Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon's $50 dual-band HTs  (Read 7534 times)
KI4EYO

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:51:25 PM »

Has anyone used any of these very cheap HTs that Amazon is now selling? They are fulfilled by Amazon, meaning they qualify for Amazon's full return policy. I'm thinking of getting one.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&h=c4df2f4c2533256a6cd2f044b2761292b66abf1f&keywords=wouxun&linkCode=ur2&qid=1353829462&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Awouxun&scn=172282&tag=amzn-product-20
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 06:26:23 AM »

I got one--not from Amazon, but from a dealer.  When I received it, the darn thing wouldn't work.  Charged the battery, checked and cleaned the contacts, in short, did everything but open the thing up to troubleshoot it.  It still didn't work.  When I returned it, the dealer told me that it was a common problem, but the things worked well.  How they 'worked well' if that was a common problem is beyond me! 

I was offered a replacement, but opted for a refund.  No thanks--I won't order another. 
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 06:51:57 AM »

why pay $50... they are $39 on ebay.
KI4EYO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:32:14 AM »

why pay $50... they are $39 on ebay.

They are $39 on Amazon too. Because of the 2-day shipping and long return policy. See

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006J4G49C/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006J4G49C&linkCode=as2&tag=amzn-product-20
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 05:54:09 PM »

I bought 3 of these at a HAMFEST for $110. All 3 worked fine right out of the box, and have been reliable radios. Wide band rx-tx a plus also. At this price they are "disposable".
N2LWE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »

I don't own one, but heard many people complain that they are very difficult to program and feel like what they cost. In other words, you get what you pay for.
VE5EDB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »

I have a UV-3R.  One of the older ones with the single display, and I absolutely love it.  I computer program everything, so programming was not an issue for me.  I would never attempt to completely program a ham radio manually.  It's a pain.  They are advertised at 2 watts and mine puts out slightly better than that.  I am hearing impaired, and this radio has way better audio quality, than they several hundred dollar commercial radios my government employer uses.  I have never had a problem with it.  They are tiny and can fit in a shirt pocket.  If this was a 5 watt radio it would definately be my main HT.  I am considering purchasing a UV-5R now, and if it is as good as the 3R it WILL be my primary HT.  I hear all the grumblings about "buying local" and "I would never buy Chinese junk", and thats fine with me.  It would cost me over $30. in shipping alone to buy this radio in The U.S. or Canada, so I have stopped buying locally until such time as I can afford to buy in North America.  Seriously, what can you buy here for $30?Huh?  Not even a battery or a programming cable.  I used to be a die hard Motorola guy, but with the prices they want and their near gangster type protection of their software I have sold most of them off.  The last "used" Motorola mobile I purchased cost me $275. and another $57. in shipping from within the U.S.A.  I recently purchased two mobiles from china new for about that price for two and one was a dual band.  I can't wait until they start selling HF rigs from China for under $500., and I am sure they will someday soon.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:03:16 AM »

I ordered a couple of UV-5Rs from Amazon for $43 each and, since I have Amazon Prime, I got free two day shipping.  You can't beat that, especially with Amazon's return policy.  I ordered a programming cable from Amazon for $6.  You can download "CHIRP" which is the best programming software to use for free.   Had both of mine programmed in under 20 minutes including figuring out how to install the USB cable driver in Windows 8.  

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-136-174-400-480-Dual-Band/dp/B007H4VT7A/keywords=uv-5r

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Cable-Baofeng-UV-5R-Radio/dp/B008ORT9OY/ref=pd_sim_e_11

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Also, just purchased the newest UV-5R+ from Amazon for < $60, same free two day shipping, for my nephew.  It is an upgraded version of the UV-5R and the voice menus are clear English now.

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-Dual-Band-Stubborn-Enhanced-Features/dp/B0097252UK/keywords=uv-5r%2B

Gene
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:17:25 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 07:54:43 AM »

...At this price they are "disposable".

That's the problem with society today.  Just about everything made is disposable.  And what do we get?  Problems with the disposal of disposable items. 

That's one thing that the older radios have over the newer ones--the ability to be more easily repaired.  No need to learn yet another set of instructions, just get the set repaired--and it still works the way you're used to working it.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 03:46:48 AM »

...At this price they are "disposable".

That's the problem with society today.  Just about everything made is disposable.  And what do we get?  Problems with the disposal of disposable items. 
How original.  I wonder how many times I have heard that said in my lifetime?

That's one thing that the older radios have over the newer ones--the ability to be more easily repaired.  No need to learn yet another set of instructions, just get the set repaired--and it still works the way you're used to working it.

Yeah, and the 'good old' radios that were 'fixable' were like trying to carry around a concrete block.  And they were very expensive adjusted to today's dollar. 

Gene

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 04:31:59 AM »

And a lot of them worked a whole lot better than the 'disposable' junk that is made over in China today.

Just about everything made is disposable.  And what do we get?  Problems with the disposal of disposable items.  
You may have heard that said a lot--but the only time you'll really remember it is when you're hip deep in the garbage that you want to get rid of--but can't--because there isn't any place to throw it away anymore.

And yeah--you've heard that before too.  Remember it.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:54:24 AM »

And a lot of them worked a whole lot better than the 'disposable' junk that is made over in China today.

Just about everything made is disposable.  And what do we get?  Problems with the disposal of disposable items.  
You may have heard that said a lot--but the only time you'll really remember it is when you're hip deep in the garbage that you want to get rid of--but can't--because there isn't any place to throw it away anymore.

And yeah--you've heard that before too.  Remember it.

Welcome to 2012.  In case you missed it, almost every consumer item made today is disposable whether it is made in China or elsewhere.  Even in Ham radio, just try getting a handheld made in Japan fixed without exceeding its purchase cost.  Good luck.  Keep on wishing for the good old days though if it makes you feel better.

Gene
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:13 AM »

Is this only a 2 round event?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 04:07:11 AM »

Yep.  I'm not going to prolong it or change my opinion--and it's obvious he isn't going to change his.  73!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:10:03 AM by K1CJS » Logged
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 04:56:05 PM »

To VE5EDB, I also wonder why the Chinese haven't stepped deeper into the amateur/commercial market. Kenwood seems to make ham equipment almost as a side line to the commercial radios they make. We use some K'wood commercial hand helds from time to time out on my buddy's farm. Very nice radios.
However, I'll be willing to wager, some of the boards, etc in the high $ radios of the "big 3" come from China. I know the speakers and power supplies do.
When I used to travel to Tokyo on a regular basis, I was quite surprised that the cost of a radio from Icom, etc was NOT a whole lot cheaper than the same radio from a USA distributor. What was REALLY surprising was the much cheaper cost of accessories like xtal filters over there. Although I did buy some radios on different trips, I should have loaded my suitcase with accessories.
A chat with a nice Japanese chap concerning some nice Seiko watches, indicated that although the parts were made in Japan, these parts were sent to China for assembly, then shipped back to Japan for sale.
Being a target rifle shooter, I purchase a lot of mid to high end riflescopes. Most of the USA companies (Weaver, Burris, Leupold, Millett) now get their scopes from China. Some of the high end models, get the glass from Japan then send the parts to China or the Phillipines for assembly. The Japanese glass is second in quality only to the best European glass. Some of the best 'scopes in my collection are old (1970s vintage) Japanese models. When I bought them, I was frankly kinda embarrassed, 'cause all my shooting buddies made fun of the "Made in Japan" moniker... The Japanese have come a long way, but China is doing so at an accelerated rate.
The thing all boils down to this:
The Chinese are VERY capable of making VERY high quality items, IF you are willing to pay. If not, the Wal-Mart buyers drive down the price (and hence, the quality) of the Chinese goods, and as a result, it's good old "you get what you pay for"....

ron
n4ue
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: