Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scotland  (Read 8120 times)
N2RJ

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2014, 07:05:22 AM »

If Scotland becomes independent, what will happen? It's already a separate entity.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:10:23 AM »

I think you just answered your own question.

John AE5X
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »

We'll get a new prefix..

73 Col, MM0NDX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:00:59 PM »

Given the huge push by the No side, and the fact it's ahead by 5-7 points, I think it'll be moot in just a few days anyways.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:55:42 PM »

Would an independent Scotland have any effect of island groups in or around that area?  Maybe Rockall would then become an entity since its distance would then be measured from some other part of the UK and not Scotland.

73 John AF5CC
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 08:56:34 PM »

We'll get a new prefix..

73 Col, MM0NDX

Col,

If it were up to you, what available prefix would you like?  I always thought one of the X## prefixes would be cool.

73 John AF5CC
AF6WL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »

If it were up to you, what available prefix would you like?  I always thought one of the X## prefixes would be cool.

The VS block seems unused and allocated to the UK.
It would work well for a former colonial possession -  similar to VE,VK,VU etc.

Donald AF6WL/GM1OIN
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 11:23:28 PM »

Given the huge push by the No side, and the fact it's ahead by 5-7 points, I think it'll be moot in just a few days anyways.

I wouldn't say sending up 3 party leaders from Westminster with a week to go, none of whom are representative of the people of Scotland, is a "huge push". That simply added more Yes votes yesterday!

It's not a fact they are 5-7 points ahead. Take the last pro-UK govt poll for example: 51% Yes, 49% No. That's why the panic set in and the "push" was made.

73 Col, MM0NDX
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 11:26:11 PM »

Z5 is available along with a few others, hi. Too early to speculate, but can always look at the ITU prefix table http://www.itu.int/online/mms/glad/cga_callsign.sh?lang=en

Rockall would not become a new DXCC entity because of its size. Yes, it's far enough away from the Scottish mainland to qualify for a brand new DXCC, but it's just too small in size.

We'll get a new prefix..

73 Col, MM0NDX

Col,

73 John AF5CC
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 05:08:07 AM »

I hope Rockall doesn't qualify, ever.  We have enough of these "dinky rock" kinds of entities. 

They just don't impress me.  More trouble than they are worth.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 09:10:48 PM »

Rockall would not become a new DXCC entity because of its size. Yes, it's far enough away from the Scottish mainland to qualify for a brand new DXCC, but it's just too small in size.

Rockall looks fairly large from the pictures I see of it-bigger than KH5K or YV0.  How much larger would it have to be to qualify?

73 John AF5CC
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 11:18:34 PM »

Rockall looks fairly large from the pictures I see of it-bigger than KH5K or YV0.  How much larger would it have to be to qualify?

To which Rockall replied "Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you?" Rockall could not be added as a political entity, but (and I'm not aware of the actual distances), as an Island entity, why not? In fact, if it's more than 350km from the mainland, why is it not a DXCC entity already under existing rules?

b) Island Areas (Separation by Water):

A new entity results in the case of an island under any of the following conditions:

i) The island is separated from its Parent, and any other islands that make up the DXCC entity that contains the Parent, by 350 kilometers or more. Measurement of islands in a group begins with measurement from the island containing the capital city. Only one entity of this type may be attached to any Parent.

ii) The island is separated from its Parent by 350 kilometers or more, and from any other island attached to that Parent in the same or a different island group by 800 kilometers or more.

Since, according to the Wikipedia article I just skimmed over, it's claimed exclusively now by the UK, as a part of Scotland, if Scotland becomes a fully independent nation, Rockall could very well qualify under section 2(ii).

Col, what is the general feeling in Scotland? My take as a foreigner who only reads a few UK news sites on occasion, is that the heart wants independence but the practical -- and financial -- realities are pushing the ledger inexorably the other way. Big banking and big industry want a No vote, but in the end, I guess all I can hope for as an outsider (and a huge single malt whisky fan) is a result that will be the most beneficial for the Scots in the long run.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 12:26:30 AM »

We'll get a new prefix..

73 Col, MM0NDX

Just wondered Col, is there any governing amateur radio body in the wings in Scotland to take over from the RSGB? On the birght side, you may get a regulator better than Ofcom, hard to think you'd get a worse one  Grin

Andy
London'ish
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »

There is a feeling the Yes campaign can do this. I personally think it will be very close, and for that, the outcome is not going to please around half the population. But, a new nation can flourish and some would argue that Scotland needs to breakaway from the rest of the UK to do just this.

The scare stories, particularly from the No group have been dreadful. Some without any basis whatsoever. People now start to see through these scares and it simply adds more Yes votes (that's why recent polls have been close). I could bang on about the BBC (they are supposed to be impartial) but I won't. All I'll say is do not watch the BBC if you're looking for a balanced view. They make Russia Today less propagandist!

Funny, but in an independent Scotland the price of whisky will fall. All taxes will be managed differently from the UK customs and excise, so whisky being a huge exporter will more than pay for itself if the price drops a few bucks Smiley

Big banking and businesses do not want a No vote. This is the BBC again propagating untruths. Watch this rebuttal http://wingsoverscotland.com/handed-back-on-a-plate/

@ M0TTB - with regards a new Scottish licensing authority, in the event of independence, currently nothing is set up. I would think an equivalent of RSGB or even Ofcom would be easy enough to start-up.

73 Col, MM0NDX

To which Rockall replied "Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you?" Rockall could not be added as a political entity, but (and I'm not aware of the actual distances), as an Island entity, why not? In fact, if it's more than 350km from the mainland, why is it not a DXCC entity already under existing rules?

b) Island Areas (Separation by Water):

A new entity results in the case of an island under any of the following conditions:

i) The island is separated from its Parent, and any other islands that make up the DXCC entity that contains the Parent, by 350 kilometers or more. Measurement of islands in a group begins with measurement from the island containing the capital city. Only one entity of this type may be attached to any Parent.

ii) The island is separated from its Parent by 350 kilometers or more, and from any other island attached to that Parent in the same or a different island group by 800 kilometers or more.

Since, according to the Wikipedia article I just skimmed over, it's claimed exclusively now by the UK, as a part of Scotland, if Scotland becomes a fully independent nation, Rockall could very well qualify under section 2(ii).

Col, what is the general feeling in Scotland? My take as a foreigner who only reads a few UK news sites on occasion, is that the heart wants independence but the practical -- and financial -- realities are pushing the ledger inexorably the other way. Big banking and big industry want a No vote, but in the end, I guess all I can hope for as an outsider (and a huge single malt whisky fan) is a result that will be the most beneficial for the Scots in the long run.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 08:46:21 AM »

It appears to be too small.

It isn't just rule b ii) anymore.

It also has to satisfy the definition of an island "for the purposes of this award":

Island: A naturally formed area of land surrounded by water, the surface of which is above water at high tide. For the purposes of this award, it must consist of connected land, of which at least two surface points must be separated from each other by not less than 100 meters measured in a straight line from point to point. All of the connected land must be above the high tide mark, as demonstrated on a chart of sufficient scale. For the purposes of this award, any island, reef, or rocks of less than this size shall not be considered in the application of the water separation criteria described in Part 2 of the criteria.

Assuming Wikipedia is correct, it is probably only 28 meters across (it gives the "area" as about 784 meters, which is just about 28 meters squared and the object does look fairly square/circular in pictures).

I guess the league is tired of dinky entities also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: