Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: regen receiver kit recommendation?  (Read 3600 times)
N3NEI

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2013, 02:59:57 PM »

I'm planning on building a regenerative receiver kit--I'm attracted to the multi-knob operation required (feels like real radio), and I like that they can receive CW, SSB, and AM. So I'm trying to decide between the Scout Regen from Henricks QRP Kits and the 9-band Ten Tec kit (1253). I'd consider myself a relative beginner at kit-building, but I have serviceable soldering skills. I appreciate any advice you can offer!
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »

I have built the Ten-Tec 4-band regenerative receiver.  I think it sells for something like $40.  I haven't built the 9-band kit.  The 4-band kit is an o.k. kit as far as your basic regen receiver kit goes.  I found I mainly used it as a WWV receiver though.  I found that I couldn't hear a whole lot of  SW stations on the bands that the receiver covers, so I sold it on eBay.  I haven't build the scout kit, so can comment on that.  I guess the regen kits are o.k., as long as you don't expect too much out of what they can do.  I like Ten-Tec's direct conversion single band kits kits much better than their regen kit that I built.

Mike KU4UV
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:15:46 PM »

I recently built two regens, the first N1BYT's "WBR" (QST Aug '01; using FAR Circuits PCB) and Doug Hendricks' Scout. The Scout is an easy build and my only criticism is the varicon cap tuning is very critical as opposed to a much smoother action with the 365pF cap coupled to a 8:1 reduction drive I used in the WBR. The audio output stages of both rigs really needs an 8 ohm set of headphones to get a good audio output level. Both rigs can be used with a Radio Shack amplified speaker with good results. There are lots of other circuits floating around.

Pick one and enjoy!

73 - Dino KL0S
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »

I would spend the money and take the TenTec because it covers a wider frequency range. The instructions are easy to understand. A DVM seems to be a helpful device for homebrewing.
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:47:30 PM »

Why a kit for a regen? A good solid regen can be built in an afternoon or so from ones junk box.
A good one like the Doerle style Twinplex built with a 6sl7 or 12ax7 will give most commercial rxs a run for their money on sensitvity. Just came up from reading the mail on 40m with one of my regens. SSB signals this time. It is the powerhouse build from Electronics Illustrated some years ago. I often use a regn for QSOs. On CW almost always, sometimes on Am as well. A small loop antenna sittig in the front window is all it needs compared to the other rigs which eed a inverted vee ot inverted L to hear anything worthwhile . One should not need a schematic. They are simply a oscillator not quite oscillating with phones in the circuit sensing the variations in load caused by the input from the antena and tuned circuit. .  Easiest to build is the hartely.  Phones may be in the plate lead or the B-lead. Works fine either way.
Don VE3LYX
WB3COB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:24:45 AM »

Great 12AT7 regenerative receiver at http://www.w7ekb.com/glowbugs/rx/Regens/regens.htm.
Original artical by Green from Electronics Illustrated January 1967.
Has appeared in Popular Communications as well in the last
few years.  Good circuit and easy to build.  Will also work with 6BQ7 / 6BZ7, which is less expensive than 12AT7.  I have built a number of these for myself and Vocational electronics students who wished to practice code for their ham license. 

73's,

WB3COB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: