Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Learn CW Online"  (Read 1623 times)
AB9NZ

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:49:30 AM »

Fabian Kurz(DJ1YFK)in Dresden Germany, has made available an amazing program for learning morse online. It's free and you can even sign up anonymously! It has some really fun drills for speed building. If you want, it also posts rankings on how your doing. It's an international program, and can be used in quite a few languages.
  I found it to be completely intuitive, and a blast to use. Thank you for giving this great gift to the Morse community Fabian.
   Tnx es 73, de Tom, AB9NZ
P.S. a google search will get you to the "Learn CW Online" site, then you can place it up high in your favorites list.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »

I signed up, logged in and tried it.

What's amazing about it?

It's also misnamed.  Code isn't CW.  CW is a mode.  Saying "learn CW online" is like saying "learn SSB on line."

Should be renamed "learn Morse code on line."

So much for nits, I didn't find anything amazing about it.

It's still non-interactive and a painful way to learn anything.

WB2WIK/6
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »

Steve,
 It would be great for new guys to learn code in a class like the ones you've hosted. But now the community is like a shattered family, and any tool for learning morse is an asset that should be encouraged. As a new guy I've never seen any code classes available. Plenty of licensing help, but no clubs teaching code face to face. So my hat is off to people like Fabian, Sigurd, or Ray, who went to great effort to create programs, AND THEN GAVE THEM AWAY FOR ALL TO USE FOR FREE.  No doubt, guys like yourself giving code instruction, and  F.I.S.T.S guys willing to be code buddies also contribute greatly and are appreciated.
  I found the "fortune cookie" text in Mr. Kurz's program fun to copy, and the score keeping had me cranking up the speed and trying to best my record.
  Yes, it would be neat to go the church basement and learn morse in a group, while drinking coffee and eating homemade bluberry muffins as guys with two letter call signs regale us with stories of working spark and saving sinking ships, but this program is pretty cool too. If you look this gift horse in the mouth, I think you'll find she's FB.
  73 Guys, de Tom Bruzan, AB9NZ
N3EF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 02:36:39 PM »

What's amazing about it is that a fellow ham has spent considerable time to provide another useful tool for learning cw...without cost...without pop-ups or other advertising...something that can be used wherever you can get an internet connection...allows you to create mp3's directly from text...etc. cw and morse code have been used interchangeably for years...who cares? Iv'e been using this new tool and find it useful along with many other tools available for learning cw. Many of us know that you (WB2WIK/6) are adamant in your belief that the only way to learn cw is to do it interactively with another person. That's obviously not the case for many of us. This web site has been up for just 3 months and has over 1500 users already.

Eric N3EF
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »

I tried it and thought it was great, but just not really better than other similar resources.  True, free is always a good deal.

If someone could make available a free (or reasonably priced) program using A.I. to create interactive code, that would be amazing, at least to me!  It's possible, and there are A.I. programs around for many applications but I've never seen one for Morse code.  I'm not a programmer and would have no idea how to write this, but some sharp cookies out there somewhere might.

THAT would be amazing, not to mention extremely useful.

WB2WIK/6
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 03:55:08 AM »

These free programs definantly have a place. As i have heard time and time again you need to practice ,practice and practice then practice some more .

I like many others don't belong to any clubs where we can learn morse interactivly with someone else sat opposite us ,so these programs have helped me as they have many others.

Steve does make a valid point in the way he teaches morse and i myself would of made quicker progress if i wasn't sat at the pc or listenung to mp3's.

I sat copying characters and repetative simulated qso's till i simply couldn't take it anymore and this also led me to actually taking a step backwards.

I eventually put the fear of messing up out my head and sent cq till someone came back and i struggled through my first dozen qso's but the fact id been on the air and made contacts albeit only copying half what was sent pushed me further forward than anything else i have tried to do to learn morse.

anything that gets people using morse is a good thing especially if you find it hard to find a buddy to learn with as i did any probably many others do.

Even now with me being what would be considered a slow inexperienced op i listen for slower stations than me which seem very slow to my ear in an attempt to encourage them to crack on with it.

To my mind you cant beat getting on for two way qso's

billy
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 12:15:18 PM »

>RE: "Learn CW Online"       Reply
by M0JHA on August 31, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
I eventually put the fear of messing up out my head and sent cq till someone came back and i struggled through my first dozen qso's but the fact id been on the air and made contacts albeit only copying half what was sent pushed me further forward than anything else i have tried to do to learn morse.<

::Bingo, you found the magic formula.  No amount of "studying" code can replace a very small amount of *USING* code.  People can study a foreign language for years and get straight A's on exams, but unless they visit the country where the language is spoken and actually use it daily, they'll never really be good at it.

I'd be pleased to work you on the air, on CW.  Unfortunately the propagation  between the U.K. and California is only good at certain hours and mostly on 20 meters (17m might be okay early in the day, 40m might be okay after dark if you have a very good antenna), but if your operating schedule permits, let's give it a shot.

WB2WIK/6
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:39:14 AM »

Cheers steve,  without doubt the best thing was getting on the air.
I have blagged my way through some qso's and on the odd occasion if i loose it totally and my head goes i simply send that im sorry and missed last transmission due to bad qrm, i apologise and say my farewell.

I was hard on myself and actually took the mic off the radio so if i wanted to go on it had to be using the key. its still in the cupboard now.

i am pleased to realise the other night that all my last 20 qso's were on cw.

and i think i have found my place in amateur radio. qrp,cw and homebrew. couldnt get any better..

billy
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 01:28:46 PM »

Steve, if you don't mind working "QRS" to someone in 5-land (TX) struggling in middle age to learn something new...

I should be on the air again soon, prepared to do Morse Code/CW. A couple more weekends and I should have power to the shop and antennas up again. I thought Labor Day would see it further along, but things always take longer than they "should."

Will be a bit longer before I have Ethernet and internet to the shop.

In the meantime I'm doing what I can with the software tutoring. I'd anticipate working "live" at around half of whatever speed I can copy from the software dictation--maybe around 10 WPM.

Another problem is I send slower than I can copy...for now. Practice, practice, practice...

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 08:34:45 AM »

>RE: "Learn CW Online"       Reply
by K5END on September 2, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
Steve, if you don't mind working "QRS" to someone in 5-land (TX) struggling in middle age to learn something new...
I'd anticipate working "live" at around half of whatever speed I can copy from the software dictation--maybe around 10 WPM.
Another problem is I send slower than I can copy...for now. Practice, practice, practice...<

::That is one of the "problems" with learning code by only "listening" to it: Doesn't provide any sending practice, which of course is exactly as important -- actually more important -- as copying it.  I say "more" important because if you miss some stuff the other guy sends, who cares? -- not critical.  But if your sending is sloppy (nobody thinks theirs is!  you have to get others to tell you) then making contacts is nearly impossible.  As such, "sending practice" is actually more vital than "copying practice."

I'd be happy to sked with you.  Condx have been really crappy lately, but we should make it on 40m okay.

Steve WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: