Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna built to survive 90 mph 3 second gust wind speed?  (Read 6521 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 08:54:26 PM »

Jim, I use the CG-3000.  Not sure if they can be purchased in the States anymore.  Chinese manuf, Array Solutions was carrying them for awhile.

DX Engineering sells a reasonably priced MFJ remote tuner with their vertical setup, check the website.  Just ask them to check the unit for proper operation and quality control before sending.  Sometimes MFJ (NOT DX Engineering) has quality issues.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 07:12:10 AM »

I think you need to look at the ordinance the City information line operator is telling you in black and white.  Some of these people have no clue about ham radio and most ordinances have exemptions for ham radio.

Rick is correct.  I live in Albuquerque too and have a tower (and verticals, and wires in the trees).  The city is concerned about accessory structures, not radiating elements.  The typical zoning office clerk who answers the phone won't know the difference between a G5RV, Rohn 45 or a 5BTV.  Put up whatever antenna you like, and get on with your life.  Worry about it when you *do* want to put up some Rohn 45.

What HOA or other deed restrictions you may have in that neighborhood is another story.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »

My SteppIR 4 element beam and vertical have survived a F2 tornado. Don't know the exact speeds of the winds but they were well over 150 MPH. Brick house got a new roof and windows.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »

My crappie pole 23 foot vertical has also survived 100MPH sustained wind gusts for many hours without damage.
I have had many wire antenna's, and if I have them connected to trees, they inevitably break.
It's amazing how much a tree can move in extreme wind conditions, strain relief measures notwithstanding.
A wire antenna mounted between non flexible supporting structures is much more resilient.

Like the other vertical guys, I use a remote ATU at the base of a vertical and forget it.
No climbing, no fuss.

One caveat - as soon as you put big traps or a capacity hat on the vertical (even a small top hat) the wind resistance goes up hugely.
The movement also becomes chaotic which is more likely to break the vertical than the smoother movement without top hats.
I have watched many vertical configurations in high winds, and the smooth stick is by far the most stable.

So a smooth flexible antenna like a crappy pole (or Steppir vertical) provide a very low profile wind target.
For example, the SmallIR vertical is rated for 100MPH winds with no guys.
Bend but not break is the rule for high wind antennas.

Good luck,

73 - Rob
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:09:48 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 12:36:55 PM »

If you are satisfied with the performance of the wire antennas then it may be better to "upgrade" the wire installation. Use pulleys on the trees, #12 CopperWeld wire, etc.
AF5FH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 10:26:57 PM »

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I have decided that my low dipole is coming down for good, and I am putting up an AV640 vertical on a commercial/industrial grade roof tripod, with dacron rope guys. The city permit folks have already said that a radio/television antenna supported by the roof does not need a permit.

I picked the roof install because I have limited yard space. Most of my radials would have ended up being 12 feet long. And my backyard is bordered on all sides by walls and houses. When I stand on my roof, I can see over most everything around me. Except of course the mountains directly east of my house.  Smiley

Jim, AF5FH
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 03:20:46 PM »

I think a Hustler 6BTV with the DX engineering 17 meter add-on kit will survive 90 mph winds when guyed at the 20 meter trap. Paracord is recommended as guy material for this type of installation.
Dunno about 90 MPH, but my unguyed 6BTV (with 17m kit) survived Hurricane Sandy's sustained 60 MPH winds. And kept smilin'.

73, -WX2S.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:23:00 PM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: