Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need thread lock ideas for my paddles.  (Read 2174 times)
KH2BR

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:13:05 AM »

I was in the middle of a QSO and my paddles fell apart on me. I was very embarrassed to say the least. !!
The pivot adjustments wiggled out of place and they do not have anything to lock them in place.
The paddle is a CT Ham Iambic dual lever paddle. I know that there is a compound called gliptal that I
used to use in the military, but I dont want to glue the adjustments in place so I can never adjust them.
Is there anything out there other then a glue or thread lock that I can use? I want to be able to adjust the piviots
or even disasemble the paddle for cleaning at times.

One more thing not related to this, when you answer my CQ, I want to hear my call sign, not only yours, Please.

Bob, KH2BR
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:02:43 AM »

I was in the middle of a QSO and my paddles fell apart on me.
One more thing not related to this, when you answer my CQ, I want to hear my call sign, not only yours, Please.

Bob, KH2BR

Last thing first Bob, because last is not least and the last ones will be the first ones when time happens to reverse.

You are quite right. In this country it was compulsory in the far past, just passed WW2 when I got my license.  but nowadays people are rude and sloppy in their behavior. Possibly due to minimizing time involved in "contest" contacts or a 5nn tu qso in a pile up, in which people take care to make an expensive expedition, in order to feel once in their life important. When you listen you want to know who is sending and to whom he is talking. At least each 5 minutes and furthermore at the start and end of each session.

Concerning your key or bug falling apart: Before that happens (and no fellow ham was kidding (joking) you in your shack) you have to notice the slack in the trunnion and adjust it. Use a contra nut in order to fix the adjustment in a stable position. Not some kind of glue.
Normally the axis ends up with an upside down V shape and the trunnion screw has a V shaped hole in the centre of the screw.

That yield a reasonable  wide adjustment range of the trunnion screw without loosing the axis out of the hole.

However when you bought something in eBay from a guy that lost his trunnion screw and replaced it with a normal screw without hole in the top, you get the problem described. Get a valid replacement, or drive a hole in the top of the present trunnion with a center point. Somebody with a lathe can drill with a special centre drill the required hole in the screw.

Another possibility: May be you missed the fact that the screws left and right of the bridge, perpendicular on the trunnion screws, are there in order to fix the trunnion screws in their adjusted position.

Gd luck
Bob

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:24:07 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:27:35 AM »

Bob:  Locktite makes a product that you can put on screws that will lock them in place and if the screw needs to be removed at a later date you can do it.  Use sparingly. But be aware they also make a screw locking liquid that makes it very difficult to remove, let alone adjust.  This product is available at any hardare or automotive parts store. 

Before Locktite, we used the wife's fingernail polish.  Just use it very sparingly. 

If the screws feel loose in the threaded hole(s) it's usually because the hole threads are worn and not the screw.  Of course if the screw is obviously the wrong one, then by all means get a replacement.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:48:51 AM »

I was in the middle of a QSO and my paddles fell apart on me. I was very embarrassed to say the least. !!
The pivot adjustments wiggled out of place and they do not have anything to lock them in place.
The paddle is a CT Ham Iambic dual lever paddle. I know that there is a compound called gliptal that I
used to use in the military, but I dont want to glue the adjustments in place so I can never adjust them.
Is there anything out there other then a glue or thread lock that I can use? I want to be able to adjust the piviots
or even disasemble the paddle for cleaning at times.

Bob, KH2BR

There are several tricks you can use to tighten up a loose or loose-holding screw. First on to try might be winding a cotton thread or sewing thread (sized to fill the looseness) around the screw shaft, in the valleys of the machined threads, to provide some surface for the matching screwhole thread peaks to grab ahold of. The thread will act as a filler and tighten up the looseness. If that doesn't work, I have heard of taking a small flat faced hammer and a flat hard surface (like the hammer plate on a large vise) and tapping lighty (VERY LIGHTLY) around the screw shaft to flatten (widen) the peaks of the threads to help fill the gap in the loose threads.

Worst case would be to add a very (VERY) small amount (like a tiny drop at end of straightpin) of BLUE LockTite thread bond to the screw and thread it in place. This will provide a semi-permenant lock on the screw. You won't be able to loosen and adjust easily but it can be done and can be cleaned off the threads with solvent.

Good Luck,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:53:28 AM »

Loctite thread locker is glyptal.  blue for light hold, red for tight hold, green for never freakin' comes apart again.  for something like a key, I'd use nail polish, just a dab, after holding the brush for about a minute, so it doesn't seep in but holds on the surface.  need to readjust, chip it off with a knife.  otherwise, you have to fiddle around with acetone on a rag or Q-tip for a while to soften it.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »

Okay guys,

Now we know how you fix screws,
1. by slightly damaging the thread with a hammer
2. by a wire in the thread
3. by some brand of  screw position fixers

However when you read the question of the topic starter you may notice that his key is a
"CT Ham Iambic dual lever paddle"
Copy and paste  that  in google.com and you will find pictures that show you that there is a perpendicular fixing screw for fixing the trunnion in position.

Should you guys still use your hammer, thread and types of nailpaint , commercial screw fixers and so on, when there are perpendicular fixing screws visible in the design, made in order to fix the trunnion in the required position?

Bob
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »

Many stations will answer using their call only if they didn't catch yours but heard you calling CQ. And if they think you are DX (and many do) it is standard operating procedure for them to send their call only.
KH2BR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 11:37:43 PM »

Thanks for all of the replies guys, I will use some of the ideas and see if they will prevent me
from having loose screws on my paddle and not in my head.
The CT Ham Iambic dual lever paddle does have fixing screws on the upper left and right
but no fixing screws for the lower pivots. The lower ones are the ones that are working loose.
well, atleast it is simple to fix and has very few screws unlike some of the things that I work on and I seem to have a few extra screws left over when I finish working on them.

Thanks again,  Bob KH2BR/W6
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 10:13:02 AM »

Okay guys,

Now we know how you fix screws,
1. by slightly damaging the thread with a hammer
2. by a wire in the thread
3. by some brand of  screw position fixers

However when you read the question of the topic starter you may notice that his key is a
"CT Ham Iambic dual lever paddle"
Copy and paste  that  in google.com and you will find pictures that show you that there is a perpendicular fixing screw for fixing the trunnion in position.

Should you guys still use your hammer, thread and types of nailpaint , commercial screw fixers and so on, when there are perpendicular fixing screws visible in the design, made in order to fix the trunnion in the required position?

Bob

Well EXCCCUUUUSSSSEEEEEE us!!!!!!!

Title says "Need thread lock ideas ....." and that is what we gave him. He didn't ask us to verify the design of the keyer!!!!!!!!!!!

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: