Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interfering with each other  (Read 3806 times)
KD2CVM

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:42:19 AM »

I have lots of questions as I am new to the fold.
1.  My shack started out with just a Yaesu FT-8900 that I am only using for 2M and 70CM that I am pushing a J-pole with.  I am  adding a FT-450D that I will be connecting to a Unimax End-fed antenna.  Both antennas are fed from the same support pole.  Will I have any interference beween the 6M & 11M output of the 450D and the 8800R if the 8800 is never tune to the 6M and 11M bands?  If so, what precautions to I need to take?
2. Concerning the J-pole antenna, I have been told to ground the antenna by some  as well as insulate it from my mast by others. Also I have seen some suggest to put a coil of coax in line before connecting to the J-pole and others say do not, I'm confused, whats best?

Rem Hunnewell
K2REM
(Jersey Shore)
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:25:37 AM »

Don't you mean the 6 and 10 meter bands?
KD2CVM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »

Yes
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 04:50:27 PM »

Well I would advise you not to have both radios turned on at the same time when you are operating either 6 or 10 meters. You could take the receive out if you transmit on one and the other is turned on.

Just my thoughts, others may argue I am wrong. But I have two HF rigs in the shack and if one is on, the other is off.

Rick VE3FMC
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 08:00:08 PM »

To protect the rig's front end from the other rig when transmitting on the same antenna, a coax switch that grounds one connection when the other one is selected give you real protection.
If the antennas are separate, a non-grounding coax switch on each radio might give enough isolation. Just turning a radio off doesn't keep high power RF from nearby source from damaging the front end components.
Prevention is much cheaper than repair!

Fred, KQ6Q
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: