Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whence AH0I ???  (Read 1102 times)
KA5N

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2012, 02:58:47 AM »

AH0I has been on DX Clusters the last few days and has been worked by a number of stations
(including me).   AH0I is a Mariana Islands callsign, but QRZ.com gives a Costa Mesa address.
I would expect if someone with a AH0 call would sign  AH0I/W6 (or similar) when operating from
the continental US.  So I am wondering is this a DX contact ...  or what?  I should have asked
when I was working him (but you know how it goes).  I have heard other confused hams asking
the same question  (and many stations clammering for a QSO).  I suppose I may have to work
him again or email him for clarification.
KA5N  Allen
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 03:14:12 AM »

I worked a KH7 on 160M before local sunset last week, marveling that the band was open to both EU and the Pacific at that time of day. Only to find him later signing /W4. Well at least the EU calls were actual DX :-)

Some contests require that they sign /W4 or /W6 as appropriate in the contest (e.g. "The station call sign must identify the station’s location as defined by the DXCC List"). I don't think the FCC has required signing portable-like with correct call district, in many many decades.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 03:16:06 AM »

If what you are asking is: is AH0I operating from Costa Mesa, California, the answer is a resounding no.....that's just a mailing address...probably for his home qth.....Believe me when I tell you this, because on Saturday morning, I tried calling AH0I on 30 meters, and he just kept on calling CQ.....I was crushed, as that is another one needed for an ATNO.....the only saving grace was the he wasn't hearing all the other east coast stations that were calling him as well.....

V
KA3NRX
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:48:45 AM »

I worked AH0I on 10M last night--he started calling for W1s after our QSO.. very characteristic of a station near Japan, not the West Coast.  I then worked H44RK on PSK31 to prove the propagation was really long on 10M   Grin

I might add that this was the first time that I've every actually heard Ralph, H44RK, at anything more than a he might be in there whisper.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:51:40 AM by W1VT » Logged
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 04:21:19 AM »

Thanks for replies.
Takehiko had a good signal on 10 meters and my beam was aimed at the Marians
so nothing unusual there. 
I emailed him anyway, will report reply.

73 Allen KA5N
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 03:02:37 PM »

OK worked Takehiko (AH0I) again and asked him if he was operating from the
Marianas and he answered in the afirmative and repeated several times.  You
can QSL under his Japanese  call  JF1IRW. 
Now if I can only work PTOS (I think there is something that sucks out their signal
before it gets to me, don't know what, just that something sucks including the pile ups.

73 Allen KA5N
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 04:23:36 PM »

The vast majority of 2X1 KH2 and KH0 calls are held by Japanese nationals who have the call as a souvenier of sorts.  Their stateside address was just a mail drop for the license - QSLs sent to them will never make it back to the op. You need to send a QSL to their JA home call.  There are only a few hams who get and respond to buro cards sent to the KH2 buro (KG6DX, KH2/N2NL, NH2T, KH2L, and a couple more) - most non-residents have requested their buro cards be trashed.

73, Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: