Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Be safe!  (Read 1409 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2012, 05:01:44 AM »

I know this topic isn't DX related, but since there are many here in the path of Sandy, I wanted to wish you and your families the best of luck getting through it. And I wanted to let you know you all are in our thoughts and prayers. Hunker down those antennas and PLEASE BE SAFE!

N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 05:25:26 AM »

Thanks..we are as ready as we can be..

73'..Tom N3ZC
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 05:42:37 AM »

Bitch is on a direct path over my house. And I mean direct.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 05:47:48 AM »

I am over 1000 miles from the center, and the winds kept me up last night.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 02:18:55 PM »

We were relatively lucky for New Jersey. 40MPH sustained winds with a few gusts that had to have been in the 60s and 70s. We lost power for 15 hours but got back into the 21st century just before 1pm today. Much of North Jersey is still in the dark and will be for many days. NYC and South Jersey are both disaster areas in comparison. We were very fortunate in that we suffered no damage here whatsoever. Once this crisis is past we will be ordering a generator and transfer switch, which should make these seemingly semi-annual storm-related outages easier to bear. And give me something to use for Field Day to boot!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »

The Storm Path split my town in half, yet most of my county came thru unscathed. I suffered nothing more than a scare. Saying that, my friends are another story. I have 2 that may have lost their house to floods. I have a ton without power, heat, and water. This is not the south and 70 degrees at night. It will get into the 40's tonight.

I may have been lucky, but it feels like I had my heard ripped out.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »

The Storm Path split my town in half, yet most of my county came thru unscathed. I suffered nothing more than a scare. Saying that, my friends are another story. I have 2 that may have lost their house to floods. I have a ton without power, heat, and water. This is not the south and 70 degrees at night. It will get into the 40's tonight.

Vinnie...... Hang in there buddy.   Want to feel BETTER Huh  Ha... READ THIS:   It was 43 degrees here just below Daytona Beach this morning, a record.  Just OUR leftover "kiss" from miss SANDY after a couple days of rain and hellish wind. (supposed to be back in the 80s soon.... I HOPE)
73, Gene AF3Y
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 06:18:37 PM »

Vin:

The footage coming out of NY/NJ is unbelievable.....We are with you, brother.....

V
KA3NRX

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »

We were relatively lucky for New Jersey. 40MPH sustained winds with a few gusts that had to have been in the 60s and 70s. We lost power for 15 hours but got back into the 21st century just before 1pm today. Much of North Jersey is still in the dark and will be for many days. NYC and South Jersey are both disaster areas in comparison. We were very fortunate in that we suffered no damage here whatsoever. Once this crisis is past we will be ordering a generator and transfer switch, which should make these seemingly semi-annual storm-related outages easier to bear. And give me something to use for Field Day to boot!

I don't know how big a generator you want or how much you want to spend, but after last year's Halloween storm and being w/o power for a whole week, I purchased a Generac rated at 20 kW this spring. This is obviously not a portable and it runs on natural gas.  It will power the whole house plus my rig and Alpha amplifier. It comes on every Saturday at 3 PM for a few minutes for test purposes.  I did not lose power during this storm but we did have an outage a few weeks ago for several hours and I never even knew the town was w/o power until an uncle who lives in the same town told me.  I consider it an investment. I don't ever want to go w/o power for a week again and it does add value to the property.

I'm not going to get into the causes, as I'm not really sure what the real answer is, but these storms are becoming more common and more severe, IMO.

I'm glad your big antenna system came through OK, Peter.

Chris/NU1O

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: