Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (almost) A 3 year pending license renewal?  (Read 3219 times)
KC9WLF

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:12:25 AM »

I ran into a real character just recently, and discovered that according to the FCC database, his license is pending, but expired back in May 2010.

This is a relevant list of what is recorded upon his call sign by the FCC:
03/15/2010     Offlined for Enforcement Bureau Action
03/11/2010     Offlined for Alert List Review
03/11/2010     Redlight Review Completed

Given my interactions this guy, I can't say that this surprises me that he is in some legal hot water somewhere, but can anyone shed some light upon why his license has been hanging for almost the last 3 years?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:15:16 AM by KC9WLF » Logged
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 10:36:48 AM »

Whats the callsign? K1MAN???

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 10:56:48 AM »

It's one way FCC does enforcement.

IANAL, but from what I understand, revoking a valid license isn't easy. There has to be solid evidence of rulebreaking and the accused has a lot of rights and defenses. FCC just can't yank licenses; this is to protect the innocent.

Renewal is a different game for some reason. Usually, simply having a clean record is enough for FCC to routinely process a license renewal. But when there is doubt - any doubt - the FCC can require all sorts of testimony and evidence before a license is renewed. FCC doesn't have to renew a license unless and until they are convinced the licensee will follow the rules and act in good faith.

Ever notice how, when a broadcast station license is up for renewal, they do PSAs about contacting the FCC if you have any issues? It's kinda the same thing for hams.

Usually the licensee can keep operating while the license review process is ongoing.

Remember always that an FCC license is a privilege, not a right.

73 de Jim, N2EY

KC9WLF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 06:17:58 PM »

Whats the callsign? K1MAN???

No. I will PM you with the call.
KC9WLF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »

It's one way FCC does enforcement.

IANAL, but from what I understand, revoking a valid license isn't easy. There has to be solid evidence of rulebreaking and the accused has a lot of rights and defenses. FCC just can't yank licenses; this is to protect the innocent.

Renewal is a different game for some reason. Usually, simply having a clean record is enough for FCC to routinely process a license renewal. But when there is doubt - any doubt - the FCC can require all sorts of testimony and evidence before a license is renewed. FCC doesn't have to renew a license unless and until they are convinced the licensee will follow the rules and act in good faith.

Ever notice how, when a broadcast station license is up for renewal, they do PSAs about contacting the FCC if you have any issues? It's kinda the same thing for hams.

Usually the licensee can keep operating while the license review process is ongoing.

Remember always that an FCC license is a privilege, not a right.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Thank you. I appreciate the clarification.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: