Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KH1 - Baker-Howland Island - Anyone need it?  (Read 3260 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »

I worked the very FB DX-pedition of K1B about 10 years ago, and have all bands and modes from 80-10M.

Its #14 on Clublog most wanted and #25 on the DX Pub list.

I'm surprised you don't hear much about this one . . .
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 07:16:26 PM »

I'm guessing it's off limits to the public like Kingman.  That's why we don't hear much about it.

Jonathan W6GX
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 08:07:47 PM »

I think you can go there with special permission. According to WIkipedia, for Baker Island:

"Public entry to the island is by special-use permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service only and is generally restricted to scientists and educators. Representatives from the agency visit the island on average once every two years, often coordinating transportation with amateur radio operators or the U.S. Coast Guard to defray the high cost of logistical support required to visit this remote atoll"

The wikipedia entry for Howland Island says the same thing.  I assume it is possible to get permission for a DXpedition.  Dr. Hrane (who lead the K1B DXpedition) seems really good at getting things coordinated with the government.  If KP5 could be activated a few years ago, I am sure KH1 can be also.  Not sure why there haven't been any recent DXpeditions there.  Glad I worked K1B on 40-10 all three modes.  That was a great DXpedition.

Wish we could see a serious DXpedition to Wake Island, and back to Kure again.  I would really like to see the South Sandwich Islands activated again, as that is the only entity I need in the Western Hemisphere.

John AF5CC
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »

In Short....Yes!.... Roll Eyes

V
KA3NRX
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:08:17 AM »

In Short....Yes!.... Roll Eyes

V
KA3NRX

ditto
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »

I could use it on 6 bands and 2 modes but I don't need it for an ATNO.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »

Would love to see this one activated. I need it for ATNO.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 01:44:11 PM »

Wish we could see a serious DXpedition to Wake Island, and back to Kure again.  I would really like to see the South Sandwich Islands activated again, as that is the only entity I need in the Western Hemisphere.

John AF5CC

Wake might be a tough nut to crack, since it is essentially a high security missile facility. I believe Intrepid has tried and has been turned down.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 01:20:03 PM »

Although I worked KB6CU way back in the 70's, it was only on one band and mode, 20 SSB. So I wouldn't mind getting a bunch of band fills if it was activated again Smiley

It seems very strange that most of the US Islands are in the Clublog Top 20: Navassa, Kingman Reef, Palmyra & Jarvis, Baker & Howland, and Wake. With Johnston and Kure Islands not too far behind at 21 and 24. How things have changed!

John K7KB
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 03:23:20 PM »

Looking back, I worked AH1A on Jan/Feb 1993. Some ssb and some cw. No rtty.

That was a long time ago now.

Mark N1UK
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 05:40:02 PM »

Yes I need KH1 for atno.
W4RS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 03:10:14 AM »

nope wked 10 thru 160 when k4au, and wa4ffw and joe were there. i was a pilot station also.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 04:11:31 AM »

K1B did a good job of cleaning it out for NA. I was still a n00b DXer at the time but even then I got 'em on 10-15-20 SSB. I could use some bandfills, CW and RTTY but frankly I'm content to let this one sit inactive for another few years since there are still a bunch that haven't been activated since I've been on the air.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »

[/quote]

Wake might be a tough nut to crack, since it is essentially a high security missile facility. I believe Intrepid has tried and has been turned down.
[/quote]

Actually I believe it's an Air Force facility largely in caretaker status, minimally manned, with some support type stuff there for COMMS, etc.  I don't know all the "ins and outs" but I suspect the Commander didn't see much reward in the risk of having a group of civilian hams come out to the island - IE someone gets sick or injured and needs to be medivaced. 

Probably similar policy to KG4 where you have to either have military orders or be invited there by one of the residents (which themselves are military or military contractors).

I manage the two Coast Guard buoy tenders in Hawaii (from a planned maintenance perspective) and they often visit the KH's - KH4, KH7K, KH1, KH5, ETC.  They rarely spend more than a few hours in these places however (aside from KH4 which has some facilities).  Generally anchor overnight and have some island liberty for a few hours for the crew to get R&R and explore a little bit.  Not really accommodating from a DXpedition standpoint, which is one reason I haven't pursued assignment on one.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 07:33:39 PM »

i need it.

paul
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: