Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Coax Antenna connection  (Read 1487 times)
KB1TBE

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2012, 05:28:28 AM »

I just ordered an automatic antenna tuner to use with my Kenwood TS 2000 transceiver.  The tuner will be connected to the #1 antenna connection on the rig and the two current antennas will be re-connected to the tuner.  This will leave an open connection on the rig for the time being until I hook a 6 meter antenna to the #2 connection.  I know that it takes two positive moves to switch antennas on the rig but s--- happens!  I can't figure out if the TS 2000 is protected against a screw-up like that if I accidentally tried to transmit on the open connection???
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 06:03:34 AM »

The SWR protection in the TS-2000 will save the day.
KB1TBE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:25:33 AM »

Damn!  I hadn't thought about that!  The inability of the TS 2000 tuner to reconcile an excessively high SWR, on occasion, is the main reason I bought the external tuner.  Most of the time the Kenwood's internal tuner worked great, so I didn't often see/hear the high SWR protection kick in.  Thanks for the reminder.
KB1TBE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 04:53:34 PM »

Just as a follow up, the new AT-100PROII tuner was defective.  HRO told me to return it for a full refund or to swap it - no questions asked.  I elected the refund as I didn't feel like the marginal improvement I had anticipated, at best, was worth trying another unit.  I know that ever so often a bad unit can slip through so, for now, I'll just continue to rely on the Kenwood's built-in tuner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: