Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone get a living relative's former call sign?  (Read 13911 times)
KD5GR

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2012, 06:13:38 PM »

I upgraded to Advanced in 1977 and changed my call sign.  My original call sign is not assigned and my son would like to get it when he passes his Technician exam.  I know it's possible to get a deceased relative's former call sign, but I can't find anything about a living relative's former call sign.

Does anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks,
Chas.
W4XK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 07:47:03 PM »

Your son will be assigned a sequential callsign when he passes the exam. After he receives his original call, he can apply
for ANY unassigned call that he is qualified for with the vanity callsign program. If he is a Technician he can apply for any
unassigned 2 by 3 or 1 by 3 call.

Bill W4XK
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »

The difference is that he doesn't have preference over anyone else.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »

The original license holder has two years after expiration, and then the call is back into the pool. If it has been more than two years, he can apply for it as his vanity call.

Pete
K4YZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 06:34:04 AM »

Hey Chas...

Congrats and welcome to Amateur Radio.

One caveat on applying for your living relative's former call...BE CAREFUL to NOT, repeat NOT use the "deceased relative" or "former holder" options on the FCC form 605.  As another poster said you'll be applying for an available Vanity call like anyone else, but the FCC will eventually catch the mistake and sends you one of those nasty letters to "show cause" why you applied the way you did, then make you go through a confusing paperwork drill to get it right.

Steve, K4YZ
KD5GR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 06:00:43 PM »

Hey Chas...

Congrats and welcome to Amateur Radio.

One caveat on applying for your living relative's former call...BE CAREFUL to NOT, repeat NOT use the "deceased relative" or "former holder" options on the FCC form 605.  As another poster said you'll be applying for an available Vanity call like anyone else, but the FCC will eventually catch the mistake and sends you one of those nasty letters to "show cause" why you applied the way you did, then make you go through a confusing paperwork drill to get it right.

Steve, K4YZ

Thanks for the tip Steve!  It's my son wanting my old call and I'll be sure to warn him not to make that mistake.  I can see how that could happen.

Thanks again,
Chas.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 04:11:05 AM »

I saw this question answered by someone in the FCC once.  The answer given was no.  The reason given was suppose the original holder and the new holder had a falling out--and the original holder then wanted their old callsign back.  If it were within the two years--and even after, it presents a dilemma.  The FCC avoids anything like that that will twist their regs into a pretzel shape!

W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 08:14:23 PM »

Yes, my ex-wife has my old call LOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: