Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK31 is pretty cool!  (Read 2504 times)
NQ3X

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:13:06 AM »

The subject says it all! Smiley  On a whim decided to actually connect the Rigblaster PnP I've been using for years strictly for rig control and CW and have worked five countries in five QSOs.  What a cool mode!

Just a quick gush. Wink

73, Bob WP2XX
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:35:48 AM »

Ham radio is like a box of chocolate... you never know what might get you interested in a new mode.
Have fun with it!

73 de wn2c  Rick
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 12:11:26 AM »

If you think PSK31 is cool, wait until you get some Olivia contacts.
That mode is simply amazing - 100 percent print with the signal invisible on the waterfall.

It mainly hangs around 14.073 (Olivia 16/500)  and 14.106 (Olivia 32/1000) on 20m.

As you are a newby, I will give you some free advice from the trenches.
Most modern digimodes programs will have RSID capability.

Enabling this puts a little preamble tone sequence at the beginning of your transmission.
This tone sequence will identify your transmission mode to receiving stations suitably equipped.
The purpose of this is to simplify the "guessing game" of "what mode is that" when hearing some modes.

Use RSID with most modes, but definitely NOT psk31 - it will drive everyone crazy, and serve no purpose, since we can all recognise psk31.
Also, edit your macro files to keep them short and snappy.
Many of them are lengthy and send all sorts of useless information which only annoys people and slows down communication.

Have fun, I am sure your country tally will rapidly climb - PSK31 is by far the most popular digital mode with 14.070Mhz the most popular frequency.

73 - Rob
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 12:49:22 AM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 04:11:12 AM »

I'm just a few steps behind you, Bob.  Smiley  I haven't done any PSK in years, but this week I put together a portable PSK station and yesterday I worked a handful of contacts.  I had forgotten how much fun it can be!   I'm looking forward to the weather warming up enough this afternoon to let me get back out there for an hour or two.

One thing you might look into: the "070 club" can be a lot of fun.  Bunches of really nice people, and all sorts of contests and special events, but all very low-key and relaxed.  They've got a website (zero-seven-zero) if you're interested.  Nice people, lots of fun!

Hope to work you soon on PSK!    --ken
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:20:38 AM »

...And made some more PSK31 Qs this AM when I got tired of ARRL SS. Wink 

I'll look into some other digimodes when I get bored with what I'm doing. It's contest season, so that limits my available brain-space.  Thanks for the tips, Rob and Ken!

I've been having fun on the WARC bands.  It appears that USVI are fairly rare on WARC regardless, and especially with digital modes.  I like helping people fill out their band-mode maps. Smiley

Now I'm going to get off the Intarwebz and back on the radio! 

73 de WP2XX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: