Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-530 Low receive on 10M band  (Read 2630 times)
KB8BAB

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2012, 08:42:22 AM »

I've got a TS-530S with low RX on the 10M Band and it won't load on the TX 10M side.
All the other bands work fine.
I've cleaned the contacts on the switches but made no difference. Whatever it is, seems to be only 10M related.

Using an older signal generator to check, indicates the same "low receive" on 10M when looking at the deflection on the s-meter.

Any suggestions on the next step(s)?

Bart
KB8BAB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »

Mmmm.

Caps and switches in the final are all measuring good....
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 03:00:16 PM »

Did it work OK and then get deaf, or has it been deaf ever since you had it?  That will tell us if somebody went in there with a diddle stick before you got it.

Dick  AD4U
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 04:09:42 PM »

Check to see if it was ever converted and used on the 11 meter band...

Just having the right crystals in the sockets is the first thing to check, but sometimes they are reinserted at sale time but all the other tunings and tweakings with the 11 meter golden screwdriver are typically just left where they were. 

Although a 530 on 11 meters is indeed a rare occurrence for reasons of complexity in conversion, I've seen at least two cross my bench over the years. 

Even if not converted, checking the crystals and oscillator to see if there is at least the base signal present is a good starting point. 

VE7DQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 05:03:01 PM »

Crystals?  Sockets?  The TS-530 uses PLL circuitry.  Perhaps, WD, you are confusing his TS-530 with the TS-520, many of which found their way into the other... 'service'.  You are correct, however, that it would be a challenging conversion.

Both the TS-530 and TS-830 bandswitches are known to have intermittant connection issues where they are soldered to the RF unit PC board.  That would be a place to start.  Cleaning the bandswitch contacts won't help.

73 and good luck
Tom
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 05:13:34 PM »

...which reminds me of this web page

Never change a password on a Friday                
KB8BAB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 05:07:01 AM »

Thanks guys....

Gives me some more to look at.

Bart
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 05:34:28 AM »

Crystals?  Sockets?  The TS-530 uses PLL circuitry.  Perhaps, WD, you are confusing his TS-530 with the TS-520, many of which found their way into the other... 'service'.  You are correct, however, that it would be a challenging conversion.

Both the TS-530 and TS-830 bandswitches are known to have intermittant connection issues where they are soldered to the RF unit PC board.  That would be a place to start.  Cleaning the bandswitch contacts won't help.

73 and good luck
Tom

Yes indeed, I was thiking about the 520 and this is a 530. 

Thanks for catching that.

Lately it seems I've been spending a lot of time thinking about the hereafter.

I walk into a room in the house and then stand there in the middle and say to myself, "now what the hell did I come hereafter?" 

From here on out it looks like life will consist of the 40 meter oldfart nets...

*grin*

VE7DQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »

Yeah, Clark, I find myself standing in many places wondering what I'm doing there as well... or where I put down the tool I was just using.   Huh

I do recall someone presenting me with a TS-120/130 (can't remember which) that was 'adjusted' for 11M; it was a nightmare and I declined the repair. 

Any results from the original poster? (nudge nudge)

My OF gathering is on 80.  Most of us are retar... uh, retired.   Grin

Tom 
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »

hi Bart,

have you cleaned the wipers on the variable caps on the RF board?

Great group for ts 5xx and 8xx hybrid fans

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-520_820_530_830/

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: