Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone using IR thermometer to find bad power insulators?  (Read 1769 times)
K9RFZ

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2012, 09:40:19 AM »

I know some utility companies are using IR cameras to find cracked insulators that arc.
Has anyone tried using a cheap (<$100) IR thermometer to locate bad insulators that
may be sources of RFI? I'm contemplating buying one of these thermometers and giving
it a try, but if someone already has experience with this idea, then I'd like to know how
it worked.
Joseph, K9RFZ
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »

You can now buy remote thermometers for less than $25 and they're great for all sorts of uses, not just electronics. Interesting to walk around the house on a cold day and pinpoint leaks around windows and such. Or aim at electrical fixtures even in the ceiling to spot overheating.

The cheapie kind I bought from Harbor Freight only has a rated range of 10 feet as I recall.   Perhaps has some value to about 15'. It won't pick up overheating high on a utility pole. 

Mine has a laser pointer built-in for aiming which doubles as the world's greatest cat toy.

A must-have tool. 
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 03:39:40 PM »

A very nice eham thread from two years ago about these thermometers.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,70677.0.html
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:53:05 PM by K0OD » Logged
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »

I have used them in television work to locate parts that are over heating. You can't touch a horizontal output transistor while the TV is running due to the high voltage so the IR thermometers work great for this purpose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: