Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RDI-resistant USB-RS232 interface  (Read 1436 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:45:43 AM »

Hi, all,

(Title should be "RFI-resistant", but I can't correct it.)

I'm using a cheapie USB-RS232 interface with my K3. RFI is clobbering DXlab and triggering the RTS out of the interface and keying the rig. I honestly don't know whether Elecraft's KUSB interface is shielded. There are others that are shielded, but they are the wrong form factor for the K3.

Does anyone know of a USB/RS232 I/F that has some level of RFI protection?

Thanks and 73,
- Steve (WX2S.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:47:47 AM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 10:37:31 PM »

The bane of many hams' existence are the little cheapie far-east USB to serial converters.

There are good ones, made by the Austin based firm once known as InsideOut Networks, and now owned by Digi (Minneapolis).

The product line is called Edgeport.

If you get one (most of them are multiport) surplus, they are a screaming good deal.  Of course, the word is out about them so when they show up on ebay and etc. they go, FAST.

New, they are priced for the professionals that use them, who would never THINK about using the cheapies.

My K2, K3, P3, KPA500, M2 RC2800PX, TenTec RX320D, LP-100 wattmeter, and home automation system are ALL connected via serial RS232 ports to ONE Edgeport/8 here.  No RFI, not a peep, never a problem, no COM port issues, no driver weirdness, nothing.  Ever.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 06:43:36 AM »

Thanks for the advice on Edgeport. For what it's worth, I was able to get the problem to go away by cleaning up the USB cabling near the K3 -- took out an unshielded USB cable and a small hub and replaced with a shielded cable back to the USB controller. I'll see if that fix holds, and if not, go for one of the Edgeport converters.

There were several available on eBay, as well as new ones through Amazon.

73, -Steve (WX2S.)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 06:47:55 AM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: