Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mars mod for FT-60 ?  (Read 10909 times)
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 04:04:27 AM »

Thanks for the good answer Chuck, yes it is a touchy subject and hard to get a good answer here sometimes. Maybe in the future I will do it. Thanks again, Jim
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 07:05:39 AM »

And older and wiser ham once said this to me: 

"Don't let anybody steal your joy!" 

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »

Smiley maybe all the folks who want to do a "MARS/CAP mod" should ask in the MARS forum and see what the answers would be.

The only use I have had for a frequency mod was so I could change the channel allocation in the 60 meter band.

90% of amateur radio operators will make an error and fat-finger an entry and transmit on the wrong frequency within our own allocations (no harm, no foul). Make that mistake and fat-finger a frequency as 155.340 (ambulance to hospital) instead of 144.340 could land you in hot water.

Not having the ability to make that dumb mistake may keep you from being a newspaper story.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 06:27:55 PM »

Don't worry, I didn't do it afterall.
VK6NDT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 05:33:26 AM »

"maybe all the folks who want to do a "MARS/CAP mod" should ask in the MARS forum and see what the answers would be"

I thought the idea of a "mods" section would be for this reason...

I love how the first thing is that everyone is quick to jump to up on there soap box and question the person about the who/what/where/when and why they are thinking about doing this mod when really what should be happening is people actually giving some advice.

... Radio police everywhere!!

Good luck if you do carry out the mod, i hope you have some success with it.

i thought this hobby was about fun and playing with radio/ electronics not pretending to be the FCC.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 05:49:33 AM »

I thought this hobby was now "self policing". 

At least, according to the FCC and ARRL. 

Many different people with different viewpoints and methods, isn't that a good thing? 

K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 07:00:39 AM »

Maybe in  VK country  its not true , but in the  US   'self policing' has been around since  day one.   everyone is a policeman , everyone is expected to  both selfpolice, as well as ,at least point out to others, the  self policing aspect of  ham radio.

also,,,, cuttng a wire or removing a resistor  is in no way to be considered     experimenting, or a learning  function...
Re-wireing a mic,  changeing a  plug or jack type, makeing up  jumpers to  allow  various mic to various  rigs,  building or  tuning up antennas,  those types of things are   'experimenting.
Reomving a resistor  to make a radio  do what it was not intended to do or designed to do and  also would be illegal to use, is not  experimenting.

and the original question was asking for an opinion,, and the answer would depend on the answerers ability, not the askers,,,  So  basically  a usless answer  from anyone..
either    easy, difficult, impossible, childs play, piece of cake   would all be  subjective to the 
askers  ability.

SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »

VK6NDT,
I agree with you 100%, if someone wants to do it just do it, afterall I own my radio and I can do what I want with it. I just havent done it yet but if I want to I will. I do follow all of the rules on the bands and I am shure I would do the same with MY  HT if I decide to do it in the future. Alot of people here just worry to much about the inevetable.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 12:05:51 PM »

I'm no longer in MARS.  After I left a member made me an offer.  He said he would buy a brand new radio like the one I had that had been modified and trade it for my modified/programmed one.  It was a no brainer.  I got a brand new radio, he didn't have to risk doing the mod or paying someone else to do it then programming it.

If I need a radio to transmit on part 90 or 95 frequencies I buy a legal one.  They are almost giving XTS3000 and Astro Spectra radios away now.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 04:02:04 AM »

"Removing a resistor  to make a radio  do what it was not intended to do or designed to do and  also would be illegal to use, is not  experimenting."

Wrong!

The radio was infact designed to do it as well as intended to do...Just not in the US...

These radios are spread all over the world , different band allocations for different countries and that's why they are selectable. People say a radio "performs" different with the "out of band" modifications... No it does not...The problem is , its not accepted in the US to transmit in those bands.

The radio , with the correct "padding" is FCC accepted in the US which means the radio "will" work anywhere that  it was "intended" for as long as it falls under the rules of that country..

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 07:40:56 AM »

"afterall I own my radio and I can do what I want with it."

Really? Owning a radio doesn't give you the "right" to transmit with it any more than owning a car gives you the "right" to drive it. In most places you need a drivers license, a vehicle registration, insurance, and an inspection.

While you can "mod" the radio to transmit on any frequency, you can't legally transmit on frequencies where it has not been "certified" to conform to FCC specifications for that use.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 12:24:15 PM »

ATS.. It may be that specifically  the  FT 60 is designed to operate outside its  sold parameters.  But other things may not be.
I said  it was  'not  experimenting'  to just cut a reisistor.

Experimenting  is     1 evaluate a device or process.
                            2  decide on a goal of improved  performance.
                            3   make the modifications.
                            4 re-evaluate  the performance per the original criteria.
                            4 decide if  further change is parctical, or have you met your new expectations?
                            5  go to  2  and  do it again untill you reach a satisfying  performance.

The original question was subjective and has no real answer.   

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 06:48:39 AM »

K9YLI..

Peace... I assumed he was "cutting" the right one...(from www.mods.dk)

KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 07:21:36 AM »

Remember...there is a subpart in the rules that says in an immediate life threatening / serious emergency, transmitting on any frequency necessary at any power level is accepted. But you or someone you're calling about must be near dying beore you do this if you don't want to end up before a federal judge.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 07:29:24 AM »

DD  yes its in the rules  , written a long time ago..

BUT... put yourself in the role of  dispatecher or  cop on the beat,, and you get some  odd ball person talking on your frequency,,   in this day and age ,,, with  terrorists etc,,

and you are going to risk  resources  ,, on the word of some interloper  on your  radio frequency..

not  likely..
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: