Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PT0S may be the one that ends it for me......  (Read 4915 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 05:26:09 AM »

Hi guys....It seems this happens every time....I put out a bitch and moan post on e-ham about how things are with a needed dxpedition for a new entity, and then I wind up with a 3 cheese omlet on my face.  I got in from the James Bond movie last night, fired up the cluster...and much to my surprise, guess who was on 20 meters SSB???....you guessed it.....and after about a half hour of calling, bagged PT0S at 0455.....Again, it wasn't with out yet another annoyance, as there was a hideous buzzing noise over thier signal, which I get on 14.195 for some reason....I don't know if its from the neighborhood, or on the band or what, but fortunately, they were either at or above that buzzing, which subsided at varied points.....I am glad I didn't wait till the end, in reading through all of these posts.....and I saw where they were going to be there until the 25th per an ARRL bulletin?....but their web site says the 22nd (turkey day)......Like I said....glad I didn't wait......I thought HK0NA was a problem, but this one was one chip shot dx that was a real ball buster!........ Roll Eyes Shocked Undecided..........

V
KA3NRX

KB9BIT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 06:10:42 AM »

Good advice about getting up early. I got up this morning about 3:45am EST and bagged them on 40 CW with one call. Last night I tried on 30 m for over four hours with no luck.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 08:18:08 AM »

Vince,

Congrats on your QSO!  You can be very proud of this one, as only 771 NA stations have 20m QSO's with them thus far.  See: https://secure.clublog.org/charts/?c=PT0S#r

Chuck  NI0C
NI3K

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 10:17:50 AM »

......I thought HK0NA was a problem, but this one was one chip shot dx that was a real ball buster!........ ..........

Have you never boned a chip shot, Vince?  Sometimes they can be impossible to get close to hole.  Congrats, Man...

Scott...
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 12:43:47 PM »

LOL....thanks guys....yeah 771....just shows how they are really emphasizing the lower bands......I'll be listening for more, but I am not going to press my luck either....Hey Scott, been a while....we're still hanging on .52 if you care to join in.....and, just so you know....my game is softball (at least it used to be), not golf.... Grin....

V
KA3NRX

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »

Congratulations!

Hardly a chip shot when you consider the amount of competition you have--unless you are willing and able to operate at 3AM from the East Coast....

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »

Congratulations!!
Randy
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »

Congrats.  Well done.  20 meters, because it is open worldwide pretty much 24x7, is tougher for us than lower bands (when darkness restricts the prop).
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 01:40:21 AM »

Good advice about getting up early. I got up this morning about 3:45am EST and bagged them on 40 CW with one call. Last night I tried on 30 m for over four hours with no luck.
No, this will never work. You will need a Sturba curtain to blast through the QRM.  Cheesy

BTW, thank you, W3LPL, for the spot.

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
WF2S

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 07:47:42 AM »

Do not let few fools cause you to drop out of the GREAT RACE !! It is a fact of life, even at a football game you will always find a few fools and drunks that try to ruin the enjoyment of the other spectators. Outsmart them and study the DX station's operating pattern. Is he moving up, doing two or three on a freq then jumping around ?? It is the hunt that is the fun. Like hunting wild game, you're the hunter and they are the prey. The "kill" is hearing the Dx return your callsign. The trophy is the qsl confirmation.

I started in 1971 as a kid and still enjoy the hunt. When the fools get to me, I HAVE THE ULTIMATE POWER.. The OFF BUTTON.. In an hour or so, they get bored and find something else that boosts their feeble egos.

DO Not Give Up- the fools will think they have won..

Steve  WF2S
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »

I didn't expect the pileups to stay as bad as they did either.  I don't think the clublog boxes had that much to do with it. I think most hams realized that this entity might not be activated again for a long time so we had better get them on as many bands and modes as possible.  Never did get them, but worked a few other new band countries and 1 new QRP country while they were active.  Glad I didn't need PY0S for an ATNO, but might have this hole in my CW DX total for a long time.

Yes, the pileup behavior at times makes me think about giving up DXing as well.  I know one ham who gave up on HF DXing after the behavior during a Bouvet DXpedtion (3Y5X I believe) back in the 1990s.  It must have worked, as he wins first place overall in most VHF contests today.

John AF5CC
WB0CJB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 01:58:30 PM »

It really is ridiculous the way others try to make it hard for us to work an ATNO. With the DX frequency cops, jammers, tuner uppers and the rest of those idiots its no wonder why people get so frustrated with trying to work a new one. Then on top of that you have the idiots who must work the station on every possible band and mode just get their ego stroked and they can brag to their fellow blowhards how many times they worked that station.Personally I think they are just trying to make up for their microscopic endowments.

I'm one of those little pistols that run 100W into a vertical.Back when I first got into ham radio I wanted a kilowatt and a beam so I could work big DX. That was the mentality then and it still is. Yes there are times when I wish I was running more power and had a beam to work a new one. But you know I've had great fun for the past 42 years and I still plan to get in there and join the fray and try to work that elusive station.Sometimes I get them on the first call (that is TOO easy), sometimes it takes a few hours to get them, (yesss!!!-FINALLY got them!!!), then again I don't get to work them (oh well there will be other chances). But I will always stand by the fact that you don't need power and a huge antenna farm to work a station. Persistance and lots of patience is the key.

I may never make that DX Honor Roll and I don't care. My goal is to get 5 Band DXCC. Some day I WILL!!!!!!!!

AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 02:23:12 PM »

I may never make that DX Honor Roll and I don't care. My goal is to get 5 Band DXCC. Some day I WILL!!!!!!!!

Yes you will!  I sometimes look at my 5BDXCC plaque (with 30m, 17m, and 12m endorsements) and still shake my head in wonder.  I did it with 100 watts and wire or vertical antennas.  Not to brag, just to show what can be done with smaller stations, which was the point of your post.  I was thinking the same thing as you-it has been an incredible journey.  I know you have been doing it a bit longer than I, as my original call was a KA0 call.

John AF5CC
W4RS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 09:52:13 PM »

i sometimes feel your pain, but my great elmer, n4bzx nw k4otv said its time on the river. you may not get a fish today, but with enought time on the river, one day you will get the fish.
it is a hobby, not a life changing experience.
many the night i have gotten a phone call at 2 or 3 in the morning telling me such and such is on now, up 30 or so.
these were the days before clusters. i have 314 wk now, got to get some conf and sumitted.
but it can be done, its just time on the river
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: