Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bluetooth Transmitter to Car Audio Speakers  (Read 4442 times)
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2012, 02:44:33 PM »

Instead of running speaker cables from the cargo area of my station wagon to a remote speaker near the driver I'm thinking of using a Bluetooth audio transmitter. It would connect to the audio out jack on the rig and transmit to the car radio by Bluetooth. A couple of questions:
Has anyone done this?
What kind of Bluetooth transmitter did you use?
What, if any, issues did you encounter?
Were you able to find a Bluetooth transmitter that didn't use a USB port to charge its battery?

This sounds FAR too easy so I must be missing something obvious!

Thanks,
Jack
WA2OLZ
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 05:51:57 AM »

If you're using SSB, it will work, but not too well. The issue isn't so much the Bluetooth, but the stereo system itself. Even setting the tone controls to squelch the high frequency, you still will hear an inordinate amount of high frequency hash which gets tiresome in a hurry. Best to bite the bullet, and run the wire. While you're at it, mount the speaker under the front seat pointing up. You might be surprised what happens.

WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:21:36 AM »

Thanks, K0BG, and the others who replied privately. Your inputs were all identical. The Bluetooth idea is going back into the drawer and I will run the cable.

Under the seat mounting might work, or might not. Vertical space is limited under there (VW Passat with power seats) due to the motor and the rest of the stuff they stick in there. I'll give it a try though!

Tnx es 73
Jack
WA2OLZ
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 09:07:42 AM »

My car's stereo has a 1/8" mini-jack for a iPod, so I just ran the audio out from my Icom IC-208 to the Aux port and I can listen to it from the car stereo speakers. The Icom's audio it is a bit strong for the input so I have to keep the Icom's volume below 1/2, but it works pretty good.

The only operational problem is that when no one is talking on the Ham radio, I can't listen to music to fill in the gaps, so I'm thinking of putting in a Y-connector or a switch to enable an external speaker as well. That way I can listen to the stereo while no one is talking on the Ham radio but still catch the calls (from the external speaker) when they come in.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:14:59 AM »

While you're at it, mount the speaker under the front seat pointing up. You might be surprised what happens.

OK...  I'll bite, what happens?  I am about to remount the Low Band speakers in two vehicles... 

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 07:29:52 AM »

I tried the under seat location but it was not good for my ancient ears. Ears that have been subject to QRM, QRN, gunfire and light plane flying without a headset. Many years of each.

The speaker is now resting temporarily on a pull out compartment on the dashboard until I can find a permanent location. Newer cars sure are more difficult to make radioactive than the older ones were!

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 07:38:58 AM »

I tried the under seat location but it was not good for my ancient ears.

I've mounted them under the dash facing down towards the floor with good results.  Another favorite spot is up behind my head, either at the top of the "B" pillar or actually in the seat, sandwiched between the headrest and the top of the seat. 

Newer cars sure are more difficult to make radioactive than the older ones were!

Cars are cars.  What makes it difficult are the operators who are reluctant to work with what they have.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 07:40:50 AM »

I tried the under seat location but it was not good for my ancient ears. Ears that have been subject to QRM, QRN, gunfire and light plane flying without a headset. Many years of each.

The speaker is now resting temporarily on a pull out compartment on the dashboard until I can find a permanent location. Newer cars sure are more difficult to make radioactive than the older ones were!

Thanks...  So far the best place I have found for a speaker is under the dash, facing the driver...  I tried putting the speaker in the center console of a Tahoe, not good...  All of the HF is gone...  The center console for a Tahoe does however make a really good location for rigs, lots of room, and easy to get cables behind the dash...  The coffee cup thingy just lifts out, and there is about two cubic feet of empty space there...  This is not in the glove box, but in front of it, under the cup holders...

73's,
Dave
For equipment reviews and setups see:
http://www.nk7z.net

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:04:05 AM »

"Newer cars sure are more difficult to make radioactive than the older ones were![/quote]

Cars are cars.  What makes it difficult are the operators who are reluctant to work with what they have.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM"

Thanks, Mark, for assuming what is my usual role of the grumpy Grinch.

I've been installing rigs in cars and trucks since 1959 - yes that is Fifty-Nine. I have no issue removing the entire interior if need be. The issue is the total lack of under-dash and in-dash space in the current offerings from Detroit and elsewhere. My full size GM SUVs, pickups and sedans are a piece of cake. The economy has forced me into a VW Passat. Not a bad car but every square millimeter is spoken for.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »

I have no issue removing the entire interior if need be.

OK, now we're getting somewhere.

The issue is the total lack of under-dash and in-dash space

So the answer is to displace something that's in the dash and/or use a speaker that will fit.  If it *must* be in the dash then there are ways, some more surgical than others.  The effort that requires all depends on your aesthetic requirement.  Or, with a mobile speaker loose, test it out in different spots like aft of the center console, on the B pillars, up by the visors or dome light, or anywhere else you can both hear it and you are able to effectively mount it.  If it means buying a certain speaker or even fabricating your own speaker setup to fit, then do it.

You're right, it's not the same today than it was in the '50's and '60's.  But neither are the radios.  There is such a wide selection of form and function today there is a solution out there no matter what the car.  I always start backwards - what do I want this to look like when it's done?  From there it's a matter of sourcing parts and spending quality time with the car getting it done. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »

I have an Nissan Frontier and the sound system has a "AUX IN" jack just to the right of the AC controls.  I have the faceplate of the FT-857 mounted directly below the AC controls and a 12" audio cable runs to the "AUX IN" jack. All I have to do is hit the "AUX" button on the radio and BAM! I have a great sounding Rig.  I do pick up a little audio through the system during transmit at 100 watts.  I wonder how bad it will be when I get my "three pill" installed?

AD5TD
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 11:49:17 AM »

I use this model transmitter for my HF/6meter radios to a remote receive only headset or speaker and also as a BT audio streamer for all of my HT's as a listen only device and it works fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0WP0902198

I made up a USB 5 volt DC supply to keep mine charged/powered all the time when hooked to my base radios.

You don't need to use the NewEgg product as just about any model of audio streamer will work fine.

Mike

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: