Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mars mod for FT-60 ?  (Read 12703 times)
KF7RHB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 04:18:20 PM »

Thanks for the good answer Chuck, yes it is a touchy subject and hard to get a good answer here sometimes. Maybe in the future I will do it. Thanks again, Jim

We hams as a society are peculiarly self-selected type of people.  Nerdy, deferring to authority, traditionalist, usually older, usually male and almost always cranky...  The days of "ham" meaning a spoofy liddish sparky willing to be dodgy with authority are long gone.  There are virtues to such a culture, but nitpickiness, jealous and evasive elitism, and stodginess are facets which we could bear some improvement on the average.

Personally, I think it was a great question and not at all warrants being touchy.  It looks pretty straightforward a process.  Ive not done such on an FT-60, but on other ht's i can say getting the things open can be a real bummer. 

Whether opening tx width is experimentalism or not is irrelevant.  If we wanted to only buy closed, opaque appliances, what's the point in getting a ham license?  There are plenty of decent reasons to mod thus your HT.  To whit:

The provision for hams to be able to tx on any freq and power if needed in an emergency is no stale relic, but should be a backbone rail of ham radio as a citizen emergency service.  If anything, ALL hams should mars mod their rigs for this reason alone. 

Those of us in remote areas are relieved to have this option, should we be in an area without cell service and encounter life threatening situations.  I'm sure glad there are rural PD/FD repeaters not on any digital trunk, let me tell you.  Likewise, if a MURS or GMRS using backpack buddy gets lost, we bloody well shouldn't whinge about the regs if we need to crank up 5w through a yagi to QSO and find them.

Finally there is the basic ethic of freedom in the thing to consider and not appologise for, at least for those of us who give a fig about that in an increasingly authoritarian era.  It's well and good for spectrum to be well managed and abusers punished.  But fat finger accidents aside, it's another thing entirely to start relieving ourselves of responsibility for good practice by technological handicaps.  This kind of social engineering is not one which those of us with a libertarian concern should abide.  If you'll forgive a reaching analogy, radio capability is much like the second amendment in arming a citizen.

So, Jim, open them up, including cell band receive, and pray you never have to go out of band.  Bless you for it!

73 de Brighid
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 06:22:39 AM »

Hi Brighid,
Thank you also for the good and honest answer. You were right to the point. I am going to take your good advise and do the mod for the reasons that you mentioned. I will let you know how it worked out in the near future.
73 and Merry Christmas.  Jim  W5JJG
W4WXT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2012, 04:03:31 AM »

Well, let's see. This individual went from asking a question to being accused of being: subversive, terrorist, a dumb mistake, a newspaper story, to a persons OWN definition as to what an experiment is. All I have to say about all that is hogwash. The OP asked a question and almost EVERYONE went nuts on him telling him what to do and what NOT to do. Ever think this was a question to provoke your mind? An "experiment" if you will to see what/how the masses would react? How about a test on a society of human kindness and helpfulness. Well, I am NOT the Judge, but, I say most failed in a miserable way. Any time someone gets on here and asks a question that person(s) don't like it's like a lynch mob ready to hang someone out to dry for something he hasn't done.....or better yet being curious about something..... YLI the definition by Websters, a known book with no personal references to a particular scenario defines experiment as a ;

a. A test under controlled conditions that is made to demonstrate a known truth, examine the validity of a hypothesis, or determine the efficacy of something previously untried.

2. To try something new, especially in order to gain experience

Also, I will answer the question of asking a dispatcher or a cop; I would EXPECT someone in that type of situation to pick up a mic to save someones life. There's another no-brain-er. Have a great day everyone. Merry Christmas!
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »

Thanks Bobby for some more good info and for agreeing with me. Merry Christmas
73 Jim W5JJG
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 08:58:20 PM »

N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »

I did the mod on the FT-60 a long time ago and it was no problem as I remember it.  I did this to get on the local MARS repeater.  As far as using a modified HT to get on a police or fire frequency to call for help in these days of 2 cellphones in every pocket I would be wary.  There are some agencies in this area that are downright anal about anyone using their frequency that is not authorized to do so.  They will probably thank you profusly for doing your civic duty and confiscate your HT.  You'll most likely get it back in court (maybe) but the lawyers fees will cost more than 4 radios.  I am not judging whether this is right or wrong, only that it is a fact of life in this area.
Anyway, go and mod the FT60--you will find it an easy job.
Art, N9AOP
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2013, 07:36:07 AM »

Thanks for the good info also Art. I will do the mod next wekend. 73 Jim W5JJG
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: