Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Supply Question  (Read 920 times)
W9DEC

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2012, 05:15:41 AM »

I currently have a Kenwood 590s powered by a ICOM PS-125. I am going to add an ICOM 880H to my bench. I have read about using one power supply for two radios but my power supply has only the one plug out. Must I get another power supply and if so what is recommended for the new addition.?
Thanks
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 05:49:18 AM »

Unless you are transmitting at the same time with both radios, you should be fine. You may want to modify the power supply with a Powerpole distribution strip.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 06:19:43 AM »

Anderson Power Pole makes a thru-hole cabinet mount that will hold 2 sets of 30-45A power poles.  Only about $1.00 from Mouser.  Just a little larger than the ICOM/Kenwood connector on the back of the supply, so you could use a nibbling tool to make the hole large enough for it.

If you decide to use that approach, you'll need to also buy the .85 inch pin to hold the two sets of power poles in the mount.  Makes for a real clean way to have two power supply output positions instead of one.

Lee
W6EM
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:57:15 AM »

I opt for NYY's method of solving that problem.  I presently use the Anderson Power Pole distribution block inside a homebrew transceiver.  This way there is no modification at all to the power supply nor is there a need to figure out how to feed the chassis mount Power Poles inside the chassis.

Anderson Power Poles are an incredible solution to power distribution in the shack and vehicle.  I've switched everything over to them.

It must be understood though that you use only one radio at a time.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 02:09:38 PM »

There are two problems with use of an APP distribution block.  The first is, you have to make yet another connector to fit the power supply.  Not inexpensive, and a bit of a pain.  Even if he's lucky enough to salvage the old plastic connector housing.

Then, as you allude to, there's temptation to plug a bunch of "stuff" into the APP distribution block.  I know, I have one with fuses, etc.  BUT, I have a 50Amp RMS modded supply that can put out 50A all day long.

My suggestion isn't unique.  I've seen others do it.  It solves the problem easily.  As to the wiriing inside, remove the pins and the connector.  Make up a couple of short pieces of wire to connect to where the old ones connect in parallel.  And crimp on (4) APP lugs and push them into (2) red and (2) black housings.  Couldn't be easier.

Sure, he would have to nibble the cover a little bit to fit the APP 4-lug housing, but that's no big deal either.

K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:08:21 AM »

I would  mount an insulated  double row   barrier strip on the power supply.
Common  the top rows  to the   plus  or  minus  wire from the  supply..
(8 screw strip..  4 for  plus  4 for minus ,,, alternate rows.)

then  wire your  radios  to the  bottom row of screws.. With  stacking  you can run more than 4..
A couple of bucks for the  barrier strip..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: