Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any creative ideas to working SV2ASP/A from West Coast?  (Read 7210 times)
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 03:30:57 AM »

Does it really have to be from the West Coast?  

On the microwave bands it, is quite common to qualify for grid awards from portable locations--I got my set (903 to 10GHz) by operating from Mt Equinox, in Southern Vermont.  I don't recall anyone complaining--in fact, a lot of folks were quite pleased that I put on a relatively rare grid, FN33, with a good microwave signal, for contest points.

You might have heard the story of what Wayne, N6NB did after he concluded that he couldn't win a VHF contest from the West Coast.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 07:12:13 AM »

Does it really have to be from the West Coast?  

On the microwave bands it, is quite common to qualify for grid awards from portable locations--I got my set (903 to 10GHz) by operating from Mt Equinox, in Southern Vermont.  I don't recall anyone complaining--in fact, a lot of folks were quite pleased that I put on a relatively rare grid, FN33, with a good microwave signal, for contest points.

You might have heard the story of what Wayne, N6NB did after he concluded that he couldn't win a VHF contest from the West Coast.

What does this have to do with working SV2ASP/A, Monk Apollo Huh
73, Gene AF3Y
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 07:33:36 AM »

Getting someone to ask the DX to listen for you is about as bad as working him on a net, why don't you give him a call on echolink Cheesy

SV/A is hard from anywhere but at least it's active,
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 07:39:43 AM »

Serious portable stations!

1)  Operate from the side of a mountain with significant ground slope in the direction you want to work.

2) Operate from an island so that you have an all water shot.

3) Even better would be a location that combines 1 and 2.

I think any true blue DXer would understand if you had to interrupt an Iota activation to get your last country....
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 07:45:51 AM by W1VT » Logged
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 09:30:48 AM »

Working Athos from the US West Coast is particularly challenging for a number of reasons. Few of the responses seem to understand the depth of our challenge:

Athos is essentially a "one man" entity. He does not seem to like or enjoy large pile ups. He often goes QRT or simply dissapears when the pileups get large and difficult.
He makes no effort to listen or work the west coast.
He does not allow other ham visitors to operate his station. He says it is prohibited.
He generally does not operate frequently or a times conducive to work the west coast.
His signals are very feeble. The three element SteppIR does not seem effective or pointed in our direction at any time.
He seems content to work the many EU stations, East Coast NA and those seeking
their annual DX Challenge and CQ Marathon points.
Suggestions such as West Coast people coming and staying on the East Coast hoping for an opportunity to work Athos are not very realistic.
In contrast, working Greece from the West Coast is easy, it is just this particular operation that is so challenging.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 09:32:49 AM »

Brute force is about the only thing that's going to work with him from California.

For brute force power you need the Tsunami amplifier.

http://www.dc9dz.de/en/index.html

Jonathan W6GX

They must have made a huge bet for the builder to spend all that money and time building the Tsunami.  I'll bet it could be bought fairly inexpensively. Other than some revolutionist who could use it as a clandestine radio station who has the need for a 15 kW amplifier built for ham radio frequencies?

I just reread part of the article and the bet was just a case of beer.  You know the Germans and their beer!  Wink

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 09:44:44 AM »

Working Athos from the US West Coast is particularly challenging for a number of reasons. Few of the responses seem to understand the depth of our challenge:

Athos is essentially a "one man" entity. He does not seem to like or enjoy large pile ups. He often goes QRT or simply dissapears when the pileups get large and difficult.
He makes no effort to listen or work the west coast.
He does not allow other ham visitors to operate his station. He says it is prohibited.
He generally does not operate frequently or a times conducive to work the west coast.
His signals are very feeble. The three element SteppIR does not seem effective or pointed in our direction at any time.
He seems content to work the many EU stations, East Coast NA and those seeking
their annual DX Challenge and CQ Marathon points.
Suggestions such as West Coast people coming and staying on the East Coast hoping for an opportunity to work Athos are not very realistic.
In contrast, working Greece from the West Coast is easy, it is just this particular operation that is so challenging.

He does not just stop other hams from using HIS station. He has successfully blocked all operations to all the other Monasteries on Mt. Athos for many years. 

He not only sets a bad example for other hams to emulate but his petty behavior seems to be quite at odds with what his main job as a religious figure seeks to preach.

Chris/NU1O
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 10:19:53 AM »

Not at all! I have considered setting up a portable station at Sithonia accross the gulf, just opposite of from Dochiariou Monastery. My QSOs would count for DXCC as they would be from the same DXCC entity.

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »

Not at all! I have considered setting up a portable station at Sithonia accross the gulf, just opposite of from Dochiariou Monastery. My QSOs would count for DXCC as they would be from the same DXCC entity.

Are you planning to 'camp' at the portable location until he comes on the air?  Just how realistic is that?  If  you are very close to him already what does a portable station buy you?

Jonathan W6GX
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 11:04:27 AM »

I am sure you would get lots of intrest from w6's, and the whole world for that matter...

As long as the Monk does not need to sign off on it for it to be valid.
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 11:42:46 AM »

Sithonia counts for Greece. It does not count for the specific and rare entity of Athos.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:44:56 AM by N6PSE » Logged
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »

At 80 miles, I'm sure that SV1XV could use a bunch of Mt Athos band fills for his DXCC (all worked from the country of Greece).

An operation from NA-066 Catalina Island may be a great spot for working Europe.  There is a ferry service out there--which means that it just might be practical to bring a relatively elaborate station.  At 22 miles from the coast of California, it ought to look really good on HFTA.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:03:11 PM by W1VT » Logged
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »

Working Europe from the US West Coast is not our problem. Catalina or a 15 KW German amplifier are not viable to solve the problem of working Athos from the West Coast of the US.

The simple but unlikely solution is an operator or team of operators who earnestly try to work regions remote from Athos.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 01:09:06 PM »

Are you planning to 'camp' at the portable location until he comes on the air?  Just how realistic is that?  If  you are very close to him already what does a portable station buy you?

Jonathan W6GX

Costas is too close to Apollo for the higher bands and has worked him on 80 and 40.  He's looking to work Apollo on the higher bands he has not worked him on yet. 

To answer another post Costas would not count as Mt. Athos but as Greece so that working Apollo would count for his own DXCC total.

Chris/NU1O
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »

Exactly. Sithonia is only 16 miles from Dochiariou Monastery with a clear path over the sea - piece of cake on all bands from 30 to 10 m, especially if I can rent a cottage!

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: