About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW  (Read 64157 times)
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »

That sounds like a description of the fallout, not the original issue(s).
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2012, 12:24:51 PM »

Quote from: David Sumner K1ZZ Chief Executive Officer ARRL November 28, 2012
<snip>
When LoTW was designed more than a decade ago -- long before the present IT staff was here -- an assumption was made as to how many logs could possibly be in the queue at a given time. The assumption was based on users uploading their most recent QSOs perhaps once a week or once a month. The environment in which LoTW now operates is quite different from that assumption, in that many users now upload logs with small numbers of QSOs in them, almost in real time. This creates a much larger number of separate logs
When a log is uploaded, it is identified by a file name that is assigned by the user. Because there is no way to avoid duplication of file names that are assigned in this fashion, the LoTW system renames each file. Because of the unusual processing delay -- combined with the dramatic increase in the number of submitted logs -- the system began to run out of unique identifiers for the log files. This resulted in a file sometimes being renamed with an identifier that had already been assigned to a log that was still in the queue, causing the earlier log to be overwritten.

Once the problem was identified, designing a fix was relatively easy. It should be in place by 2359 UTC November 28. Because the number of overwritten logs is relatively small, we have decided to keep the system available for use, even though this may result in a few more logs being lost until the fix is in place. <snip>

kudos to K1ZZ for offering some transparency regarding the issue.
I am surprised the system wasn't proactively updated by someone who knew the ins and outs of how the system worked every year or so to keep pace with usage and technology...  am i missing something  Huh
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 12:36:29 PM by K9AIM » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: November 28, 2012, 12:46:28 PM »

kudos to K1ZZ for offering some transparency regarding the issue.

Yes, this is a step in the right direction...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: November 28, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »

My CQWW-CW log from Sunday evening just got processed and a few matches have trickled in so I suspect it's catching up pretty quickly now.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2012, 02:21:14 AM »

My CQWW-CW log from Sunday evening just got processed and a few matches have trickled in so I suspect it's catching up pretty quickly now.

So has my CQWW/CW log from Sunday evening... at this point ALL of my logs are now processed. 
WS4T

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2012, 03:37:46 AM »

It's a big relief to hear they have figured out the "lost log" problem.

I'm a big fan of LotW and I keep track of what logs I have uploaded and reload them if necessary. But there's another class of user (mostly rare DX!) that only uploads logs to do the rest of us a favor. That type of user is not checking every day to see if his log was processed, so if it's lost, there's a chance it won't get uploaded again.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »

I think my logs were amongst the lost. I submitted some in the middle of last week that didn't make it, so I re-submitted my logs last night after 2359.. so I guess maybe check next week sometime.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2012, 01:33:54 PM »

Just for the hell of it I think I'll upload my 20,000 contacts in one big file.  I must have uploads that got lost along the way and he did say it was the small uploads which were the pain in the ass, right?

Chris/NU1O
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »

Just for the hell of it I think I'll upload my 20,000 contacts in one big file.  I must have uploads that got lost along the way and he did say it was the small uploads which were the pain in the ass, right?

Chris/NU1O

I just e-mailed each of my 20,000 contacts requesting that they re-upload data from the dates I worked them. Just for insurance, you see?
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: November 30, 2012, 09:17:06 AM »

Well, still nothing. No PT0S upload processed, no CQWWCW upload processed. I guess I was also one of the very few who had their uploads overwritten even after the 25th. Instead of a Power Ball winner, it looks like I'm a LoTW wiener!
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »

Hi,
Whats odd is I did much the same as you...  I uploaded a large portion of my log after the affected dates, and have not seen a return on them yet...  I also have not seen a single confirmation in about a week...  This is not normal...  I normally get one or two a week easily...  I am tempted to upload my entire log, (20K contacts), and see if that flushes things out...  Not getting any confirmations for a week or longer is not normal...
73's
Dave

Thanks,
Dave
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2012, 11:45:25 AM »

I am tempted to upload my entire log, (20K contacts), and see if that flushes things out...

Please do not. That will just make the backlog worse for the rest of us.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »

Tempted is the operative word here... 

73's
Dave

Thanks,
Dave
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2012, 09:29:09 AM »

Well, still nothing. No PT0S upload processed, no CQWWCW upload processed. I guess I was also one of the very few who had their uploads overwritten even after the 25th. Instead of a Power Ball winner, it looks like I'm a LoTW wiener!

I am not seeing anything new in the last week either ...  Huh  The LoTW page has an update today saying they are 4 days behind now (not 3)...

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of us uploaded our PT0S contact since we knew they were uploading to LoTW and that created a large number of small files -- the kind evidently that are especially prone to being lost by the system  Undecided
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »

LoTW is now off line for maintenance  Huh

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: