Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RV Ladders for 5/8 Vertical Mounting  (Read 2041 times)
N6PAA

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2012, 12:46:10 AM »

I clamped a Hustler 2m 5/8 WL to the top of my Aluminum RV ladder. It appears that the ladder is not bolted to the RV frame. Terrible SWR, R and J values. What if I run a short braid from the trailer hitch to the bottom of the ladder. Other than K0BG excellent Mobile Antenna web link, are there any web pages dedicated to RV HF or VHF Antenna Mounting. Thanks much, Ron
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 04:21:00 AM »

Is the RV body metal?  You might do better with a short (as short as you can get) piece of braid from the antenna mounting point to the body of the RV.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 05:26:30 AM »

What will work is two quarter wavelength radials mounted right at the antenna. Two coat hangers hose clamped or otherwise attached and having a lengths of 19" from the antenna base to the tips may solve the VSWR issue.

As it is presently mounted the ladder and the antenna form a rather long vertical dipole having a high VSWR and a high radiation angle. The two radials will decouple the ladder - they will hog the current - and reduce the RF current along the ladder.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:50:38 AM by WX7G » Logged
N6PAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 07:03:37 AM »

I have a set of these 19" radials, may serve the purpose
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/19771967.html
RV is a Fleetwood 24A Pulse diesel with rubber over fiberglass over aluminum frame work.
http://www.rvguide.com/specs/fleetwood/class-c/2010/pulse-tm/24a.html
Thanks to David and all.
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: