Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wordpress Web Site Hosting  (Read 6406 times)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 04:33:24 PM »

Set your TTL to about 5 minutes ASAP, don't wait if you are moving hosting sites...  It will help during the transit to Scott's hosting... 

I graph my web sites up/down time, and I have a graph which goes back a year...  One very short outage... 
Well ..... the idiot I used for hosting and to make the website will NOT give me my C Panel access! In fact, in the 3 months my site has been made, I have been unable to access it, in ANY way! I can not get into the admin of my site, because my site will seldom, if ever, load for me! All I usually get is a white screen! And IF I try to get into the site, it gives me a 402 error.

Hope you own the domain and have good email for it...  Move it to QTH.com...  You will NEVER have that problem at QTH...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 05:20:39 PM »

Set your TTL to about 5 minutes ASAP, don't wait if you are moving hosting sites...  It will help during the transit to Scott's hosting... 

I graph my web sites up/down time, and I have a graph which goes back a year...  One very short outage... 
Well ..... the idiot I used for hosting and to make the website will NOT give me my C Panel access! In fact, in the 3 months my site has been made, I have been unable to access it, in ANY way! I can not get into the admin of my site, because my site will seldom, if ever, load for me! All I usually get is a white screen! And IF I try to get into the site, it gives me a 402 error.

Hope you own the domain and have good email for it...  Move it to QTH.com...  You will NEVER have that problem at QTH...
I hear ya ! Yes, I own the domain, but I need the C Panel access for it, and so far, the guy I currently host with has not provided it by answering my emails!
He knows I am moving, and is keeping 2 years of hosting I already paid him for, so I don't see what the problem may be ?
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 05:38:04 PM »

I hear ya ! Yes, I own the domain, but I need the C Panel access for it, and so far, the guy I currently host with has not provided it by answering my emails!
He knows I am moving, and is keeping 2 years of hosting I already paid him for, so I don't see what the problem may be ?
These sorts of people really tick me off...  They take advantage of people...  In any case, just change DNS and you are free of him/it.  Make sure you have a copy of the web page on your local machine...  I have done a few "hostile" moves for customers, and they are always interesting.  The steps I take are as follows:

1.  Verify the owner has a working email address, which matches the Registrars records, and user has his/her registrar username/password.
2.  Make sure the owner has a copy of the web site.
3.  Set ttl to about 5 minutes, about a week prior to the move.
4.  Set up hosting in the new site.
5.  Set up site on QTH.COM.
6.  Let Scott know.
7.  Change DNS.
8.  Then I contact the far hosting site for refunds etc.

I realize that you probably know all of this already, but in the event you don't here it is...

PS: I have a perl script which will back up your web site once you get it on QTH.COM, you are welcome to...  Write off list if you want it.

73's es GL,
Dave
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 05:40:06 PM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 05:52:44 PM »

These sorts of people really tick me off...  They take advantage of people...  In any case, just change DNS and you are free of him/it.  Make sure you have a copy of the web page on your local machine...  I have done a few "hostile" moves for customers, and they are always interesting.  The steps I take are as follows:

1.  Verify the owner has a working email address, which matches the Registrars records, and user has his/her registrar username/password.
2.  Make sure the owner has a copy of the web site.
3.  Set ttl to about 5 minutes, about a week prior to the move.
4.  Set up hosting in the new site.
5.  Set up site on QTH.COM.
6.  Let Scott know.
7.  Change DNS.
8.  Then I contact the far hosting site for refunds etc.

I realize that you probably know all of this already, but in the event you don't here it is...

PS: I have a perl script which will back up your web site once you get it on QTH.COM, you are welcome to...  Write off list if you want it.

73's es GL,
Dave

HOW do you set TTL ?
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 06:02:35 PM »

HOW do you set TTL ?
I just realized you need access to your cpanel, or the machine it is running on...  See the following if you have access to the machine:

http://www.dnswatch.info/articles/dns-update
http://www.liquidweb.com/kb/how-to-lowering-your-dns-ttls/

These links explain it way better than I can...  I would push for Cpanel access...

Thanks,
Dave
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 07:17:28 PM »

HOW do you set TTL ?
I just realized you need access to your cpanel, or the machine it is running on...  See the following if you have access to the machine:

http://www.dnswatch.info/articles/dns-update
http://www.liquidweb.com/kb/how-to-lowering-your-dns-ttls/

These links explain it way better than I can...  I would push for Cpanel access...
Like I told Scott KA9FOX, this idiot offered  to make me a free wordpress website, IF I hosted with him, so I said yes. Then, he pressured me to do an adwords campaign.
I do not need any adwords campaign! My website is on page one Google for a worldwide roof cleaning search. Check it out, hide your IP from Google, then do a search for roof cleaning. You will see my company, Apple Roof Cleaning, up near the top of the results!

Being so highly ranked for a national search for roof cleaning, insures I dominate my local search term "roof cleaning tampa" !

Well, once this greedy idiot relaized I was not gonna be pressured into buying un needed ad words, he became a real PITA.

In retrospect, I WISH I would have contacted Scott KA9FOX before I ever got involved with this idiot! Scott could have taken my existing web site, converted me over to Wordpress, and I would have been a happy camper.

I do not even have a backup copy of my website, though I have requested it. He has refused, in the past, to give me  C Panel access as well! I fear things may become hostile! I am scared, because my income is dependent on my web site! Right now, people in Tampa want to get their roofs cleaned, because they want to put up X Mas lights. LOL, who wants to light up a dirty roof. This is my busiest time of year, and much of the time, my website gives only a white screen when it loads for others, including myself!

If anyone is reading this, please do a search for roof cleaning tampa, and when you see apple roof cleaning, try clicking on it, and see what I mean. About 20 percent of the time, all you get is a white screen of death!

I have many many competitors in my business. I NEED my website to convey to potential customers they should choose me.
This just SUCKS.
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »

Besides cleaning roofs here in the Tampa Florida area, I am a Nationally known teacher of my trade. I train and certify roof cleaners on this forum http://roof-cleaning-institute.activeboard.com/
I also help all hams for free, who want to learn how to safely clean any roof, w/o using harmful pressure washing.

I needed an online forum to interact with my students, and picked this one. It is usually Googles number one site for the search terms "roof cleaning" as long as you hide your IP address from Google! Google detects your IP address, and will return results closest to you, so your search will be flawed, unless you mask your IP address.

This Forum costs me from 3 to 400 dollars every month, so needless to say, I want to get the heck OFF of it. The Problem is I do not own my IP, and I dont think I can export all the many posts and threads, if I leave ?

I WISH there  were a way to leave, and keep my threads and posts. Yes, I will lose web rank if I leave, but our content is so fresh and traffic so high, I feel we can be back to page one in a matter of time.

LOL, I guess I need the services of an experienced Hacker, to allow me to get out from under the huge bill I pay every month for my roof cleaning forum!

I would gladly buy state of the art forum software, and turn to Scott KA9FOX to host it.

Oh, to all the Hams who suggested Scott to me, I want to thank you!
If I can help ANY of you, I will tell you the "secrets" of my Trade!
It is so easy to clean any roof you can safely walk on, you wouldn't believe it!

Now, if you are "getting up there in years", then the info I will give you may best be left for a younger Man. We just don't heal from injuries like we all did, when we were young!

Take a look at my roof cleaning forum http://roof-cleaning-institute.activeboard.com/ and see what you think ?  IS it possible to save all those threads and posts, IF I were to leave the forum company I am with, and start over ?

If so, then Scott KA9FOX will have another web hosting customer.

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 04:18:20 AM »

Hi,

Do you have FTP access?

Dave

Thanks,
Dave
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 04:42:34 AM »

Hi,

Do you have FTP access?

Dave

To what site Dave, my business site that Scott is going to host, or my Forum ?
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 04:49:18 AM »

The current site, the one you don't have cpanel access too.

Thanks,
Dave
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 05:35:03 AM »

The current site, the one you don't have cpanel access too.
I was given a user name and a password to get into the site, if that is what you mean by FTP access ? However, in 3 months, I have only been able too log in a few times.
The site fails to load for me 90 percent of the time. All I usually get is a white screen.

To make matters even worse, the idiot who currently hosts the site says he has no problems accessing the site, even though my students on my forum have had the same problems as I do. Even when confronted with this evidence that something is wrong, the guy refuses to fix it! hell, he will not even acknowledge it. Needless to say, the guy is a REAL piece of work.  Hold on, I will go find a link to the thread on my forum about the problems I have had, and you can see for yourself.

OK, here is the thread I started on my forum http://roof-cleaning-institute.activeboard.com/t51398826/hey-guys-can-you-do-me-a-favor/

Hopefully it will provide additional insight into the problems I have been having!

Someone mentioned to me that perhaps the guy who made the site, and is my current web host DELIBERATELY sabotaged my website!

You see, he made me my website for very little money, then tried to extract 20 bucks a month from me to host it!

Then, he tried to sell me ad words. I do not need ad words, my site is always number one in my local results.

I paid him 2 years in advance for hosting, and I believe he sabotaged the site, because he wants to get me off his server!

Think about it ? I refuse to buy ad words from him, and wil not pay him 20 bucks a month for hosting! WE settled on 6 bucks a month, so to try and make him happy, I paid 2 years in advance!

He has my money, so if he can get rid of me, he is ahead of the game.

I was told by a web guy on my forum who I trained to clean roofs that he has FOUND the problem with my site, and it can be easily fixed if he can have what he called C Panel access.  I have repeatedly asked for C Panel access, and he has refused!

Even when I told him I was moving, and Scott asked me to get C Panel access so he could move me, I have received no response to several emails.

I am convinced he did this to me, and he is scared that if I get C Panel access, I will undo what he did, and remain on his server that I paid for!

Why else would he refuse me C Panel access too my own website!

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:49:12 AM by KA7NIQ » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 05:46:15 AM »

Hi,

I did 10 loads of your site, and it came up all 10 times...  When I first say your post I did a load and it came up fine...  Not sure why it shows as white on your machine...  If you believe that you have the FTP passwords, ask Scott if he would transfer the texts for you...  He should charge you for this.  It is not a small job.

Thanks,
Dave
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 05:59:06 AM »

Hi,

I did 10 loads of your site, and it came up all 10 times...  When I first say your post I did a load and it came up fine...  Not sure why it shows as white on your machine...  If you believe that you have the FTP passwords, ask Scott if he would transfer the texts for you...  He should charge you for this.  It is not a small job.
Please read that thread I posted from my forum. A guy posted a screen shot of the problem he found with my website. I am not real computer savvy, but he found a mismatch is the best way I can explain it. See if you understand what he found, I do not.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 06:11:01 AM »

Hi,

Please read that thread I posted from my forum. A guy posted a screen shot of the problem he found with my website. I am not real computer savvy, but he found a mismatch is the best way I can explain it. See if you understand what he found, I do not.

I will when I get some time...  Good luck on this...

Thanks,
Dave
KI4EYO

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 11:55:58 PM »

I use http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=20249411

If you're looking for cheap, they're the cheapest. $3/mo is what I pay. Comes with all of the features of the other providers, and I've never had any trouble.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: