Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A complete and total disgrace last night on 40 meters  (Read 4509 times)
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 06:47:48 PM »

Yes I was there and gave up.
I am proud of my license and if idiots keep doing this, we might just loose our precious frequency allotments!

If you notice it seems to always be American Hams, now don't get me wrong, I am proud of being an American and proud of my country, but come on fellas, act accordingly.

Stop being the ugly American!
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 08:32:51 PM »

If you notice it seems to always be American Hams, now don't get me wrong, I am proud of being an American and proud of my country, but come on fellas, act accordingly. Stop being the ugly American!

You've obviously never heard a full-on European pileup, have you?

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 10:00:10 PM »

I keep having the recurrent thought that DXing (these pile-up situations) ranks number 1 among human endeavors for the level of stupidity that it evokes. Can anyone else think of an activity that attracts more idiots?

I can think of one that makes what you see on the ham bands seem trivial.

1) Sports fans who use foul language or resort to violence. It's either foul language aimed at an opposing player of the home team, or at some fan who is rooting against the home team. A Los Angeles Dodger fan rooting for his Dodgers while in San Diego or San Francisco, for example. This is a real serious problem and it almost always involves somebody who has had too much booze to drink.  There have been a couple deaths after sporting events in the past year or so in the USA, and our European friends are very familiar with the violence which occurs at European football games.

The language is so bad at Fenway Park in Boston, especially when the hated NY Yankees are in town, that I would not take my niece to a game before she was a teenager.

Alcohol fuels much of the bad behavior and I'm going to start another topic because I think it maybe
a reason for some of the unruly behavior we see on the ham bands.

Chris/NU1O

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 03:49:44 PM »

Similar thread going on under "does alcohol play a factor in LID behavior"

I swear, the last time I remember it being this bad was back in 1989-1990 with Bouvet or North Yemen in 1978.  I distinctly remember that "split" was interpreted as everyone tranmitting in the blind from 14200  (the limit back then) to 14300.  Nobody even knew if the station was still QRV on that band, but it did not stop the chaos.  I don't blame the DXpedition, esp when there is high demand like for this entity.  But the unwanted behaviors are really beyond the pale and totally uncalled for.  Some people just have crummy lives and take it out on their dog or their family...or in our case, on our fellow hams.

"Just spin the dial" does not cut it if we're chasing a rare DX entity.  Maybe I just need to give up chasing DX, because this is not fun like it once was.
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 09:33:35 AM »

It is sad.  Unfortunately, some of which was brought on by their "operating style".  I have heard countless QSOs discussing it from 20 Meters to 75 meters.  I think though some word got back to them so fortunately, they are doing that less now.  As to the jerks, cops, idiots, etc.  Well, we always have them amongst us.  I have heard past Dxpeditions with calls on top of them for the longest time and some of them OT's that either can't see the split button, or whatever. It isn't just the newbies....

And telling someone to go there and do it better..yeah, we get all that...just try and run the show a bit tighter I think it was most want....
I don't need it, but would like it on some band/modes, but not going to stress myself listening to the nit wits on there with all their comments, cursing, etc.  Just not worth it....
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 09:51:13 AM »

It is sad.  Unfortunately, some of which was brought on by their "operating style".  I have heard countless QSOs discussing it from 20 Meters to 75 meters.  I think though some word got back to them so fortunately, they are doing that less now.  As to the jerks, cops, idiots, etc.  Well, we always have them amongst us.  I have heard past Dxpeditions with calls on top of them for the longest time and some of them OT's that either can't see the split button, or whatever. It isn't just the newbies....

And telling someone to go there and do it better..yeah, we get all that...just try and run the show a bit tighter I think it was most want....
I don't need it, but would like it on some band/modes, but not going to stress myself listening to the nit wits on there with all their comments, cursing, etc.  Just not worth it....

Chris:

I had some time this morning to make a quick dash home and try to get a 12m CW Contact. Same ole problem with loads of QRM on the PT0S QRG Freq. It got so bad that nobody was hearing PT0S and he packed it in. While that is one way to stop the QRM, unfortunately nobody got a chance to work em while I was listening. It is getting to a point at times where it doesn't matter what the Control station does, we are going to have all those "Idiots, lids...etc" joining us on the bands.

What would be nice to see is some kind of auto id built into each radio so we could see who these offenders are, but that will never happen....

73 De Mike
VE3YF
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 10:26:38 AM »

Vince, isnt it interesting that most of these cave dweller baboons are from NC, SC, GA, TENN, AL, ARK, etc. etc.  I see that a lot of those states want to leave the union. Go ahead, leave, and leave your ham tickets AND YOUR RIGS at the state line. (sorry for the semi-political rant. please forgive me Huh)

73, Gene AF3Y

I apologize for getting political as well. I voted for the losing candidate and I dislike many of this President's policies but I really find this secession talk repugnant and unpatriotic. We had a close election and Obama won.  Like him, or not, he is our President for the next 4 years.  We went down this road 150 years ago and cousin killing cousin is about as ugly as it gets.

Chris/NU1O

Ah, com'on Gene AF3Y. I had some respect for you before your idiotic statement of "...that most of these cave dweller baboons are from NC, SC, GA, TENN, AL, ARK,...", which sounds like a typical reponse from a displaced Yankee!!!!! So my family is a bunch of cave dwelling primates? Thanks alot you jerk!!!!

Before throwing rocks at the Southern gentry, take a look at the statistics .... there are petitions from ALL 50 STATES to seceed from the Union. So you high and mighty Northerners / Yankee sympathizers can come down off your soapboxes. People in the ENTIRE country are pi$$ed at the election results, not just the Old South states. Yes, I am from the South, born in Arkansas and while I don't live there currently, heart belongs to Dixie!

Sure, the South rebeled, was beaten and forced back into line with the rest of the US. Sure many in the South have a continuing bad taste from the whole affair but it would appear that the ones who are holding the grudge the hardest and longest over what happened nearly 150 years ago aren't from the South!!!

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 02:54:17 PM »

By the way, Gene W5DQ......  I was born in South Carolina, grew up in South Carolina, went to College in South Carolina and married a girl from South Carolina.

Where someone is from or not from makes no difference regarding being an asshole on the radio. I dont hold a grudge against anyone from anywhere, except those who give reason, like screwing up the DX. Actually, if the truth be known, I am probably one of the most Liberal users of this site. That has, or at least should have, NOTHING to do with the goons who scream out the ignorant profane rants on SSB.

I lived in the South most of my life, especially if you consider Florida the South..... (about half of it in SC) some dont, and thats OK too. But, let me tell you something, I can detect a southern drawl as well as anyone, having had one most of my life. Their lack of vocabulary, except for their large doses of profanity and backwoods english speaks little for their education as well. MOST of the guys that I hear are positively from the south, and they are certainly not the "Southern GENTRY".

Nah, I am certainly not a displaced Yankee, but I do have an awful lot of friends from "Up Nawth", as well as from the South.  None of my friends wants to leave the Union that I am aware of, and MOST of them voted for the losing candidate as you did. So what? I dont hold grudges because of anyones political leanings either.

Sorry you took my very broad statement personally. If it offended you as much as it seems.... I apologize. Sorry.....

73, Gene AF3Y

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:07:36 PM by AF3Y » Logged
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 07:38:41 PM »

By the way, Gene W5DQ......  I was born in South Carolina, grew up in South Carolina, went to College in South Carolina and married a girl from South Carolina.

Where someone is from or not from makes no difference regarding being an asshole on the radio. I dont hold a grudge against anyone from anywhere, except those who give reason, like screwing up the DX. Actually, if the truth be known, I am probably one of the most Liberal users of this site. That has, or at least should have, NOTHING to do with the goons who scream out the ignorant profane rants on SSB.

I lived in the South most of my life, especially if you consider Florida the South..... (about half of it in SC) some dont, and thats OK too. But, let me tell you something, I can detect a southern drawl as well as anyone, having had one most of my life. Their lack of vocabulary, except for their large doses of profanity and backwoods english speaks little for their education as well. MOST of the guys that I hear are positively from the south, and they are certainly not the "Southern GENTRY".

Nah, I am certainly not a displaced Yankee, but I do have an awful lot of friends from "Up Nawth", as well as from the South.  None of my friends wants to leave the Union that I am aware of, and MOST of them voted for the losing candidate as you did. So what? I dont hold grudges because of anyones political leanings either.

Sorry you took my very broad statement personally. If it offended you as much as it seems.... I apologize. Sorry.....

73, Gene AF3Y

Gene,

I don't blame him for taking it personally.  Take a minute and reread your post.
What kind of reaction did you expect ?  I am offended by your post also.  Angry
Pretty juvenile to single out areas of the USA and point the finger.  Unless you are
motivated to create hard feelings and make enemies I suggest you think about what you are going to post and what impact it would have before posting. 

Bob
K6UJ

WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 06:49:52 AM »

I don't want to second-guess the ops of PT0S (who are really, really fine,) but could they do anything when they encounter this sort of bad behavior? Maybe a large QSY every five minutes, or whenever they are spotted?

I also remember the treatment from The Complete DXer where the DX op shamed a lid by naming him, declaring that he would not QSL the lid, and instead QRT.

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 07:32:03 AM »

73, Gene AF3Y

Apology accepted. I guess I am somewhat thin skinned when it comes to that topic. While I try not to resurrect old North-South differences, I was raised in the deep South by southern parents in the 50's and 60's and all my adult life after I left Dixie and started to make my way in the world, I have put up with people looking down their noses at people like me just because we happened to be from the South and was raised in a Southern tradition. I guess they figure we are all the stereotypical hayseed from down 'there'. When it hits home, intended or not, it raises my ire to the boiling point!

Back on topic, yes I too hate it when people go out of their way to cause trouble for the pileup. Some of it is just plain unknowing of the proper procedures and methods. But much of it is deliberate and those are the one that need to be strapped across the B+ of my amp while I work the pileup!!!!

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 05:18:30 AM »

I don't want to second-guess the ops of PT0S (who are really, really fine,) but could they do anything when they encounter this sort of bad behavior? Maybe a large QSY every five minutes, or whenever they are spotted?

I also remember the treatment from The Complete DXer where the DX op shamed a lid by naming him, declaring that he would not QSL the lid, and instead QRT.

- WX2S

They went QRT on 12m this morning after only maybe 20-30m. It turned into a clown car pretty quickly.

At one point some joker camped out on his transmitting frequency and started calling "CQ CQ CQ de UP1LID"

That's a new one I think.

ex W4HFK
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 09:34:41 AM »

- WX2S

They went QRT on 12m this morning after only maybe 20-30m. It turned into a clown car pretty quickly.

At one point some joker camped out on his transmitting frequency and started calling "CQ CQ CQ de UP1LID"

That's a new one I think.

Tuesday evening I finally got some time to get on the radio and tried to get them on 40M SSB, which was the only place I could find them active. I finally see what you guys have been talking about. I never heard so much trash in my life on a DX frequency. I hate to say it, but the time I was trying, but most of the time the cops were actually tame. Basically they only TX'ed when the a seeming legitimate caller was simplex, telling him UP. But there was a big load of BS on freq from carriers, tuner-uppers, people calling "helllllllooooo, hellloooo', whistlers, and the assorted crap that seems to be getting worse.

There were several that wanted to know where UP was and the cops told them from 160 to 200, which I found seemed to be true as there were stations calling all over the place. Some Net rep kept coming on freq (7.155) and saying that the DX op was interfering with a net and they should moved, to which there was a comment or two. I guess the net guy figured all he had to do was show up and say QSY and the whole band was going to move for them???

The best on I heard EVER was a bozo that came up on freq, simplex, and called to which a cop told him they were working UP. He asked UP what and the cop then again told him "all over the place". Then someone said "Their working SPLIT" to which the bozo answered, and I kid you NOT, "What's SPLIT? I don't know what SPLIT means?" Someone else made a comment "If you don't know how to use SPLIT you should not be working DX". The bozo must have either learned quickly what split was or he went QSY or QRT cause he didn't call on the DX's freq no more.

You would think that the licensing questions would ask questions about basic HF operations related to the common practices like working DX and such. In our training classes, we teach, NOT MEMORIZE, how to do just that. Our training classes are 7 weeks long and we have a full session on HF operations and station equipment and capabilities. Not that our graduates are above norm, but at least they know what "SPLIT" is and how to use it properly.

Needless to say, I did not get PT0S yet Sad

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 02:51:36 PM »

The best on I heard EVER was a bozo that came up on freq, simplex, and called to which a cop told him they were working UP. He asked UP what and the cop then again told him "all over the place". Then someone said "Their working SPLIT" to which the bozo answered, and I kid you NOT, "What's SPLIT? I don't know what SPLIT means?" Someone else made a comment "If you don't know how to use SPLIT you should not be working DX". The bozo must have either learned quickly what split was or he went QSY or QRT cause he didn't call on the DX's freq no more.

Needless to say, I did not get PT0S yet Sad

Gene W5DQ

Oh Dear LORD Roll Eyes......... And some of you guys wonder WHY I (and others) get FRUSTRATED.  If you cannot work DX, dont know what SPLIT is, or dont even know what the hell DX is, DONT TRANSMIT.  I dont think any of these guys know the meaning of the word LISTEN.  IF they would listen, and IF they have any damned sense at all, it would not take long to figure this thing out.  I wonder where these people come from... Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: