Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help w/ Terminology  (Read 462 times)
K5AKG

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2008, 05:49:19 AM »

OK.  I just got my general class license, but am obviously still in the dark re: CW.  I've promised myself that I will not shell out the $$$ for an HF txr until after I learn Morse.  If I buy a key/paddle and keyer, can the keyer be used as a practice oscillator, as well as being the input device to a txr that does not have in internal keyer?  I'd appreciate suggestions on how to get started down this path.

Alan K5AKG
Bristow, VA
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:13:24 AM »

Hi Alan, and congrats on the ticket!

Well, the short answer about the keyer is.....it depends.

Not all keyers are created the same, but the simple check you can make is to see if the unit has a built-in speaker.  If it does, then it can easily be used as a stand alone practice unit. Just plug-in the paddle (and the power), and away you go!

I think most keyers fall into that catagory, but some don't.

Jim/k7unz
K7JG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 11:00:38 AM »

And because you can use most if not all built-in keyers as code practice oscillators, you could be buy that transceiver only to use its keyer for code practice for the time being. No use having two keyers around when one will do. :-)

On the other hand, not having it in the right mode for practice does present another opportunity for embarrassing oneself.

John, K7JG.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: