another poster pointed out, are DX pileups
when a DX station (usually a rare one, but not always) is spotted. Then, a lot of people want to
make the contact for DXCC etc. So, you hear a ton of people calling.
  Either do as has already been suggested, learn to live with it and find other outlets, or give up
Amateur Radio as it just may not be for you. Especially if you are so offended by such a simple
thing as a contest. There is still a TON of spectrum available and modes to work, (this weekend is a SSB contest, not CW or digi-modes) and HF, VHF, UHF, etc. frequencies to use them on that are not part of the contest.
OR take up stamp collecting................
james
WD5GWY
(good filters on a good radio = less qrm to listen to during contests)

NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »

I've been monitoring 14.300 and it's entertaining.

There's a bunch of people from the net are trying to reason and plead with DR1D, who is stomping the net 50 Hz down.

Most of these guys are not identifying. Some of the are saying that he's interfering with "emergency communications", which is not actually the case. So there's enough lid behavior to go around for everyone.

DR1D is just ignoring them all and continuing his run.

I bet if someone with a signal were to come on and tell DR1D that they'll file a complaint with the contest organizers, he'd move.

. . .

Well someone got his attention finally but he's arguing with them about the bandwidth needed by the net.
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 01:01:08 PM »

OR take up stamp collecting................

But don't take up bowling!  You ever been to a bowling alley on a Saturday night?  Nothing but leagues!  Who wants to join that?  There should be open lanes for those that don't want to compete.   Roll Eyes 

I think there's enough bands and modes available that you should be able to avoid the contests.  No phone on 30m so you can hang out there and do CW or RTTY, etc. or maybe try 60m.  Haven't heard much there.  I think even 6m might be a good alternative.

Eric
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 02:15:57 PM »

There's a bunch of people from the net are trying to reason and plead with DR1D, who is stomping the net 50 Hz down.

Should read 500 Hz.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: