Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: External Bandscope for FT-1000MP  (Read 3281 times)
W9BKR

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »

I have an FT-1000MPMK5, had the IF brought out and running thru the LP Pan adapter, running HRD and Power SDR IF Stage, but the signal is not clear and buried in noise unless the signal is at least S-9+10 or more.

Is there another method to have an external band scope for the FT_1000 or for that matter, to bring out the IC-756PRO?  Like a decent bandscope external to the radio....

Up for doable ideas....

K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 08:32:53 AM »

Unfortunately, the Mk5 and IC-756 Pro both have high frequency first IFs due to their upconverting design and so neither are suitable for just an amplified tap on the first IF.  The IF frequencies are outside the range of an LP-Pan.  You really need to use the first IF to get the bandwidth you need for an effective panadaptor.  So, any use of the first IF would require a mixer to convert the frequency of the IF down to something that can be handled by an LP-Pan.  Is that how your Mk V IF tap was done?  I've read about some people obtaining the signal at the second IF, but that means a severely reduced bandwidth for the panadaptor.  And, if the tap is not properly done (including a buffer amplifier stage for the tap output), you'll experience problems such as the one you describe. 

By the way, NaP3 is vastly superior to HRD or PowerSDR/IF for panadaptor use. 

I wish one of our engineer friends would design a mixer for tapping these VHF IF stages, with a programmable oscillator allowing the device to be used with a variety of IF frequencies in the 60-70 MHz range. 

With my current setup of an Orion II ( 9 MHz first IF), LP-Pan, NaP3, I can clearly see signals that are barely audible on the headphones.

73, Floyd - K8AC
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:22:01 AM »

Floyd, re NaP3, I am currently using TRX Pan with my K3.  I'm wondering how NaP3 compares with TRX Pan:   complexity of install, use with less than super fast PC, user friendliness.   John.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 10:27:52 AM »

I'm wondering how NaP3 compares with TRX Pan:   complexity of install, use with less than super fast PC, user friendliness. 

Good question.  But, I was never able to get TRX Pan to run on my Win 7 machine.  For some reason, some of the graphics just wouldn't display.  NaP3 is much easier to get running properly and it just doesn't fail. 

73, Floyd
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »

GOt mine working fine.  Found out the LP Pan wasn't configured correctly for the IF of the 1000.  Changed some caps in the front end filter section and works great now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: