About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW  (Read 53937 times)
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »

Thanks Costas for the info.  I guess I'm trying to figure out why eQSL has so many unique users (203,566) but yet has a lot fewer interruptions in service.  I know they're 2 completely different services but still have a common goal, providing QSL to amateurs.  When looking at LOTW, what comes to mind is the computer I used when going to college.  In order to boot it up, you had to use a 5 1/4" floppy disk and it had no hard drive.  Something is wrong with the current system used at LOTW.  ARRL, quit being so cheap and update/upgrade the system or whatever else needs to be done!!!

eQSL is not without its problems. What I notice is that they tend to have safeguards in place like timeouts for long running transactions. This prevents a total crash of the system but when doing some long running stuff (like submitting a ton of QSOs for WPX award) it times out. eQSL also has realtime upload I think with a SOAP query. With LoTW they only accept uploads in batches of whole log files. I think if they adopted a mechanism for realtime uploads that would help spread out the load.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »

Four days my feathered fanny. The last upload of mine that's showing on LoTW was on Nov. 9th. I've made 2 or 3 incremental uploads since that time and not one is showing yet.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2012, 11:35:56 AM »

Four days my feathered fanny. The last upload of mine that's showing on LoTW was on Nov. 9th. I've made 2 or 3 incremental uploads since that time and not one is showing yet.

Now ARRL says 6 Days.  My last uploaded Q that shows up is from 5 days ago.   Nearly 2 Million (guestimation) new Qs over the last 24 hours doesn't help.  Ugh!  
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »

On a positive note, I just received my first LoTW confirmation from PT0S!  As Murphy's law for QSL's dictates (Least needed QSL's arrive first), it was for my 40m QSO.  Somehow LoTW never processed my uploads for my other QSO's, so I resent them.

Chuck  NI0C
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2012, 11:50:13 AM »

Two of my PT0S confirmations came through this morning on LOTW, 17M CW and 40M SSB. So at least those are beginning to process and it's nice to get that one confirmed!

John K7KB
AA5VU

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »

On a positive note, I just received my first LoTW confirmation from PT0S!  As Murphy's law for QSL's dictates (Least needed QSL's arrive first), it was for my 40m QSO.  Somehow LoTW never processed my uploads for my other QSO's, so I resent them.

Chuck  NI0C

Thanks for the posting. It is good to know the PT0S operation are uploading to LoTW.  The PT0S QRZ page says NO to LoTW; however, the operation web page indicated they will upload when they can. TNX again for letting us know they are trying.

My PT0S QSO's have been uploaded to LoTW but have not been processed. The last upload processed was 8-Nov-2012 as of 19-Nov nothing new has been processed. Hopefully, the log jam will clear soon.

73 Dick AA5VU
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2012, 01:03:28 PM »

Dick, AA5VU,
You're welcome.  I got an e-mail today from Chris, HA5XA, saying that about a third of the PT0S QSO's have been processed by LoTW thus far.
Chuck  NI0C
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2012, 01:07:26 PM »

I received my 17, 20 and 40 meter CW LOTW confirmations today!

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
AA5VU

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2012, 01:45:38 PM »

[/quote]

Thanks for the posting. It is good to know the PT0S operation are uploading to LoTW.  The PT0S QRZ page says NO to LoTW; however, the operation web page indicated they will upload when they can. TNX again for letting us know they are trying.

My PT0S QSO's have been uploaded to LoTW but have not been processed. The last upload processed was 8-Nov-2012 as of 19-Nov nothing new has been processed. Hopefully, the log jam will clear soon.

73 Dick AA5VU
[/quote]

LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2012, 02:58:30 PM »

Maybe if they stopped funneling a huge percentage of their resources into the Hamsexy/Shack-on-a-belt  Emcomm crowd they'd have a little something left in the kitty for a program that adds to their international stature.
It wouldn't exactly do any good for international stature and good will for the ARRL or ham radio as a whole if they shut down ARES, the NTS, Ham Aid, etc. to turn LotW into Fort Knox. "Sorry, earthquake victims in the Caribbean, California or wherever - we shut down that emcomm stuff to buy a 99.999999% uptime quadruple-redundant system to manage our hobby diploma program."

Also, realize that contesting, DX and Emcomm is not opposing goals. A good contest station will probably be a good traffic handling station; a good DXer probably knows the right mode and frequency to reach a particular disaster-stricken area in the 3rd world (and might even know every active ham who lives there); political representatives probably find it easier to let us use valuable frequencies to tell each other that we're 59 years old, talk about antennas and complain about the president all day, when they understand that amateur operating skills can be used for organized emergency response from time to time.

Even with a few days of downtime in a year, LotW doesn't really have to have better uptime than it does already - it just needs to catch up on the backlog when it does go down.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:15:29 PM by LA9XSA » Logged
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »

LA9SXA wrote:
Even with a few days of downtime in a year, LotW doesn't really have to have better uptime than it does already - it just needs to catch up on the backlog when it does go down. 

What happened to LoTW recently was probably a "perfect storm," as it went down during a very busy contesting and Dx'ing time.  What we need now is some assurance that uploaded QSO's will eventually make it into the system, as well as assurance that the backlog will indeed go down.  So far, it's just been going up.  It would also help if ARRL would give more frequent and accurate estimates of the backlog until the situation improves.

Chuck  NI0C

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »

What happened to LoTW recently was probably a "perfect storm," as it went down during a very busy contesting and Dx'ing time.

So true. If only there was a way for the League to know ahead of time just when these busy "contests" would take place so they could have the resources in place to handle the load.

Quote from: LA9SXA
It wouldn't exactly do any good for international stature and good will for the ARRL or ham radio as a whole if they shut down ARES, the NTS, Ham Aid, etc. to turn LotW into Fort Knox. "Sorry, earthquake victims in the Caribbean, California or wherever - we shut down that emcomm stuff to buy a 99.999999% uptime quadruple-redundant system to manage our hobby diploma program."

I'm not saying shut down ARES (does ARES even need the League to function?). I'm saying look at the overall tone of QST, the official voice of the League. They pay lip service to serious DXers and contesters at best. We're the crazy uncle to their way of thinking. Their focus is probably 70% emcomm, with the rest split between build-it-yourself projects that were once taught at the elementary-school level, handing out PR press releases for new gear (please, tell me the last time you say a truly, brutally-critical review in QST) and bedwetting over arcane spectrum issues. I feel that the League knows that DXers will continue to flock to the DXCC program so they have no incentive to throw any money at it. So long as it exists it will make them money with little need to do anything.

Yet go to Dayton and look at their vast exhibit. Very little of it is aimed above the Technician or General level of knowledge. It's as if they see the pinnacle of annual HF operation being Field Day....which relates to emergency preparedness, naturally! There's precious little on the topic of 160m operation in QST (but loads of stuff for 6m and up), and their SSB and CW DX contests get perfunctory mention but hardly the top billing that they both deserve; namely as a venue for the world's best contest operators to strut their stuff on the world stage.

Trust me, if there were any component of LoTW that had to do with giving PR to emcomm, the League would be on it like white on rice and they'd have their platinum-plated quadruply-redundant bulletproof system in place.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2012, 05:05:48 AM »

So true. If only there was a way for the League to know ahead of time just when these busy "contests" would take place so they could have the resources in place to handle the load.

thanks for pinning my sarcasm meter and making me smile

Trust me, if there were any component of LoTW that had to do with giving PR to emcomm, the League would be on it like white on rice and they'd have their platinum-plated quadruply-redundant bulletproof system in place.

so, would a DB manager and budget be easier to get if we use emcomm as the hook, line and sinker? can some one more creative than me in this sphere please get on that like it is an ATNO?   Grin

V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2012, 05:37:43 AM »

Hi,

I Uploaded about 6000 Q's to LoTW today. Anybody have any idea as to the current processing time for LoTW?

73 and DX,

John  V47JA  -  W5JON

Hi,

To answer my own question, it took a little less then 5 days.  All 6000 Q's were on LoTW this morning.

73 and DX,

John   V47JA
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2012, 09:04:20 AM »

(please, tell me the last time you say a truly, brutally-critical review in QST)

I have been reading QST long before I was a licensed amateur.  I'd guess I have been reading it for 35 to 40 years now and I have NEVER read a brutally honest review which is why except for lab specs I don't rely on QST for any objective product reviews. Their main concern is to make sure the advertising dollars keep rolling in so the last thing they are going to do is offend a client by saying their product is junk and should not be bought.  When I want honest reviews on products I use the review section on Eham.  I really don't pay ARRL dues to read QST.  

I have a question for somebody who is willing to be brutally honest. During Hurricane Sandy I listened to some of the weather nets where various hams where checking in with barometric, temp., and wind data. I've also been at my place on Cape Cod and they have a daily morning net on 2 meters where hams from all over the Cape and Islands check in with weather data. I have a good ham friend who used to be very big into weather nets and he still has a nice weather station mounted on his tower. During the storm I asked him why all that weather data is needed and he never gave me a good reason except to keep saying it's important. My retort was with NOAA, the various WX stations at military and general aviation airports, and all the TV and radio stations that have weather stations, that much, or all, of that data is not used by any professional.

Is the purpose of the weather nets to have a pool of operators who are trained at delivering accurate information for emergencies or is that weather information actually put to good use by professionals?  

I have a pretty decent station and this spring I installed a backup generator which runs on natural gas and will power the whole house plus the station and amplifier. It kicks in automatically after about 30 seconds w/o grid power. There is a local ham who is on the police force and I told him if I could ever be of service during an emergency I would naturally be willing to help.  Other than the occasional rescue when amateur radio is used are we actually going to be of any use in an emergency or is this just a big dog and pony show?  

I am asking these questions in all sincerity (and probably naively as I was never involved with Emcomm) and I know they are very controversial questions but I am a born cynic and when we were hit hard here last Halloween and without power for a whole week most hams were without power and of no use. Personally, I don't see hams coming to the rescue in a great emergency such as when the old CW keys were brought out in the movie Independence Day but, OTOH, I would like to read a reply which convinces me I am wrong.

My thanks to whomever steps up to the plate and if a number reply maybe this should be moved to its own topic.

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:12:07 AM by NU1O » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: