Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: non-contest station allowed to QSO contest station?  (Read 4564 times)
NX5MK

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:28:11 PM »

I don't do contest, just don't have the time (professionally) to devote to hours of contesting. If I made a signal exchange report with a contest station (just for the fun of it), would the contest station still get his points? Would I need to turn in a QSL log to the contest organisers for the contest station to get his points?
I'd like to operate a few stations when I see them, but also want them to get the points that they are striving for.

Sorry for the simplistic question, I have no contester at hand to ask and elmer me in that regard.

vy 73 de Marcus KD0JKM
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:00:46 PM »

This question comes up all the time.

No, you don't have to be "In The Contest" (e.g. submit a log to the contest organizers) for stations you contact to get points for your QSO.

Contest stations are grateful for every contact -- they ALL count.

But make at least a couple of contacts. If you make only one, you'll come up as "unique" when the logs are checked -- and it's better if you're not.

Check the contest rules (or listen a bit) so that you'll know the correct "exchange" -- the information the contest station needs from you. It often --but doesn't always-- includes a signal report, usually combined with some other information (e.g. name, state, IARU or CQ Zone, etc.)

If the exchange includes a signal report, tell the contest station he's "5-9" even if he's not.

Have fun!

Mel - KS2G

W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 06:08:49 AM »

I really enjoy contests as a way to add odd countries and also, to find out how my signal is getting out.  When I was first licensed, it was essential to finding out the limits of my antenna.  But like the poster, I never enter.

Sam
W9KDX
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 08:34:04 AM »

Sorry for the simplistic question, I have no contester at hand to ask and Elmer me in that regard.

It's a good question to ask! Here's a link to the "Contesting Compendium" for more background info.
LINK: http://wiki.contesting.com/index.php/Main_Page

Start "small" with State QSO parties like the Arkansas one in September.
LINK for Contest Calendar: http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/stateparties.html

You'll enjoy it more knowing the rules / procedures and it does help you find out what your station capabilities are to different parts of the world. Good Luck!

73 de WA2ONH   ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 07:46:43 AM »

I was also curious about that. I like to make lots of contacts during a contest but never turn them in. Still lots of fun because you never know what or who you will hear. Also its fun to try and break up some of the pile ups that you often hear.
73 Jim. W5JJG
NX5MK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 04:42:13 PM »

Thank you to all for elmering me! I also followed the links and look forward to more QSOs!

Wishing all a very Happy 2013,

vy 73 de Marcus KD0JKM
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »

I like to make lots of contacts during a contest but never turn them in.

You should turn in your logs, especially for
ARRL contests
. They award nice win certificates
for top scores in your ARRL Section and your category.
It's a nice way to get some spiffy wallpaper for
your shack, especially if you live in one of the
smaller sections. Plus sometimes you just never know...
you might get the Section Win anyway (in a larger section).
The first time I got one it blew me away, really fun!  Cheesy

And with most logging software, exporting the
stndard Cabrillo Format log is just a few mouse clicks.
Three minutes after the contest ends, your log
and already be submitted.
73, Ken  AD6KA
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 03:34:50 PM »

The next two weekends are the North American QSO Parties for CW and SSB (http://www.ncjweb.com/naqprules.php). This is a great way to dabble in contesting, make LOTS of contacts, work on Worked All States award (with reasonable effort and time, you can work all 50 in one day), and have a lot of fun. Everyone is limited to 100 watts, so the playing field is pretty level. The exchange is simply your name and state. And the contest is only 12 hours long, which means you can be competitive without having to sit at the radio for 2 days straight.
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »

I'll second that.  I'll be putting in a fairly serious effort for the CW portion and get on when I can for phone (we'll have visitors, so can't dedicate too much time that weekend).

Still need North Dakota for WAS!   Grin

NAQP is a contest where you can be competitive with simple antennas and a barefoot rig.  It's a hoot!

Bob WP2XX
K2TTM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 11:38:28 AM »

According to the rules of the North American QSO Party multipliers include the US, Canada and "other North American countries"  Obviously Mexico & other Latin American countries qualify, but what about Puerto Rico, the American Virgin Islands and the Bahamas?  Do they count as "North American Countries"?

Mike
K2TTM

99.9% of the time I'm on the air, I'll be on CW.
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 03:34:21 AM »

Yes.  From http://www.ncjweb.com/naqplogguidance.php -

For North American countries, other than the US and Canada, use the standard ARRL DXCC entity prefixes. Other abbreviations are acceptable as long as they unambiguously designate the QTH. For example, AL will be interpreted as Alabama, not Alaska or Alberta. A blank or "DX" for the copied QTH is only acceptable for logging QSOs with stations outside of North America. Lists of standard abbreviations [for North American DXCC entities] can be found at

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/DXCC/dxcclist_2012.txt

If it says "NA" under Continent on that list, it counts as North America for NAQP multipliers.  Virtually all of the Caribbean islands in the from Cuba south through the Windward Islands to (but not including) Trinidad are NA, as well as Greenland and Bermuda and what we call Central America down to and including Panama.  There's a BUNCH of NA DXCC entities, enough to make NAQP interesting.  I heard at least three KP2 stations on, and some Cubans.

Make sense?

Cheers,

Bob WP2XX
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 06:05:35 AM »

Item 1:  Just jump in, listen for what the exchange is, and start giving yours out.  We appreciate each contact and dont ask questions.
Item 2:  If you get around to it, submit your log.  Most logs are computer files emailed in.  Once you get the hang of it, its no big deal.  BUT, f you dont know how to do it, dont let that stop you from having a little fun, and helping the contesters out. 

Hope to see you in the contests, beginning with the CQWW 160M CW contest  the last week of this month.  160 is wall to wall signals, 4-5-6 deep. Its amazing how the lesser used bands come alive at contest time.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 07:33:20 PM »

I like to make lots of contacts during a contest but never turn them in.

You should turn in your logs, especially for
ARRL contests
. They award nice win certificates
for top scores in your ARRL Section and your category.
It's a nice way to get some spiffy wallpaper for
your shack, especially if you live in one of the
smaller sections. Plus sometimes you just never know...
you might get the Section Win anyway (in a larger section).
The first time I got one it blew me away, really fun!  Cheesy

And with most logging software, exporting the
stndard Cabrillo Format log is just a few mouse clicks.
Three minutes after the contest ends, your log
and already be submitted.
73, Ken  AD6KA
As I just posted in another thread, I'm no serious contester, I just dabble with search and pounce but I always send my logs in.  One year I won my section in the ARRL 10 meter contest. Blew me away when the certificate arrived in the mail. Turns out only one other op in my category and state bothered to send in a log that year and I bested him by a few points. Still got it framed and hung on my shack wall to this day though!! Cheesy
Michael, W4HIJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: