About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW  (Read 63494 times)
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: December 19, 2012, 03:16:11 AM »

Re-read the interaction leading up to that comment. It was a perfectly reasonable response to the implication that only machines can avoid jumping to conclusions.

the 'welcome to machine' reply was not in response to a comment about jumping to false conclusions; it was in response to your comment that refraining from false assumptions works better to quell false assumptions than does disclosure.  'welcome to machine' was the name of a song by Pink Floyd released in 1975.

... refraining from false assumptions does sound great on paper ...  Tongue

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:18:27 AM by K9AIM » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: December 19, 2012, 07:58:11 AM »

and works extremely well in practice.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: December 19, 2012, 09:18:32 AM »

"I'm sure if you have a better idea, one that is easier to implement, better assures authenticity, runs faster, etc., the ARRL would be GLAD to hear your suggestions."

I very respected Dx'er in my area has communicated these opinions to the league and the response has been just short of "too bad".

What I said was, "If you can design and implement a BETTER system for the ARRL's LOTW, tell them about it."  I didn't say to complain to them because YOU don't like it.  Opinions are like ... well, you know what.  If you like clublog so much, use it.  And if you don't like LOTW, don't use it.  Simple as it gets, isn't it?
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: December 19, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »

but perfection is elusive and creativity demands a willingness to play with false assumptions
yesterday's science contained false assumptions; and tomorrow's science will find the same problem with today's.
i suppose debunkers like yourself do play a useful role...

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: December 19, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »

but perfection is elusive and creativity demands a willingness to play with false assumptions yesterday's science contained false assumptions; and tomorrow's science will find the same problem with today's. i suppose debunkers like yourself do play a useful role...

We weren't discussing protein folding or string theory or any other topic where thinking outside the box would be beneficial. Your misinterpretation of a statement from the ARRL's CEO led you to the incorrect conclusion that there's a team of developers dedicated to LotW, when in fact only a fraction of one person is available for LotW development and maintenance. There's no constructive justification for this particular false assumption.

The first rule of escaping from a deep hole is to stop digging.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: December 19, 2012, 02:33:31 PM »

Sure hope the magic works.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: December 19, 2012, 02:53:48 PM »

Scotty....... "Beam me up"..... Please?

73, Gene AF3Y
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: December 19, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »

... when in fact only a fraction of one person is available for LoTW development and maintenance

Well, if that is true, then the reason for all these problems is a lot clearer, at least to me....

Simon
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: December 19, 2012, 05:29:13 PM »

Your misinterpretation of a statement from the ARRL's CEO led you to the incorrect conclusion that there's a team of developers dedicated to LotW, when in fact only a fraction of one person is available for LotW development and maintenance.

Actually I never assumed a team was dedicated to LoTW, just that there was an IT team available to at least weigh in on the LoTW issues if and when they arise -- so pot meet kettle. 

Quote from: AA6YQ
There's no constructive justification for this particular false assumption.

your opinion is noted
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: December 19, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »

Your misinterpretation of a statement from the ARRL's CEO led you to the incorrect conclusion that there's a team of developers dedicated to LotW, when in fact only a fraction of one person is available for LotW development and maintenance.

Actually I never assumed a team was dedicated to LoTW, just that there was an IT team available to at least weigh in on the LoTW issues if and when they arise -- so pot meet kettle. 

Your exact words were no, I had taken K1ZZ's mention of "the present IT staff" below to mean there was a team available to spend some of their time on that..." .  I should have characterized your incorrect conclusion as "there's a team of developers available to LotW, when in fact only a fraction of one person is available for LotW development and maintenance."

Quote from: AA6YQ
There's no constructive justification for this particular false assumption.

your opinion is noted
[/quote]
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: December 19, 2012, 08:15:25 PM »

OK, guys. How about taking this to e-mail. Since there's no new information here, the two-person dialogue has become boring.

Dave, N6ORB
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: December 19, 2012, 08:52:09 PM »

sorry you had to endure all that.  73
Pages: Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: