Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PT0S may be the one that ends it for me......  (Read 4208 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »

Not gonna mince words....I am pissed!.....with the bad behavior....the pileups that show no signs of thinning out anytime soon.....the lack of sunspots.....and the lack of their being on 20 meters, this may just send me over the edge and I terminate my DXCC entity pursuts for good.....I am telling you guys, I have had it.....I will continue to listen for them until next weekend when it ends, but if I come up empty, I think I am pretty much done......It's getting old, and I don't have the patients for this insanity that some of you guys live for......I will hope that by this time next week, they will be begging, but something tells me that won't be the case.....

V
KA3NRX

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »

I wouldn't DX if it wasn't fun.  But, strangely enough, I find that participating in pileups to be a great stress reliever. They are like little puzzles to solve.  Most importantly, I either work the DX or I don't--then I can go and do something else, and not worry about it, since there isn't anything else to be done...

KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 12:43:19 PM »

Below is a quote from your QRZ page...

Since being first licensed in 1985, and at the time if this update, I have managed to work 281 countries (including deleted countries, and including the brand new ST0 South Sudan) on all bands and modes, with most of them confirmed. All worked with wire antennas alone!...That, my friends, took some serious screaming, scratching and clawing!

You need to stick with that. I feel your pain one this one as I am in Nevada and only have a vertical, but we can't let the LIDS win.  Wink

Eric

Eric
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »

Considering their last log update shows 21,831 qsos, and only 8,431 unique calls, I wouldn't look for the pileups to die down anytime soon.

I haven't heard them on 20m but once or twice myself, and they weren't very strong when I did.

On the other hand, if you'll set your alarm clock for 08:00 UTC, you should be able to pick them up on 40m or 30m. Fairly strong, and not much of a pileup.

K2CUB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 12:59:49 PM »

These guys are great and activated a country that for all intensive purposes was closed to Ham Radio forever!  They are doing this on 2 drums of fuel and 4 ops.  Give it a break and be glad we have guys like this in our hobby.  It is a pile of rocks in the middle of nothing.  They are good ops and great people. It is easier on the lower frequencies this time around.  Best 73 and Best DX.  and Yes the puzzle analogy is a great one!
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:15:35 PM »

Don't give up Vince! The PT0S operation is frustrating at times, especially with the lids, but it's obvious that you do a good job of outsmarting the pileups if you have 281 confirmed with no amplifiers and just using wire antennas. Keep plugging away and I'm sure you will get them in the log soon enough Smiley

John K7KB
KB9BIT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 01:25:35 PM »

The lidosity on 40m the other night was a bit over the top and made me turn off the rig and go watch TV, but I'm still hoping to put them in the log for an ATNO. Maybe with this weekend's Sweeps the pile-ups will be somewhat smaller.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »

I will continue to listen for them until next weekend when it ends, but if I come up empty, I think I am pretty much done......

I will hope that by this time next week, they will be begging, but something tells me that won't be the case.....

V
KA3NRX

Vince...... dont wait until next weekend! Their last day is approx. (per the website...) the 22nd, or next Thursday.  I dont know if they will be QRV on Thursday, or tearing down for the trip home.
As noted above, if you can hammer out CW on the 40m band around 3:00 AM local, you should have an easy time of getting in their log.
Also, their update sez they have problems with 3 of their 4 K-3s...... If they have to cut back, it is not going to get much better. DONT WAIT!
GL/73, Gene AF3Y
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 02:45:26 PM »

I sure wish they did some 20M SSB.  Low bands are great for those that operate there, or need band fill.  But for a perhaps once in a lifetime entity, I think the operation should be spread around more.  Anyway, since I operate 20M SSB, that's my two cents worth.
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 03:34:07 PM »

The other day, i was up at 3:30am EST and looked for them. They were on 30m cw and 20m ssb. On 30m cw,
the band just opened and they were heard and we worked them. After a few CQ calls and no takers, he just
went to another band.

The same on 20m ssb. There was no prop. When the prop built up, we called and he came back. He was there for a
short while and then went QRX Smiley. The pileup started to build.

So if you are looking for that elusive ATNO, then wake up early, look for them and try to beat the cluster activated pileup.
I know is easier said than done.

Good luck
Krish
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 04:08:33 PM »

Defintiely wake up early/stay up late to get this one. The pileups weren't quite as bad around 0700-0900. 40 or 80 is your best bet if they're working there (or if you can do 160.. they've been heavily favoring that). I worked them on 80 and 40 in those hours... it took a fair amount of work to get them still, but I'm in the log. The pileups sound like they're still pretty intense even after being on the air as long as they have already. Good luck and don't give up! I'm only working with a dipole and did it with 100w here. Still haven't gotten through voice though. I'd be happy with one voice contact but we'll see. Right now I'm just happy with what I have.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 04:35:59 PM »

The drivers of this DXpedition - AA7JV and HA7RY - are low band fanatics.  They are following the same band plan they used from VK9GMW and TX3A.  This has been announced as a low band DXpedition from the beginning - the other bands are "icing".  As a result, they have been heavily focused on 80 and 160 CW.  This can be frustrating for those who do not have antennas for these bands, or are not proficient on CW, but think about it another way.  These guys went to get on 160/80.  Otherwise they probably would not have gone - and you wouldn't have any chance to work PY0S at all.  Complaining about a lack of activity on one particular band or another is disparaging to the guys who are there, on their own dime for the most part.  I understand that most of the complaints here are out of simple frustration, but there are those especially on the DX cluster who bash away ruthlessly.  Makes me wonder if they would say the same thing if they were face-to-face with the PT0S ops.

73, Dave

PS - they have been very workable on 80m - with a good signal and good ears.  It's a 12,000 mile path from here (long path) yet it was an easy QSO.  NA and EU have it much, much easier especially if they wait for the dead of night after the riff-raff have all gone to bed.
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 06:36:42 PM »

The fact that we have morons purposely interfering with the operation is just appalling.  The scary part is that I bet most of them ARE  licensed Amateurs!
The only time I could clearly hear pt0s was on 40m phone, and the lids raising havoc were just too much and I decided to shut down.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 07:00:49 PM »

I would have to agree that these pileups will not be dying down by the time the lads are QRT. The GreenieQuestâ„¢ has seen to that. I think there was a new rule passed a few years back: Everyone Must Work Every DX Station on Every Band-Mode Combination or else their manhood will be deemed inadequate, their hair will fall out, they will develop pot bellies and an affinity for hamabout scooters in Dayton.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »

Vince,

IGNORE the PIGS...there are PIGS everywhere in society.

If I can get thru...anyone can !
You know I have a crap station.

Just DON'T BLOW IT and wait until the last minute.
Stay up tonight or tomorrow night and keep prowling around.
You will snag them.

I'm at 2 Q's so far, 40m CW and 20m RTTY that I just
logged a few minutes ago.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: