Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cable for keyboard CW needed  (Read 475 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »

I'm looking for a lightweight and thoroughly reliable solution for sending both paddle CW and keyboard CW on my IC-7000.

I've tried using the internal memory keyer on the 7000 which is fine for DXing, but I really need to be able to send seamlessly from N1MM for contesting. I have a MicroHam MicroKeyer but that's too cumbersome a solution to use for quick trips (it requires taking my home station apart to remove it) and also I've found the cables for it extremely fragile and prone to failure if you look at 'em funny.

Ideally, I'm looking for a cable that I can use to key from either parallel or USB between my PC and the IC-7000. I don't have a legacy serial port on my IBM T40 laptop. I'm not looking for another Microham product or another box of any kind, if I can help it.

Thanks in advance.
Peter, W2IRT

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:26:56 AM »

Get the Winkeyer USB from K1EL http://k1el.tripod.com/
It's what is inside the microham product, powered through the USB cable or standalone with internal batteries, plugs into the radio and your paddles plug into it. It is contained inside a small box with a real knob for adjusting speed. Not sure what kind of magic product you want that works without a box.
W0GLB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:34:51 PM »

Try this link:  http://www.hosenose.com/interfaces.asp
Both parallel and serial types available.  I have been using the parallel port version for over two years now and works like gangbusters.

GL es 73,
W0GLB-Gordon
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 06:04:04 AM »

I have tried the serial port opto-isolated cables, but they don't work as well as the Winkeyer USB. The CW timing works best when you have a dedicated microcontroller such as the Winkeyer USB. Also, with the Winkeyer USB, your keyboard speed is always the same as your paddle speed. Touch the paddles and the keyboard stops; the keyer switches to iambic every time. Serial port (or printer port for that matter) CW needs to be stopped with the computer keyboard, then you can use paddles with a different keyer at a different speed. My recommendation of the Winkeyer is based on experience with the serial cable. I don't want others to learn things the hard way as I have done, they should simply get and use the method that works best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: