Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reviews of reviewers  (Read 8976 times)
KE5JPP

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2012, 02:49:10 PM »

#1  I thought that reviews of another review in the 'Reviews' section of this website is not allowed?   In the reviews of the ICOM IC-7800, George K5JZ, posted (twice) a review that was mostly a response to an earlier reviewer's opinions of the CW operation of the IC-7800.   

#2  I thought that manufacturers were not allowed to review their own products in the 'Reviews' section?  In the review of the RFSPACE SDR-IQ, Pieter, N4IP gave the SDR-IQ a 5/5 rating and responded to an earlier reviewer's review.  The problem is that Pieter, N4IP is the manufacturer of the SDR-IQ and the owner of RFSPACE.  This is in the "Receivers: General Coverage" section of the reviews.

Does the person or persons in charge of the 'Reviews' section of this website actually read the reviews before approving them?

Gene

RFDOG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »

Controversy and bickering creates site traffic, site traffic means hits, and hits mean ad revenue.  Simple as that.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »

Report that to the reviews editor.

One upgrade to the forum I would like to see it allowing for modification or editing of a previous review. I once had a 746 which I gave a rave review. After about 2 years, the thing went to hell and Icom's support sucked. I had to file a new review, instead of changing my original.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:45:43 PM »

Yes - the best thing to do in all of the examples you gave is to email the reviews manager.

Thanks for the input.

George
K5TR
NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 08:11:10 AM »

#1  I thought that reviews of another review in the 'Reviews' section of this website is not allowed?   In the reviews of the ICOM IC-7800, George K5JZ, posted (twice) a review that was mostly a response to an earlier reviewer's opinions of the CW operation of the IC-7800.   

#2  I thought that manufacturers were not allowed to review their own products in the 'Reviews' section?  In the review of the RFSPACE SDR-IQ, Pieter, N4IP gave the SDR-IQ a 5/5 rating and responded to an earlier reviewer's review.  The problem is that Pieter, N4IP is the manufacturer of the SDR-IQ and the owner of RFSPACE.  This is in the "Receivers: General Coverage" section of the reviews.

Does the person or persons in charge of the 'Reviews' section of this website actually read the reviews before approving them?

Gene

K5JZ's reviews were removed.  He'll probably rewrite it so as not to reply to the other review. 

N4IP's review also was removed.  Unfortunately there's not much we can do from this end to easily identify who is a principle in a company that submits a review without readers such as yourself who may have insight into who's directly involved with a product.

All newly submitted reviews are quickly scanned during screening - but not read word for word.  Too many reviews to do that so some will slip thru the guide lines. 

We appreciate the help review readers provide in identifying reviews that for whatever reason don't follow review  guide lines.

Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 08:03:28 AM »

You know, I was thinking about this. Instead of modifying an existing review, you should that the ability to delete your old reviews, so you can write a new one.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:07:19 AM »

Being able to delete or edit a post at any time opens up other possibilities for mischief. You should recall it used to be that way on eHam until a small number of folks experimented with re-writing the history of a thread by altering their posts. That's usually all it takes to hose a good idea.............

Never change a password on a Friday                
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 11:16:54 AM »

You know, I was thinking about this. Instead of modifying an existing review, you should that the ability to delete your old reviews, so you can write a new one.

Yes - or something similar.  We have been talking about this over the years and we are working on new code.
I think the reviewer should be alerted they already have a review of the product and can either replace
the review or abort the post of the new review or something along those lines.  I am not sure how the flow
should work but this idea is on the feature list in some form now.

George
K5TR
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 06:46:13 AM »

I'm not a fan of editing existing posts. I've had this opinion for a LONG time.

In a forum, it's really risky in that entire threads can appear to be nonsense if someone deletes or edits the "right" posts.  People can try to claim "I never said that", replies become orphans, etc.   

Of course, the reviews are rather unique in that we don't allow conversations to occur, so many of the problems with deleting/editing posts go way.  But others are introduced. For ex., the idea that a particular unit was hard to use, say, on day three of ownership, so much so that a member makes a review stating such...and then, sometime later, embarrassed perhaps, his having figured it all out, the OP comes back and "re-writes history" to hide his initial review seems a bit distasteful.  Many others may have read that original review and now it's gone.  Some may have linked to it from their own website, or quoted it in an email, etc.

I don't have a problem with a user posting multiple reviews, per se, as long as the posts have some minimum time between, and that they refer to the old post (eHam could program it to do so automatically - put something in the review's header, or below the signature like "This is a followup to post###").

Maybe there should be a report or notification that helps the manager know a follow-up has been posted.  Maybe something the manager can use that shows him how many reviews a particular member has made, and how many were to the same product, etc.  (It has to be easy for the manager!)

Mike N2MG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: