Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Digital Mode In Town - JT9  (Read 16662 times)
N1ZHE

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2012, 06:46:35 AM »

If you use JT65, Joe Taylor, K1JT has a new digital mode for the low bands that works in a similar manner called JT9. Here's a link to an article and the program download.

http://www.amateurradio.com/wsjt-x-for-lf-now-i-really-will-have-to-look-at-a-top-band-antenna/#comment-36058

After installing the software be sure to read the Quick Start guide, it will be in the program's folder and it's in .pdf format. Note that I would highly recommend using the software suggested in the Quick Start guide to keep your clock accurate. The time accuracy requirement is much sharper than the Quick Start guide indicates.

Don't have an antenna for 160 meters or lower? You'll find a lot of us hanging out on 10.130 almost any time of day.

After setting it up and starting the program, don't forget to hit the monitor button on the program or you'll copy nothing! Also, turn your mic gain to zero or others may not be able to decode you.

David, N1ZHE

I just realized the above link takes you to an information page but the link on THAT page for the program download does not work. Use the link below to find the program. Scroll down and click on/download the WSJT-X program.

http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:02:24 AM by N1ZHE » Logged
AA0CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »

I was able to decode several signals today on 10.130. Are there other JT-9 frequencies, and how do I get HRD to log a JT-9 contact?
N1ZHE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 10:37:08 PM »

First, let me add a few bits of important things you need to know that I just found out a few days ago.

ALC. You want it set to nothing, the minimum. On my Ten-Tec, I set my mic gain to zero and that does it. Failing to do so will make it VERY difficult for the other station to decode you.

Also, set the "Tol", located just to the right of the clock to "500".

JT9 has a few sub modes as you may have gathered if you read the Quick Start Guide. I setup up HRD for JT9-1.

I am unaware of any other special JT9 freqs, you might try listening on the normal JT65 freqs, you might get lucky. Note that I don't think the JT9 program will decode JT65.

As to how to add JT9 in HRD, here's a quote from an email I received telling me how to do it. Open the HRD Logger, then:

Tools -> configure ->Modes in the window that opened, click -> add

Mode = JT9-1
ADIF = JT9
Comment = WSJT-X

Actually, that should work as is, when you QSL electronically the HRD logger will send "JT9", even if you choose JT9-1.

This brings up another speedbump ... neither eQSL nor LoTW recognize JT9 as a mode. Neither accept QSO's using JT9 as a mode. Well, LoTW might take it and automagically convert it to "DATA". Or if you know your way around the TQSL program configuration settings, you could get it to convert the mode from JT9 to DATA.

Here's an email I received from eQSL when I asked when they would add JT9 as a mode. I sent my email when eQSL wouldn't accept my QSL when I used JT9 as the mode:

Hi David,

Yes, I have read a bit about JT9, looks interesting!

The policy here as set by Dave, N5UP, is to only add new modes that have been adopted by the ADIF committee.

Now, I have no idea how one goes about getting the ADIF guys to add a new mode, maybe the author of the new mode needs to contact them? I'll try and find out what that process is and get back to you.

VA3KAB
Support Volunteer

I have not heard back from eQSL since. I may send him a reminder.

So, in light of that, I decided to only paper QSL my JT9 QSO's as I receive paper QSL cards from the other op. I won't try to submit an electronic QSL until I know LoTW and eQSL both accept JT9 QSL's.

David, N1ZHE
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:43:31 PM by N1ZHE » Logged
AA0CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 08:30:40 AM »

Thank you!
N1ZHE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 07:42:43 AM »

I got an email from eQSL. They added JT9 yesterday!

I uploaded my QSO's from HRD logger with no problems after using the above method to add JT9 to HRD.

Still waiting on LoTW .....

David N1ZHE
N0AZZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 01:18:53 AM »

Where would this hobby be without Joe Taylol?

Missing out on a lot of really good contacts.

THANKS JOE!!!!

Fred/N0AZZ
N1ZHE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »

Movement is currently being made to add JT9 to the ADIF Mode Tables. If this happens then LoTW will start accepting QSL's for JT9.

Hope it happens soon!

David N1ZHE
WI4T

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 04:23:07 AM »

I believe LOTW has now added the mode JT9.  go to the your certificates page (your account > your certificates > download current TQSL certificate file > save somewhere and then go and open the program for TQSL Cert and load the new certificate file you just down loaded from LOTW (be sure to do tq6).

That should do it.

(please do this at your own risk,  Smiley I am not a programmer and never claimed to be one)

WI4T
Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: